Sea Kings or Apaches, Which is your favourite image?

ARTBYDAVID

Definitly Sea Kings, they are a proper helicopter, can do any job asked of them!

I see then that you are not from Canada :-)...being an ex-Helo driver here, I thankfully spent my time on Chinook's and Twin Huey's...

Our sea kings....well....lets just say that the UK version is an entirely different bird (one that has had actual refits!). Case in point, I was stationed at St Hubert (South of Montreal) in the early-90's, and we had two land that were heading to the west cost. One had a hot start, and so they both stayed for a while, and I had a chance to check out the bird (I was Tac Hel) they were naval...so had to see how the other half lived.

Two things struck me;

1) upon landing, I was the officer in charge of the flight line that day, so, once they powered down, I went out to sort them for billets etc. The Flight Engineer had a stack of empty plastic butter containers, that he was busy placing on the decking....this was to catch all the "regular" hyd. oil leaks.....fun ! (he had a dozen of them...)

2) while getting a tour of the SK, i went forward past the Nav / ASW station, noting that the panel had RCN stamped on it....The Royal Canadain Navy was unified with the rest of the CF, almost 30 years before....this was the state of the art Nav panel.....

oh, and we are still flying them, with no replacement in sight, the crews deserve a medal for just turning rotors I think

ah..the old days :-)

Cheers

Nick (10 TAG, ret.)

CWC Canada

An old friend of mine was Chief of Quality Enginnering for Feild's Avation. He told me many stories of Sea Kings. :D Though any pilot and any aircraft that operate at night in a Force 12 to fly BETWEEN the upright legs of an oil rig that had brocken from tow and ended up on a reef off Gurnersey has to be admired. Give a good man a good tool.

For me it's the SAR Sea King, yellow bird in the snow has to be such a relief for many a stranded being.

It will be a shame to see them go next year and I really don't understand it. I believe that it's a good excuse for Prince Will to resign his commission and focus on his Royal duties.

Just a quick message to thank everyone for their input. there are some interesting comments, and considering the paintings were completed several years apart, I thought it would be nice to show them together to help with the question. I suppose in the end like a lot of things it boils down to personal preference.

Thank you again.