another 10 CWT trailer

Maurice

:shocked::shocked::shocked: A rare beast! A very rare beast. It would have carried a HRO reciver with a cross areil. Inside should be a sterring wheel attached to the bottom of the antenna and a brass 360 deg. ring. I know Phil Webb has illustrations of the fittings, he was intending to build a replica one.

It could be the 'Trailer 10cwt. 2 wh. for D.F. set' To quote from the Data Book of Wheeled Vehicles " DF trailers have always been fitted with the standard 2 21/32" draweye as the trailer is normally towed by a 3 ton lorry. The body is fitted with a rear door, windows and seats for two operators together with DF equipment". Certainly I have never seen photos of this particular trailer. Where has it appeared from as it is probably a unique specimen?

trailer plate says : 10cwt MKII trailer

Cont.no. 294/23/S.2912

W.J.R. Ltd. Ser.no. 4143

rebuilt plate states that it was rebuilt 6/53 and had post war registration 70 ym 21

Hi Maurice,

The maker of the trailer was W.J Reynolds, I think they were from East London area and a Ford dealership. The contract was for 200, X4671351 - 4671532 Trailer Direction Finding (Body 1 unfitted) (prior to fitment of Wireless) and Trailer D.F. Type "A" B.C.2 (after fitment of wireless)

cheers Richard

That must be pretty much a unique survivor. Presumably it was towed by a radio or office bodied MW or Guy Ant.

Wish my frame was as good as that!

Has anybody ever categorically determined what the three tabs hanging down from the second cross - girder are for? The centre one had been chopped off on mine to allow for a standard plate with axle flood switch and junction box so they clearly served no useful purpose whilst in service

I know what you mean Tony, though the way you phrased that raised a chuckle ....

Is it just me, or are those wheels small ? It looks small to tow behind a 3 tonner

It was ***** early in the morning! :D There are a lot of tales about D/F units working at if not beyond the front line. Apparently German weapons were prized as the sound didn't give away you were British. On May 8th 1945 Peace was celebrated, on May 9th 1945, they started D/F and interception of Soviet stations. Any unit markings? 30 Corp would be my bet.

Edited by Tony B

According to the Ministry of Supply publication, Data Book of Wheeled Vehicles, the draught eye on this trailer has an ID of 2 21/32" so that it can be towed by a 3 tonner. I have my doubts about it being towed by a 4x4 though as a QL has a tow hook height of 2' 9 1/2", where as an OY is 2' 3 1/2". The height of the trailer eye is 2' 1 3/4". All this from the data book, it also states that if the lorry were laden the tow hook height would be 3" less than given, this would still make the trailer tow too high at the front if behind a 4x4 (QL).

Another vehicle known to have been used by Y Service is the dear old Humber Heavy. Could that have handled the trailer? Trouble is a lot of the information concerning Interceptor and D/F were, and still are higly classified. The men who used the equipment developed the techniques still used today. They also used WC54, mainly with the Special Liasion Units that took the information from Bletchley and rebroadcast, in cipher of course, to Allied Headquarters.

Just been speacking to Phil, who's computer is down. The trailers were towed by 15 cwt trucks, the Humber's were units in there own right. There were normally four DF units together based at intervals of around two miles. 109 and 110 Special Wirless units operated DF from the Shoe Factory in Nimegen (Apologies to my Dutch mates for spelling) So can one of you confirm the site? They were also the unit that contacted the Germans asking for a truce to collect wounded.