Bedford MW

Davey089

Hello there... I've been reading this thread with great interest... Just got onto HMVF and I own an MW...

You asked about markings on the MW in your initial post but I'm unsure if you got a response...

If you were doing it up as late war British Army... Then you'd need the Divisional markings front and back... Mine has removable metal plates on the back board for markings...

The Z numbers go along the top of the doors (or along the bonnet - both are correct) and there is also a Z number on the rear...

by late late war it was stipulated that all vehicles were to have a large five pointed star (in a solid circle for British - this appears most common) on the largest horizontal surface... Usually the bonnet... It would be as large as physically possible...

Also so stars on the doors... No circle...

I actually haven't marked mine up with any stars as yet... Apparently drivers didn't like stars on the doors as they created fantastic aiming points!

There is also the question of whether to paint it 'Mickey Mouse'...

Have you decided what you are doing about a tarpaulin and canvas?

Have you got the correct 2 ton Ern Lake / Britool Jack?

Kind regards,

Pete

Hello Pete

Welcome to the forum , you'll find some very friendly and knowledgeable people on here who have helped me no end with my projects .

Thanks for the info on the stenciling .Interesting you ask about the "Micky Mouse" , an old comrade of my dads (ex 156 Ind para ,Arnhem asked me ......his words "are you going to Micky Mouse it "? . When strippiong the paint off we found mass's of Desert Camo , underneath all the paint and on hidden panels and under the regulator we found SCC2 brown , so I'm putting it back to its original "factory colour " and marking it up as British 3rd Div SLANR (my Dad's old outfit on D Day).

It came with the door tops and rear Canvas but the rear tarp looks to light so will probably replace that , I'll see when I get it back together as it might just be faded .I have a jack but i think its post war,I have just been offered a correct Wartime one , so I'll put the other one up for sale on Evil Bay, or someone might be able to use it off the forum .

Dave

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Dave... You can't beat keeping it simple and the brown will look great... I am still into minds about Mickey Mouse cammo... It's very nice looking but is very restrictive on what you can use the vehicle for once it's done...

3rd Div South Lancs? Nice! Was your dad in the assault wave? They landed wearing the special canvas assault jerkins...

I'm wondering what the original colour of mine would have been... I've got all the info on its original contract and its carrying its original Z number... But I've got no more info on it than that... Built in 1943 it came out of the army in 1961! So 18 years of service!

It went to Normandy this year done up in 43rd Wessex Div markings (4th SOMERSET LI) and is currently marked up for 3rd Div East Yorkshires... But it'll be changing its markings again this next year a couple of times!

The desert cammo you found is very interesting... It must've been overseas at some point... I'm surprised it ever made it back as most transport would've been taken up into Italy and Iraq / Persia...

. I've got all the info on its original contract and its carrying its original Z number...

Hi Pete,

I noticed your MW in a previous thread, and its census (Z) number, Z1642366. If this is your truck, you may not be aware, but all 7-figure numbers starting with 16 are in a category for rebuilt Z class trucks. This is where they have gone though a rebuild programme and given a new identity. If you have the contract number, that will help in giving you the batch of numbers it was originally in.

regards, Richard

Hello Pete

No luck as yet , I'm off to quite a big Auto jumble on Saturday so I'll have a good rummage around and you never know I might just be lucky...........even one would do to start with :D .What I'm going to do when out on the road is hang a trailer board over the tail gate and discretely hide the socket underneath. As far as the reflectors on the rear I don't think they had them War time but possibly post war ..............someone on the forum will know for sure :)

Dave

Useful piece of legislation on vehicle lighting/reflectors etc to tuck away and consult as required

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1989/1796/contents/made

Needed it to determine the lighting requirements for my trailer

sk

Hi Dave... You can't beat keeping it simple and the brown will look great... I am still into minds about Mickey Mouse cammo... It's very nice looking but is very restrictive on what you can use the vehicle for once it's done...

3rd Div South Lancs? Nice! Was your dad in the assault wave? They landed wearing the special canvas assault jerkins...

I'm wondering what the original colour of mine would have been... I've got all the info on its original contract and its carrying its original Z number... But I've got no more info on it than that... Built in 1943 it came out of the army in 1961! So 18 years of service!

It went to Normandy this year done up in 43rd Wessex Div markings (4th SOMERSET LI) and is currently marked up for 3rd Div East Yorkshires... But it'll be changing its markings again this next year a couple of times!

The desert cammo you found is very interesting... It must've been overseas at some point... I'm surprised it ever made it back as most transport would've been taken up into Italy and Iraq / Persia...

Hello Pete, good to see you here. Whats with the nick name? must be a story behind Tubby Bins

The Micky does look good , wasn't this introduced late 44 ? . Yes he landed with the 1st wave on Queen White along with the East Yorks on Queen Red .

I e mailed the RLC christmas 2013 and never heard anything back from them in relation to my truck ,so I'll give them another go next week ,I would like to find out if I can exactly where it was used etc . It possibly could have been Desert painted/modified but never actually made it out there , hope RLC can shed a bit of light on it .

Dave

The Micky does look good , wasn't this introduced late 44 ?

Dave

Mickey Mouse was in use as early as September 1942. See the picture of Canadian jeeps being assembled and camouflage painted at Olympia, Manachester.

It was a variation of the formal Foliage pattern

sk

Mickey Mouse was in use as early as September 1942. See the picture of Canadian jeeps being assembled and camouflage painted at Olympia, Manachester.

It was a variation of the formal Foliage pattern

sk

:thumbsup:Ah right thought the British introduced it late war ............mmm now where did I get that info from :rolleyes:

Hi Dave - quite often the RLC have nothing more than the Z number, year of manufacture and contract number with disposal date... My understanding is that it's quite rare to have more detailed information on where the vehicles went. I think these docents were actually disposed of...

just a point on the key cards held by the RLC the cards that they hold on wartime vehicles rely on the post war army number

that is the two numbers two letters two numbers what has been said is correct in part l have never seen the date of manufacture shown but that can be worked out on the chassis number as to the desert camo if your Bedford saw service after 1949 it may have served in north Africa in a place like Libya

Well the first couple of coats of paint are now on the chassis and axles .In the end after all the input and help from the good folk on the forum I decided to get the paint analysed/broken down by a local firm, who have been making paint since 1775:) .I paid an extra fee to have them break the paint down in their lab and try get an exact match to the original panel. They explained to me about pigmentation loss and other technical details due to its age . When I went to collect the paint they showed me a sample card they had prepared alongside the original panel , they wet the panel and the match was unbelievably very very close .The guy said they could keep blending but I was happy with what they had produced .The colour is matt in the pics it looks semi gloss , this is their version of SCC2 matched to the panel off the truck.Its supplied under the name of Transpeed (mixed with white spirit not thinners) which they supply to the bus companies, rail companies, airlines and coach builders .

10898341_854028561327401_3768738108415992529_n.jpg

10926210_854028421327415_1943696559361951272_n.jpg

Edited by Davey089

Hi Dave

looking good, can I ask, as the photos give the impression that the paint is more of a Khaki Green No3..........but I know how these colours look completely wrong on the PC. SCC2 is really a brown colour...........

The original un touched areas on my Morris PU are Khaki Green No3 as a factory finish, which looks very much like your chassis now. also is the mix satin ? or Silk ? I have had mine mixed to dead matt.

WP_20141112_012.jpg

Thanks for the updates, really enjoy reading and seeing the photos.

regards

Jules

Well the first couple of coats of paint are now on the chassis and axles .In the end after all the input and help from the good folk on the forum I decided to get the paint analysed/broken down by a local firm, who have been making paint since 1775:) .I paid an extra fee to have them break the paint down in their lab and try get an exact match to the original panel. They explained to me about pigmentation loss and other technical details due to its age . When I went to collect the paint they showed me a sample card they had prepared alongside the original panel , they wet the panel and the match was unbelievably very very close .The guy said they could keep blending but I was happy with what they had produced .The colour is matt in the pics it looks semi gloss , this is their version of SCC2 matched to the panel off the truck.Its supplied under the name of Transpeed (mixed with white spirit not thinners) which they supply to the bus companies, rail companies, airlines and coach builders .

Hi Dave

looking good, can I ask, as the photos give the impression that the paint is more of a Khaki Green No3..........but I know how these colours look completely wrong on the PC. SCC2 is really a brown colour...........

The original un touched areas on my Morris PU are Khaki Green No3 as a factory finish, which looks very much like your chassis now. also is the mix satin ? or Silk ? I have had mine mixed to dead matt.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]100212[/ATTACH]

Thanks for the updates, really enjoy reading and seeing the photos.

regards

Jules

Hi Julian

Thanks Julian . The photo is very very deceiving it is actually Brown . I must admit when I posted the photo I thought myself "ey up this looks Green " :D , but it is actually brown . They matched it to a panel we found that hadn't been re painted it is Flat matt , the photo was taken while the paint was still damp .

This photo was taken a little later but again not a brilliant example :rolleyes:, more coats to be applied .Unfortunately I can't get a photo in natural lighting .

Regards

Dave

10930870_854028157994108_8277502493231372461_n.jpg

I was suspicious of one of the fuel tanks when I bought the MW , it had a very thick or should say umpteen layers of rubber type underseal down one side.................Well suspicions were correct, looks like a patchwork quilt .It wouldn't have been so bad if they had cut and laid the pieces in flush and run a nice weld, flatted it back a bit of smooth paste wet and dry job done :rolleyes: , so bit of re-working of the fuel tank next job on the list .Think we'll cut it all out and start again :), not cleaned the back off yet .

Notice whoever did it has spotted the weld and not run it ?, so it'll probably now leak like a watering can .

IMG_0873.jpg

Edited by Davey089

• 2 weeks later...
Dave, that's very brave of you to tackle the starter and Generator ?

I have both mine to look at from the PU, I'd like to think I could overhaul them, never done either before, what should I be looking at to check ?

Jules

Overall condition of the commutator for pit/burn marks , usually a fine emery paper to polish it back up , continuity of the coils , brush's and the bronze bush's apart from that just general condition and a good clean .We replaced the bush's and brush's on the starter and the same goes for the Dynamo brush's and bearings, also the connections on the coils need insulating with some shrink sleeving and a good polish up of the internals.

IMG_0898.jpg

IMG_0900.jpg