WW2 British 1 Ton 2wheel GS Trailer

Ian L

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's been a long and hard uphill struggle... more for Steve having to beat me every time I got something wrong or I was cheeky to him..

my leg still hurts!

For some unknown reason I quite enjoyed myself!

I think Steve enjoyed having someone to beat, he did warn me with lots of advance ...

I can see why you had to replace frame elements with new material when you see how thin the old was getting.

Impressive to see the younger generation working using hand to eye coordination skills and graft, so rare these days.

Kind of curious, why was TIG welding chosen as the process of choice, would not the original have been an early form of stick or arc welding?

Keep it going, kind of extravagant to allow them a day off for the new year!

R

I can see why you had to replace frame elements with new material when you see how thin the old was getting.

Impressive to see the younger generation working using hand to eye coordination skills and graft, so rare these days.

Kind of curious, why was TIG welding chosen as the process of choice, would not the original have been an early form of stick or arc welding?

Keep it going, kind of extravagant to allow them a day off for the new year!

R

Hi Robin

Didn't think about arc welding as tig is the future and it looks much neater but your right it would of been are welded originally.

Edited by Ian L

• 1 month later...
Hi Ian,

Looking forward to your riveting session as I have the same problem;)

Guy

Hi Guy I'm picking a pair of new snaps & rivets up from a well known local Traction engine restorer who has done a lot of riveting and shown me the best way to do this cold, I can post the snaps to you once finished & collect from Normandy if you want.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I am very curious as to how you plan to go with paint and prep work.

Where the sides end on the bottom you have turned them with a flange and they sit on top of the chassis. That to me is the natural point for rust to form between the two. It is why the bodies on the M series trucks rot away because they are a multi layer lamination.

I was wondering if you plan to use seam sealer between the two, it is after all a paintable material.

Not meant as any kind of criticism, just curious.

Robin

Hi Robin I thought this question might arise ? The 1st job next weekend will be to disassemble the 3 side panels and throughly clean the mating surfaces with fine grade flap wheels & rotary wire wheels before painting the mating surfaces with a zinc based spotweld primer or similar.

Then we can rivet the panels separately before having them shot blasted as the new metal has flaky scale on it from the manufacturering process (no idea what its called)

Then we can prime the panels before fitting them back onto the chassis before the final set of vertical rivets at the front which join the panels together.

Lastly your question about the bottom fold, we just intend to paint and 'waxoil' the mating face as the way I see it is that it took 70 years to rot left out in all weathers but I intend to keep it inside when not in use.

Sorry but I've missed this thread entirely until this morning ! What an absolutely fabulous 'first project' for a lad to learn on !...Really great to see it coming together and he'll have bags of confidence in himself and his abilities after doing this old trailer ! A really great thing to do ! thanks for sharing ! :-D

Riveting didn't go very well yesterday mainly due to the fact that we had no idea how to do it and the 'snap' left a nasty ridge & I've fractured my wrist.

So Steve moved onto an extra part of the restoration :idea: as the trailer was fitted with a generator and hooped canvas cover post war we decided it would be useful for sleeping in at shows if we made a copy, but this will be left off while towing and will be fitted with a flat GS cover most of the time.

001.JPG

005.JPG

006.JPG

001.JPG

002.JPG

Oh my goodness. A broken wrist. That has to be a monumental bone to break. How very sorry to hear that.

The scale on the steel is called "mill scale".

I'm glad to her your gong to use waxoyl or whatever it is called. I understand your logic.

That is a very handsome table you have to work on.

Robin

• 4 months later...

Axle is now refitted along with the tow hitch so that I can tow it to the shot blasters tomorrow & all the holes have been predrilled for the support legs.

Also managed to get a spare wheel rim which needed quite a bit of reshaping but its good now & going off to the blasters to.

DSC02302.JPG

DSC02303.JPG

DSC02304.JPG

DSC02305.JPG

DSC02306.JPG