New boards/topics..

Jack

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 months later...

Back near the beginning of this thread was an Idea on war movies . I just purchased a very cheap dvd just a few dollars "Objective Burma" its a very early ww2 film <1941> with Errol Flynn but my interest in posting were the two 1941 short movies included in the dvd. One "Tail Gunner" with Ronald Reagan, Burgess Meredith has some great shots of 1 1/4 ton Chevy's being used as mobile platforms for twin cal. fifties to teach gunnery . the other short is "the Tanks are Coming" with George Tobias which was filmed at Fort Knox , showing some very early Stuart tanks and something that was perhaps only a training tank like a Stuart but a three sided drivers postion of more interest to some here are a few very brief glimpses of pre- ww2 Halftracks and the prewar CCKW with the civilian cab that only show up in the final seconds as a column of HMV comes driving up a shallow stream .

Back near the beginning of this thread was an Idea on war movies . I just purchased a very cheap dvd just a few dollars "Objective Burma" its a very early ww2 film <1941> with Errol Flynn but my interest in posting were the two 1941 short movies included in the dvd. One "Tail Gunner" with Ronald Reagan, Burgess Meredith has some great shots of 1 1/4 ton Chevy's being used as mobile platforms for twin cal. fifties to teach gunnery . the other short is "the Tanks are Coming" with George Tobias which was filmed at Fort Knox , showing some very early Stuart tanks and something that was perhaps only a training tank like a Stuart but a three sided drivers postion of more interest to some here are a few very brief glimpses of pre- ww2 Halftracks and the prewar CCKW with the civilian cab that only show up in the final seconds as a column of HMV comes driving up a shallow stream .

These short film are always interesting and welcome additions to a library. There are some odd British films such as Words For Battle, using classic poetry to evoke valour in early war Britain, it finishes with Covenanter tanks rumbling round Parliament Square in London. They were about as much use as a chocolate fireguard. Objective Burma is not a universally popular film in the UK to this day and did no good for Errol Flynn's reputation here because it smacked of American gung ho success in a war closely associated with British forces. It's perhaps all too long ago to worry about now - but my dad would never have the film on when it was on TV ..but he was not the most pro-American of people at the best of times. Ronald Reagan also turns up in the Hasty Heart with Richard Todd - a little gem.

I agree it was an over the top film for American consumption or propaganda in current terms . While I wasn't saying anything about the movie it self, It was the vehicles ,very rarely seen most of which were hopelessly obsolete when the war began for the U.S. But since they are HMV's I thought others would like a chance to see them . as for the actors perhaps a thread could be started about the hollywood hero's vs the Real war hero's

like John Wayne Hollywood Hero vs "Scottie" Duhan real ww2 vet. wounded D-day. as so on both American and British Actors could be listed

I have to say my favourite Pacific War film is John Huston's They Were Expendable about PT boats with John Wayne and Donna Reed and various others popping up. This to me is one of the great American war films of the period showing the US at it's best. Tough and stoic in adversity. There's a great bit when the news of Pearl Harbor comes over when Wayne and co are in an officer's club. The Filiipina singer and a little dance band immediately sings the Star Spangled Banner. Priceless - it a genuine God Bless America moment. Shot in black and white it is a long film ending with the loss of the Philippines and even has Wayne and his crew taking Douglas McArthur and his family to safety. It is bloody fantastic. It gets shown on rainy afternoons at weekends on the BBC. I keep meaning to find a copy on DVD.

• 1 month later...

Not sure if this would be on the right topic, but Im having a long afternoon!

You have HMVF TV, what about streaming radio station, HMVHF! I dont know how it works, but theres plenty of streaming radio stations on the net.

You could have its content as not just maybe hourly music shows- George Formby, the washboard years, but interviews, show walkabouts when they start again, historical articles, people talking through vehicle repairs etc etc.

The more I think about it, the more I like it...

Jack........Jaaaaaack........ :goodidea:

As long as it doesn't involve a sanity check. Ididn't think that applied to visitors?

Applies to anyone who work with children... I have enhanced CRB clearance :-D

Who needs to apply for a Disclosure check?

Anyone who is working with children or vulnerable adults whether in a paid or unpaid capacity will need to have either a Standard or Enhanced Disclosure check. In addition, if an individual is likely to come into contact with vulnerable people either through the course of their work or for a specific purpose, then it is likely that your organisation will need to ensure a disclosure check is carried out. This includes Trustees of Children's Charities and individuals who sit on the management committees of projects that work with children.

We are a Voluntary organisation our volunteers are not employed, do we need to carry out Disclosure Checks?

In the same way as non-voluntary organisations, voluntary organisations whether large or small, carry the same responsibility for using safe selection procedures. Whilst this may put some people off, the safety and well-being of children and vulnerable adults must come first. Hence, in all organisations which place people in a position of trust over children or vulnerable adults these checks must be carried out.

Trying to get back to whatever passes for normal on this forum :shake: :shake: One thing that might be useful is a register of all members vehicle details, then if lost or stolen the numbers could be broadcast straight away. I like the phot idea but wouldn't it take a hell of a lot of space? How about an HMVF on line regonition guide?

• 2 weeks later...

Having just read all the posts on 'A sad ending. WWI memorial' I would like to propose a board for any one trying to trace history of persons / units :dunno:

I have been trying to research a certain person through his service time in WWII and would have liked to pick the brains of HMVF first.

What does any one else think :?