Diesel CVRT Spartans, Scimitar & Samson Arrive at Witham SV

PDonovan

Diesel cvrts that's more like it ! What do withams have planned for em direct sales or auction ? Are they going to be sold off at astronomicaly high prices or realistic ones, And are we going to see anymore with these perkins or cummins lumps in ? Any info anyone ? If they are in good nick and reasonably priced im up for one been waiting ages for a diesel cvrt :-)

Passed my H test in Terry Brown's diesel Samson.

Great bit of kit, have to admit my preference is for a cummins powered CVRT, but looks like waiting could be the best policy with regards to price...

I know about many of the upgrades, but at £35k it's a big step up from the Jag petrol.

anyone know the difference between the diesel and the petrol cvrt...petrol cheaper so fuel consumption wont be far different price wise, the 6bta engine isnt massively torquey or powerful so I asume it is not as fast as the petrol one, or am i wrong....anyone know the answers...

There are something like 1000 bits required to convert a petrol one to a diesel one. Apart from the engine, which has a special sump, flywheel, mounts etc, the gearbox is fitted with a different input module. This has a larger clutch but adjusts the input gearing to give the same speeds as the faster revving petrol engine. I am told that David Brown charge something like £58000 to convert a petrol gearbox to a diesel gearbox. The fan and alternator are fitted with different pulleys, the bulkhead is split and the gearbox heat exchanger is moved to a different location.

Diesel vehicles are supposed to be easier to drive as the greater torque means you don't need to change gears as often climbing hills etc. I believe they accelerate pretty quick too. It won't be long before I get to put one through its paces so I'll be able to confirm this soon!

You can see some of the differences on my diesel Scimitar rebuild blog:

http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?37527-CVR(T)-Scimitar-07-FD-04

Chris

Edited by sirhc

Chris,

Sounds like interesting news there.

I guess we are fortunate having a Stormer and a number of the petrol engine CVR(T)s in the collection. The difference between diesel power and petrol is huge, it is what they really need.

Good luck with your project

R

anyone know the difference between the diesel and the petrol cvrt...petrol cheaper so fuel consumption wont be far different price wise, the 6bta engine isnt massively torquey or powerful so I asume it is not as fast as the petrol one, or am i wrong....anyone know the answers...

Paul

I haven't driven a diesel but everyone I know who has raves about them....I suspect the difference is greater than the bare figures on a page suggests. Personally I love my J60's (but then I would say that wouldnt I!)...

I have always had a hankering to do a souped up J60 version, just for a giggle. If you have ever seen Jon P's prototype Scorpion he built the engine to the prototype spec ie 220ish bhp, and it flies, but then the hull is non armoured as well so that helps I guess. He always seems to have a whale of a time driving it that is for sure...

Tim

Chris,

Sounds like interesting news there.

I guess we are fortunate having a Stormer and a number of the petrol engine CVR(T)s in the collection. The difference between diesel power and petrol is huge, it is what they really need.

Good luck with your project

R

hi Robin, hear what your saying ...what is huge, I have never really found the petrol engine wanting. I can imagine that the hills mean fewer gear changes but with the better rev range the petrol engine more than likely needs fewer changes over rough terrain, a bit of swings and roundabouts really...just wondering if it really is that much different or is it more a case that everything is deisel in the army these days and therefore logisitcs easier...rather than performance or driveability...

was the reason to change mostly to do with logisitics, easier to fix engine more reliable and std fuel...sounds more likely to me, than it drives better up hills with less gearchanges....

Paul,

After a number of years operating the J60 engined vehicles which run wide open screamming at you the diesel just has a lot of low down torque and grunt with instant throttle response without all the revs needed. Even when you do give it revs it all sounds so much more controlled unlike the J60 which sounds like it wants to grenade.

What Chris referenced was the change in input RPM for the gearbox which is where it all gets handled.

For anyone who works around machinery there is a sound of a diesel engine working confidently that one just gets used to and to the ear sounds appropriate. For first timers around a J60 they can not believe those revs are standard to make it move.

That I what I attribute the diesel to, it just sounds right.

R

I suspect that MOD's decision to upgrade was more about obsolescence, reliability and fire hazard than anything else.

Andy

I think you're right Andy - I also seem to remember experiments with a diesel motorbike as these were the only things not on the same fuel. Were there not a couple of nasty incidents on peacekeeping operations in Bosnia which drove the fire hazard point home as well?

Cheers

Tim

Paul,

After a number of years operating the J60 engined vehicles which run wide open screamming at you the diesel just has a lot of low down torque and grunt with instant throttle response without all the revs needed. Even when you do give it revs it all sounds so much more controlled unlike the J60 which sounds like it wants to grenade.....

R

So glad you said that Robin, I thought it was my driving!!! :D

I was at Witham SV yesterday picking up my won auction lots, big van load of cvrt parts :-)

Had a chat with PS about pricing of diesel cummins cvrts.

2 have already been sold to collectors.

The Spartan is 20k + VAT

The Scimitar is 30K + VAT (but this is non runner, starter motor just makes a click noise)

yes it sort of answers my question really, the diesels are less strained, likely more reliable, easier maintained and on diesel not petrol....easier for logistics....I still think I am right in saying that in reality there isnt much performance change...what I am saying is that they got the CVRT mostly right all those years ago...

The cummins engine is a good engine of that there is no doubt...anyone know what power output it is...

Modern CVRT's must be a dream to own...and 20k doesn't sound at all bad,...

Edited by paulob1

The cummins engine is a good engine of that there is no doubt...anyone know what power output it is...

The standard engine is 195bhp, there is a 235bhp variant fitted to the vehicles with additional armour etc.

yes it sort of answers my question really, the diesels are less strained, likely more reliable, easier maitiained and on diesel not petrol....easier for logisitics....I still think I am right in saying that in reality there isnt much performance change...what I am saying is that they got the CVRT mostly right all those years ago...

Modrn CVRT's must be a dream to own...and 20k doesnt sound at all bad,...

I like the sound of a petrol Jag J60 the best, cummins sounds like the post office lorry has just been down the road.

J60 is like a rr merline engine, just sounds so cool. :-)