There must be an easier way out of here.

79x100

Question

Why is it, that since the big update, I can't get out of HMVF by using my "previous" button. I have to resort to that red cross in the corner and that takes me out of my Google home page as well.

This feeling trapped is something that I had really only previously noticed on some commercial sites and I assumed it was intended to stop me getting out until I had bought something.

Is there an easy way out ? Has someone dug a tunnel or do I have to go over the wire now that walking out through the main gate is no longer possible?

Could the Escape Committee advise me on this ?

Cheers,

Rich.

14 answers to this question

Thanks chaps, now I know what that nice little picture of a house does !

I'm afraid that "open another tab" has lost me completely - Is it an obscure reference to going off for a ciggie ?

It remains a puzzle to me that probably the most complicated thing most of us own comes without a handbook.

In my defence, I have to cope with Windows in Dutch. Mostly the language is not a problem anymore but when it comes to computers, I have to deal with a Dutch Nerd's translation of a word that an American teenager has thought up to describe something which could be explained quite simply in proper English. (My preference is for the turn of phrase found in 1930's Maintenance Manuals).

I'm afraid that "open another tab" has lost me completely - Is it an obscure reference to going off for a ciggie ?

Tabbed Browsing in IE7 http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/ie/default.mspx

What is tabbed browsing?

Tabbed browsing is a feature in Internet Explorer that allows you to open multiple websites in a single browser window. You can open webpages on new tabs, and switch between them by clicking the tab. If you have multiple tabs open, you can use Quick Tabs to easily switch to other tabs. The advantage is that you have fewer items open on the taskbar.

Now that I have worked out what we're talking about!

1. Tabbed browsing is new to IE7, but it's old hat to anyone who, as far as possible, has done away with it. It has been a feature of Firefox for about ever. Firefox is free, has a smaller footprint, blah, blah. Two problems:

1.1. you need IE to run Windows Update (a deliberate ploy by Microsoft to try and maintain a monopoly on the browser market).

1.2. Because many, many lazy web page writers create sloppy web pages using tools which work adequately with IE but don't bother to study and comform with ISO browser standards, or to test their web pages using other available and better browsers, their web pages only work properly with IE, which allows such poor work to go through. But that's enough of me and my soap box. And please note that HMVF works fine for me in Firefox, so no criticism implied here.

2. WRT to your own problem. If you want to go back to the page before HMVF, instead of left-clicking on the Back arrow top left, right-click on it and select the last but one page (which will appear second on the list beneath the HMVF page). Because HMVF is redirecting to another domain, when you left-click to go back one, it is repeatedly taking you back to the page which is then redirecting you forward to where you've just come from.

Of course I may have misunderstood you symptoms and be talking utter rowlocks.

Oh, I see... Well actually I still don't have a bloody clue. Why would I want to have lots of thingies open at one time ? Doesn't it just get confusing ? It sounds like trying to keep lots of balls in the air at once.

I've heard of "Firefox" but wouldn't dare to try swapping around with things like that.

Anyway, at least I now know for certain that there is no "maybe"... I am stupid !

Rich... I'm off to the garage to listen to the clockwork gramophone ! :-)

If you are worried by playing with the in-built systems - leave I.E alone and take a look at either:

http://www.opera.com/

or

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/

Both Opera and FireFox are FREE to download, feature tabbed browsing, can be installed alongside I.E. quite happily and are several magnitudes of order more secure for web browsing than I.E. could ever hope to be.

FireFox has a plug-in available called "IETab" which will render code as though viewed in I.E. thus overcoming the sloppy code problems!

Take a look and see what you think!!!

Rich,

I.E. is hooked into the operating system - a deliberate decision by Micro$oft to make peopel use I.E instead of other, better products for web browsing.

Becuasae of this it's too easy for an unscrupulous person to write malicous code and put it on a web site so that I.E. will execute it, thus in turn the PC's O/S and leave your PC open to infection, damage or data theft.

Opera and FireFox are stand-alone products that do not hook into the O/S and thus cannot be used as easily as I.E. for nefarious purposes. This is not to say they don't have their own little loopholes the bad guys can exploit - BUT - the big difference is both Opera and Mozilla (makers of FireFox) react as soon as the hole is identified and release security patches. With Microsoft you have to wait until the next patch release date.

To illustrate - take a look at the database on http://www.cert.org for the outstanding reported vulneabilities in 2007:

I.E. currently has 30

Opera currently has 0

FireFox has currently 3

Does that help???