Deciphering the rebuild plate on a Morris Quad

Stefano

Hello everyone.

Can anybody shed some light on the REME plate I have on my Quad? Also, is there any way of knowing the original census n° of the Quad before it became 81RD76?

Any help is much appreciated.

Stef

hi Stef,

This is not specifically a REME plate, it is a Ministry of Supply data plate and I believe that both workshop numbers on the plate are what is known as AAW, Army Auxiliary Workshops, in other words, contractors. These were often main dealers, garages, manufacturers service depots, etc. The post war number can be cross checked on what is known as a Key Card and could give a wartime number. The R in the registration number means it is a rebuild and therefore could be a mixed up vehicle and not totally original. I notice another couple of holes drilled in the side of the plate, where screws have been in the past, but no holes in the bodywork. This could mean it has been removed on a rebuild previously and changed over.

The army number might be found in the Key Card for that batch of numbers is still available, either Wally Dugan on this forum or the Royal Logistics Corps Museum at Deepcut may be able to help.

Richard,

You're quite right there - it is indeed a happily modified quad - it started life out as a (relatively) early MkII, but received a pretty thorough makeover to MkIII spec - Canvas roof, doors with windows, transfer case with disengageable front axle drive, etc - although there are still alot of MkII peculiarities (no l.h. front side window, early master cylinder with remote reservoir, central throttle pedal, early type front axle location...). The rebuild plate and makers plate numbers do match up however :)

IMG_5480_1_1.jpg

Richard,

You're quite right there - it is indeed a happily modified quad - it started life out as a (relatively) early MkII, but received a pretty thorough makeover to MkIII spec - Canvas roof, doors with windows, transfer case with disengageable front axle drive, etc - although there are still alot of MkII peculiarities (no l.h. front side window, early master cylinder with remote reservoir, central throttle pedal, early type front axle location...). The rebuild plate and makers plate numbers do match up however :)

Hi Stefano,

I think a lot of enthusiasts cannot get there head around the fact that when vehicles go through a rebuild programme they are not held rigidly to their original spec. The object of the exercise is to get a vehicle back in to use again and use what is available with any modifications embodied. Also engines are unlikely to be the original, although I have seen a few WW2 vehicles where the engines did match with records, so more than likely did not go through a rebuild programme.

Hi Stefano,

I think a lot of enthusiasts cannot get there head around the fact that when vehicles go through a rebuild programme they are not held rigidly to their original spec. The object of the exercise is to get a vehicle back in to use again and use what is available with any modifications embodied. Also engines are unlikely to be the original, although I have seen a few WW2 vehicles where the engines did match with records, so more than likely did not go through a rebuild programme.

I would have thought it pretty obvious that the earlier wartime vehicles were updated in many repects, especially when they were beneficial to the use of the vehicle - for example the permanent 4 wheel drive of the MkI and II quads was generally not considered A Good Thing, which is clearly why it was ditched for the MkIII. Motorcycle pannier frames are another that spring to mind - they were retrofitted to just about everything, or how many mid war pictures of CS8's and CDSW's do you see where the beautiful 8" CAV headlights have been ditched? All of them of course.. As for the engine, I've still to check the number on mine, but I'd be astounded if it was the original one.

Edited by Stefano

STEFANO

l have checked the lists of B VEHICLE RECORDS and yours is not listed as been at BEVERLEY/RLC DEEPCUT but not all is lost I seem to remember that the MORRIS QUAD record cards ARE at the tank museum BOVINGTON so save £25 and

E MAIL them and ask if they have you QUADS history card giving them your post war number 81 RD 76 and keep your

fingers crossed

REGARDS WALLY