Stalwart 1 - Me and Phil 0

ArtistsRifles

Went down to the Stalwart today to swap the clutch master cylinder over with Phil who is my #2 when we go out anywhere. We were full of good ideas as to getting the old, leaky clutch master out, new one in and bled. :-)

5 pain filled hours latter we had to admit defeat! :oops: :oops: :oops:

No way could we get the carrier bolts to undo and absolutely no way could either of us reach the upper "In" union to undo it. Only thought right now is Tim said he had a phone number for a guy up in the Midlands who charged £100/day to work on them - but wanted a full days work. Well I reckon getting the clutch master out, bleeding it and taking care of a couple of badly leaking hub seals should take care of the day so I'm going to have to go that route.

On the plus side we got all the swim boards off and dismantled ready for a repaint as well as the cab stripped ready for prepping and painting. Roof and around the glazing are the worst bits.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

His name is John and he works down the road from me about 4 miles away, when he is in the county at his workshop. He done a lot of work on my mates stolly, very good and very quick, he likes a lot of work for the day to keep him busy.

Honestly can't remember folks - I e-mailed Tim Haines tonight to ask him!!

Do you reckon 2 or leaking hub seals and the clutch and throttle hydraulics would make a good days work for him??

And do you think would he mind me rubbernecking and learning as he went???

Just got off the phone to John - bad news!! :cry: :cry: He's fully booked for the next 6 months AND is a victim of Major Whately (sp?) from the Cavalry. One of his mates has literally just been told his Stalwart and Ferret are also required - 6 weeks to go and the Stalwart's got no brakes - or brake lines, no exhaust and needs a total repaint....

John's given me a few ideas on how to do the job - apparently takes him 40 minutes to remove one - one of the issues right now is I ain't exactly slim-line and some of those tight gaps mean the old arm wedges short of it's target. Worst comes to worst I might have to leave that until after the June event, keep on pouring oil in and just get the hub seal sorted so the HouseHold Cavalry RSM doesn't have apoplexy at oil dripping on his holy ground!! :-(

This is where having a tall, thin freak friend helps. Being short, and having not yet bought enough "shares" in the local brewery company :beer: can also an advantage... :whistle:

:BANNED!:

Hey grasshopper, why don't we give up your full-time job and my part-time ones and become travelling MV repairmen?

You'd probably make a fortune - and spend half of that on medical care!!!! :-) :-)

If I thought I could make enough money I'd willingly take it up as a career. The problem is I fear many hobby owners wouldn't be prepared to pay a living wage for time spent working on their vehicles. :|

If I thought I could make enough money I'd willingly take it up as a career. The problem is I fear many hobby owners wouldn't be prepared to pay a living wage for time spent working on their vehicles. :|

John does :dunno:

RR Services, A+S etc. seem to make it pay And if you provide a moile service you haven't got the fixed overheads of a workshop and related expenses such as security, lighting, heating, power etc. to worry about...

I suspect a good few owners would be prepared to pay reasonable rates for such a service if the quality was 1st class.

Might be worth trying it - it's one way to cover educational costs and enjoy yourself at the same time :-)

Exactly my point Mick. Classic example - we spent 5 hours last Saturday trying to get that damned cylinder out & still haven't managed it yet. Talking to John Dew on the phone the other nght he reckons on getting one out in around 40 Minutes!!!

Knowledge and experience are wonderfull things - and worth paying for :-) :-) :-)

That's exactly the conclusion I reached a couple of years back after yet another struggle with something or other & wasting a load of time which could have been better spent on other things . There are just some jobs that it really is worthwhile paying someone else to sort out for you . One reason why my mog is not here yet - since it was delivered it has been in the yard of the guy who maintains our lorries having a few awkward essentials sorted . he does it as and when he can and for a reasonable rate so I'm happy & so is he .

RR Services, A+S etc. seem to make it pay And if you provide a moile service you haven't got the fixed overheads of a workshop and related expenses such as security, lighting, heating, power etc. to worry about...

I suspect a good few owners would be prepared to pay reasonable rates for such a service if the quality was 1st class.

Time to throw off my disguise and pseudonym :-D, some forum members all ready know me. I have a business dedicated to repairing and restoring military vehicles, started in 1996 after the REME Workshops that I worked in for 22 years, closed, so that is 33 years of full time working on MV's. Initially I was mobile all of the time but when restoration work came along, a workshop was found, then I moved to a larger one with good facilities. Work has been done for well known collections and museums as well as private collectors, at home and abroad.

I too have a well booked schedule, mainly of workshop based restorations.

Based just South of Ashford, Kent. Always willing to give advice either over phone or email.

Richard Farrant

F.V. Restorations & Repairs

• 2 weeks later...

Exactly my point Mick. Classic example - we spent 5 hours last Saturday trying to get that damned cylinder out & still haven't managed it yet. Talking to John Dew on the phone the other nght he reckons on getting one out in around 40 Minutes!!!

Knowledge and experience are wonderfull things - and worth paying for :-) :-) :-)

I bet someone really clever could get it off & re-fitted in 30minutes :whistle:

Time for torque wrenches at 20 paces :? :whistle:

If you want to make it into a competition, you can refurbish my landrover at beltring-person who does their half in the quickest time gets the prize :-D (of nothing).

(and I know it's a boring vehicle-but I've not got the storage room to ferret anything else away) :yawn2:

what some one like this ;-)width=640 height=480http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g10/saracenstump/cameraphotos287.jpg[/img]

Neil all you need too do is bleed it as a very bendy lee fitted the new one today :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D