Auster £4000 o.n.o.

ruxy

Yep, he needs it to be a airtaxi for us Dutch guys so we'll attend more UK shows. :coffee:

Funny enough - Joris is flying over here next week for a meeting with me but don't think he will be flying one of those!

I have seen it at Elvington,York - did not know the owner had engine(s). Must have been fun - flying deck-chair at tree top level with the Germans taking pot-shots LoL

Can't be many around in the U.K. Static or Flying ?

There are quite a lot of Auster aircraft about. There's a club for them. I think at least two are based at Breighton, Selby, as I've flown in one, and photographed the other from it! I do believe our very own Adrian Barrel has one under rebuild too.

breighton9.jpg

breighton10.jpg

Edited by Jessie The Jeep

More than you might imagine. Many are in civilian colours but there are a few restored to original. Since Austers can now move from CAA C of A to LAA permit, they have seen a bit of a resurgence. Still not worth a great deal though.

I have seen it at Elvington,York - did not know the owner had engine(s). Must have been fun - flying deck-chair at tree top level with the Germans taking pot-shots LoL

One story, with illustrations, the pilot of an Auster describes flying bettween the trees of a Belgium road whilst shells from both sides were flying overhead. :-D The design was originally American by a company called Taylorcraft. Airfix made a model with wheels and Skis!

Well to start we had in Holland two Austers PH-OTO from KLM aerocarto and later from me I sold the plane to PeterboroughAeroclub .And there my memory stops .The other one was from a chap in Veen and he use to fly it with religious purpose by dumping lots of leaflets about god .Chistus comes we called him .He bought that one from the Dutch police .Later Daams from loosdrecht had one or two one is sold to Jan Eshuis in Aalsmeer .Its sitting inside and complete rebuild .Jan is about 80 and will not sell it .This Auster on the pictures looked kind of hybrid to me but anyway an auster had one problem flaphandle overhead and very bad at slow speed :):cool2: When asking sometimes to pals if they liked a ride they always answered We do not even trust it with our old shoes !!I am over 80 now and my favorite artilleryspotter plane was not auster but Lycoming pipercup . Was much more reliable .And nice to see my old pipercup flying in Holland now and then in military livery .It looks a million dollars

Apart from being a tight squeeze with two six feet tall people in ( especially when knees and feet get in the way of the controls in a strong crosswind landing ), there was nothing wrong with it. Can't say the one I flew in had any slow speed issues, and I've seen it operated in a wide variety of conditions.