Ex service Fergie?

Hair Bear

Question

Back in the early 80's we bought a TEF Ferguson. It was overall grey, but had a navy blue bonnet top and a yellow stripe around the bonnet edge. Needless to say this was very quickly scraped off and painted grey.

As I only started thinking about it now, is there any way of finding if it was ex service? The only reference I have is the civvy reg no.

Thanks.

14 answers to this question

Back in the early 80's we bought a TEF Ferguson. It was overall grey, but had a navy blue bonnet top and a yellow stripe around the bonnet edge. Needless to say this was very quickly scraped off and painted grey.

As I only started thinking about it now, is there any way of finding if it was ex service? The only reference I have is the civvy reg no.

Thanks.

Oddly enough, a chap I know has just bought a Ferguson TET which still has the Army data plate on it with is service number, letters were --BY--, Tractor, Land, Utility if I recollect. This is the industrial diesel model with a second braking system with separate hydraulic circuit.

HI l have given this abit of thought it was not uncommon for agricultural type tractors in military service to carry a civilian

type number if you look at lots 6045 and 6056/ 6069 as examples you will see this quite clearly so it is just possible yours

may have been in military service who knows

REGARDS WALLY

Off topic slightly but weren't the Standard Fordsons originally orange and because of that they become and great target for bombers whilst the tractors were at dockside?

Or I have completely lost the plot on that?!

Off topic slightly but weren't the Standard Fordsons originally orange and because of that they become and great target for bombers whilst the tractors were at dockside?

Or I have completely lost the plot on that?!

Correct, they were then painted green

The early wartime tractors had wide mudguards the late ones had narrow wings to save metal

There is a Fergie restored into Army colours photos to follow

Edited by Brooky

Thanks everyone for all the replies, unfortunately we parted company with this particular Fergie around the mid 1980's but I don't remember a separate data plate, plenty of holes though (according to the DVLA, it is currently taxed so it's still alive somewhere!).

Going with the 'off topic', in 'Allo'Allo they held a veteran vehicle parade - including a nice Fordson/Roadless halftrack! Should have been new enough to still have the dealer stickers.

Hello all

I have just acquired a Massey Ferguson FE 35 that was ex military - not sure which branch. It left the factory in yellow as it was an industrial, was painted green by the army and has been restored back to yellow.

It it has the brass plate and it would be interesting to know its history.

image.jpg

Thanks

stuart

image.jpg