Chieftain MBT £41,000

ruxy

It looks like the new owner may have a bit more "character" on the Chieftain that when it left Withams yard.

According to this report :- http://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-northwest-news/index.ssf/2013/12/it_takes_more_than_an_owners_m.html

If you look at the video of the one at Withams it had the same markings of the mud flaps.

Sad to see someone have trouble with a new vehicle

R

I think he got away really light from the cops for pulling the same stunt twice on the road and causing that damage.

R

Interesting that he doesn't seem to be being done for driving without the correct licence/insurance etc. And I love the term "criminal mischief" - sounds like an oxymoron to me!

Andy

I am sure the state of Oregon were likely very thankful for the fact that they managed to get it running again and get it gone.

For any civvy cop outfit the thought of having to get that moved would be a nightmare of publicity they would not want.

I am sure the fact that buddy was an employee of the owner was more than enough for them to assure that he was not getting a Christmas bonus this year and would receive plenty of long term punishment.

I think by adding these posts to this existing thread has not drawn much attention versus starting a new thread.

R

I was talking to someone in the yard after this had sold, they seemed to think it was completely knackered and nothing more than an 60 tonne paperweight...

I didn't pay that much attention at the time, wonder now if maybe it was true..

Still, sold as seen and all that..

James

all chieftains need a lot of work, even a brand new one needed a lot of work, they were forever unreliable and forever in repair...the leyland engine, great design that it was, was rushed into service and was never really truly reliable...add to that 60's technology and ambitions and you have a recipe for disater...41,000 is a lot of money but chieftains are about on going costs not purchase costs...the worst you can do with one I understand is leave it for 20 years without running it...or if you do leave it non running...

Our main tank driver at Duxford said that the best way to stop a Chieftain when he was driving them of Her Majesty was to use the gears, the brakes never lasted long. I've certainly heard that from other drivers as well.

They are quite 'interesting' to work on (saying that a damn sight easier than a Centurion in a lot of respects).

Oh by the way, if you ever need to replace the aux hydraulic pump on the GUE (the one that powers the cooling fan), it's from a David Brown tractor and available for £80.