Another Chassis Identification Required

BenHawkins

The seven spoke wheels must relate to some particular manufacturer? Vehicle was originally purchased following WWI and reduced in length for its use as the undercarriage of the lion's cage [part of which was still attached when I purchased it over 30 years ago!]

I assume that is a rear live axle I can see rather than being chain driven?

I do not recognise the spring hangers, or those round bars going across the chassis, and cannot quite see what they do.

Finally - are their any markings on the wheel hubs?

Nice find, and reminds me of some old trailers or truck chassis I saw abandoned at the Warren in Ashford some 30 years ago.

trevor

In the top photo you can just about make out the void in the middle of the rear axle where the drive would go. The rear spring hangers are quite distinctive as are the front dumb irons which curve back on themselves.

One of the tubes between the chassis rails appears to operate the brakes, the other two appear to brace the chassis rails apart.

Note the front axle curves forward, not downward. Photo no. 3 shows a front spring indicating this position on the axle. The king pins are lying horizontal in the image further supporting the front curved axle. The front axle has a hexagonal shaped bearing cap.

As for a manufacturers name to it, some more research is needed.

Doug

I can't hazard a guess yet as to what this is, but I'm pretty sure it is not a Berliet, although the wheels bear a very close resemblance. Weren't Berliet trucks of this era chain drive?

Looking very closely at the front axle, I think it is simply dropped downwards; the appearance of being curved forwards being an illusion caused by the curvature and the viewing angle.

With those 7 spoke wheels Berliet does look to be a likely contender. Not sure which model though. Not the CBA as that was chain drive. Something much smaller. Not as early as 1906 either as I would think that the wheels would have been wooden.

Edited by Great War truck

With those 7 spoke wheels Berliet does look to be a likely contender. Not sure which model though. Not the CBA as that was chain drive. Something much smaller. Not as early as 1906 either as I would think that the wheels would have been wooden.

If Wikipedia is to be believed, the CBA was the only model of lorry produced by Berliet during WW1 and through the 1920's, which would seem to rule out Berliet as the identity of these remains.

Not directly relevant to this thread but something I came across whilst trying to solve the mystery; a Berliet Anti-Aircraft lorry in Romanian service: http://mailer.fsu.edu/~akirk/tanks/romania/Rom-berliet.jpg

Note the 8-spoke wheels!

Edited by mtskull

The US Army LIBERTY trucks WWI had seven spoke wheels......! Going to check out the hubs, watch this space.

I noticed that as well, but I thought that US trucks had wooden wheels? I am not sure though.

What makes of truck were using a diff that dropped in from the top?

trevor

Could we have the remains of two trucks here? The photos with wheels/axles etc belonging to one - I still lean toward Berliet. While the small pile of loose front chassis members have surely (grits his teeth) got to be from a smallish International. Robert

Note the front axle curves forward, not downward. Photo no. 3 shows a front spring indicating this position on the axle. The king pins are lying horizontal in the image further supporting the front curved axle. The front axle has a hexagonal shaped bearing cap.

As for a manufacturers name to it, some more research is needed.

Doug

Optical illusion Doug. It certainly drops down NOT forward.

Rick.

On looking at the photos again the curvature of the front axle is downwards. The angle of the image certainly plays tricks with the eyes! This lead took me off on a search of steam wagons where some have a curved front axle passing around a vertical boiler. No joy in locating a steamer with seven spoked wheels on solid rubber tyres.

The large spring hangers for the front of the rear springs are an identifiable feature, but I can't find any photos of trucks showing such parts.

Another possible is the British Berna truck, as the front spring mounts do appear similar, however the clarity of the photos I have as reference does not show the level of detail to positively say so. The Berna spoke wheel pattern is similar in shape to some examples having flat spokes while others have round spokes. Spoke numbers however are not matching to the unknown chassis.

The spoke pattern is similar to that on Thornycroft model J and some Thornycroft castings were undertaken by Catton's Foundry, along with castings also for Yorkshire and Garrett steam wagons. If Catton's made the wheels for this chassis, it could have been an off the shelf casting pattern, with a minor change to the pattern to avoid upsetting the larger clients.

That is if Catton's made and owned the pattern.

All possible theories!

Doug

I measured the two parts of the chassis yesterday and confirm the o/a width of the rear chassis channels is 3’-0” [910mm]. The section used is 2” x 5 ½” [140mm]. The rear axle could have been top half worm drive, a la Dennis.

The o/a width of the front chassis channels is only 2’-5 ½” [750mm]. The section here is 2” x 5” [130mm]. Chassis construction is pure International and matches a photograph of an early such [wooden wheeled, solid tyre] truck.

Berliet lorries were generally chain drive. Both the French Berliet and American Liberty trucks had 7 spoked cast wheels. Would these have fitted other manufacturers axle stubs? or are the axles off another vehicle all together? Would the bolts be Metric/Whitworth/BSF/AF/BA? As I intend to sell these parts it would be useful to know what I really have for sale!

Regarding previous use, the lion’s cage was in a static menagerie which supplied wild animals for sale between the wars, and I believe during WW2 too.

The rear axle could have been top half worm drive, a la Dennis.

Chassis construction is pure International and matches a photograph of an early such [wooden wheeled, solid tyre] truck.

Berliet lorries were generally chain drive. Both the French Berliet and American Liberty trucks had 7 spoked cast wheels.

This is quite a conundrum, to be sure.

Those front chassis members are certainly Continental but as nothing on the rear chassis matches, are most likely not associated with the rest of the remains except in that they ended up in the same pile.

There are many photos of Liberty trucks on the web but, apart from having 7 spokes, the wheels don't resemble these ones.

As regards Berliet, I stand to be corrected if someone comes up with evidence to the contrary but, so far as I can ascertain, the CBA was the only model of lorry that Berliet made between the outbreak of WW1 and the end of the 1920's; as it used chain drive that would seem to rule out Berliet as the origin of these remains. There are also differences in the front axle and, although Berliet CBA wheels do strongly resemble the wheels in the photo, there are differences when subjected to close examination.

Sorry if this sounds rather negative; I would dearly love for someone on this forum to get to the bottom of this mystery but all good detective work begins with a process of elimination.

While these parts could be viewed as a pile of rust, these do represent sections of a vehicle that appears to be rare or unusual and therefore worth storing in anticipation of being available for a future restoration. The wheels, axles and associated parts are all suitable for use.

Once gone to scrap those parts are no longer available.

Save storage is needed, along with identification. One day the discovery of more matching parts could give rise to another significant rebuild.

I can't offer the storage as home is too far away, and we seem to pick up like pieces from within this country (NZ)of odd vehicles.

Doug