what is this truck?...

RattlesnakeBob

Mooching as usual I came across this article on moving an entire house in the US.....

my question is ...

what is the ex army looking vehicle doing the towing in the one picture ? is it a Diamond T possibly ?

I haven't watched the full video yet but there maybe some more footage of it in there :)

http://www.messynessychic.com/2013/10/29/the-last-inn-on-the-sea/

just watched the video ..it's only short but it sure does look like a Diamond T to me ????

Edited by RattlesnakeBob

It's impossible to be certain, but it looks like the ten ton M123 tractor unit, normally made by Mack. Slightly lighter built than something like a Dragon Wagon but pretty much the same size.

If original it will have the huge LeRoi V8 engine which is something to behold and even better to listen to. Here is one towing a Dragon Wagon trailer, just for scale.

Edited by Gordon_M

Looks like a post war M series truck to me, might be a M54 or the bigger M123, it also looks like it has the air filter on the right side fender (wing) so not a later cummins engined 800 series truck

Edited by flywheel

Legend has it that the Cummins version is powerful, economical, and reliable.

The petrol-engined LeRoi version, on the other hand, was noisy, temperamental, and capable of tow-starting a small country :laugh:

You don't even have to watch, just listen, around the 1:30 mark should do it ...

Edited by Gordon_M

At the risk of upsetting later enthusiasts I wouldn't cross the street to see anything with M series in front of it ( sorry Simon ...) with the notable exception of the M123, which is why it jumped out at me on the original posting.