BSA 'War Time Finish' Cycle's.

Ian L

Does anyone know about BSA 'War Time Finish' cycles ? I have acquired several, some with wooden pedals & 'war grade' tyres. I would like to date them and find out why they were made as 'war finish' P.S. something is blocking me from posting photos :mad:

Edited by Ian L

The original colour I've got back to is a very dull matt green, that's on the Folding Bike, black undercoat. Mine has lost a lot of paint (Deliberatly) so a lot of original manufactuer is visble on the frame. The brazing is so neat it would be a shame to cover it up.

The original colour I've got back to is a very dull matt green, that's on the Folding Bike, black undercoat. Mine has lost a lot of paint (Deliberatly) so a lot of original manufactuer is visble on the frame. The brazing is so neat it would be a shame to cover it up.

Hi Tony I don't mean BSA Para Bikes but the black civilian BSA bikes that have 'war time finish' decals on the frame, wooden pedals & the wargrade tyres, did BSA make these bikes because rubber was in short supply and being used for the war effort ?

Edited by Ian L

BSA_Wartime_Finish_01.jpg

BSA_Wartime_Finish_37.jpg

And this one!!

BSA_Wartime_Finish_20.jpg

That's the type Rick, whats the story about these bikes & how would I date them ? I have several different mens & ladies. some with rod & some cable brakes but all 'war time finish'

Hey!! Any details on the box? That would go nicley with Mk V Roadster. That one does not have BSA on the Sprocket though. Incedentaly, I do have a 26 inch War Grade tyre and tube. I use my bikes and there was only one so I replaced it with new. Could be avilable to a good home.

MkV1.jpg

Not that I am having a quiet day ...

t127667.jpg

Cant help much at the moment with frame numbers, still working on that, but I can tell you T136102 is of 1944 date. Are the bikes Mark V versions?

Where did you find that dating info Rick ?

Does anyone know about BSA 'War Time Finish' cycles ? I have acquired several, some with wooden pedals & 'war grade' tyres. I would like to date them and find out why they were made as 'war finish' P.S. something is blocking me from posting photos :mad:

Not a lot is documented about wartime bicycles, but as I understand it "war time finish" means it's an austere version, saving valuable materials like chrome and rubber for the war effort, replacing them with other materials for non-critical applications.

Under the drive given by the estemed members of this Forum, I've just been over the MK V bike. Just under the saddle left side is stamped the letters ABU. On the right side ,same area the number 103041. But most intrestingly, on the back horizontal bar of the parcel rack is FA 881 Mk IV 1943.

Out of intrest, I've just had the back wheel off to sort out the coaster brake. I have one rough running ball race! (I don't know! Only lasting 70 odd years!) Inside the rim is a beautiful multi colour cotton ring to protoect the tube from the spokes. It must have been there for many years. When removed and I cleaned the rim, the original clour came up. It is the same dull matt green as the original finish on my folding bike. Black undercoat. As the bike is dated 1943, it should be the same colour at least for that year. Next thing is to try and get a sample mathced. NO! Not for sale, the next mission is as an advertising hoarding outside friend's Cafe to try and attract the local cycilists on a Sunday morning. :-D