Shipping a LR lightweight

WCMatt

Hello List!

Well, it looks like I'm going to be the new owner of a Land Rover Lightweight (Air transportable). It's coming up from Florida via uship. My question (the first of hundreds I'm sure) is does anyone know what the shipping diamensions (Length, width & height) of a lightweight w/hardtop installed?

Thanks.

Matt

I am aware MJC corrected a few thingies in his latest re-print.

To save me time - could you please give me the page number ?

----

The dimensions - I have given , I added a extra inch for 7.50's (just in case not on std. 6.50 x 16) , + another 1" for the early hard-top with external ribbing to roof.

The dims. are more or less in my head - and will fall into line with what is stated in the User Manual (that only gives dims for sticks & hood Utility.

regards

There is a error on Page 176

Top half of page states the width (correct) at 60" / 1.52m

However down below on the dimension sketch - it states DD (but does not have arrowed line for DD)

Overall width 1.52m / 80"

I will mention this to Mark , I don't have the latest revised edition - possibly it was corrected ??

As you know - the Lightweight body was reduced to 60" , as were the original Lightweight axles. From abt. 1979 "rationalized" axles were fitted with the civilian style grease cups , that project abt. 1.1/2" - giving a additional 3" overall width on this later model, so the query should to be safe list the width at least 5'-4" to be safe (this should also cover for any door mounted mirrors that are folded flat to the glass).

--------

Both places - stated - Overall height with hood 67" , I know this is correct as you have just 1" clearnance with a 6'-6" height Up-N-Over door ,, BUT not if the drive has a incline LoL

--------

Overall length is 144" at both places - correct.

regards

Edited by ruxy
spelin

HI

In answer to your points

what was the original question it was what are the shipping diamensions not what are the general diamensions which is what you are working from i said that went for the mod document after looking at all three and as barts and mark

cooks only refer to the general diamension and did not even agree on that you have pointed out that lenght 12 ft

i said the same height 6 ft 6 I said 6ft 8 a differance of 2 inch lastly width i said 6 ft 6 you say 5ft I respecfully suggest

that the shipping diamensions are for a different purpose and requirement

regards wally

I was aware of the query regarding "Shipping dimensions" , that is for the Forum Member to discuss with his agent regarding containerization (that I think the query relates to - obviously , although not stated such) , I doubt if it is going to be crated & that would be a different matter but still based around the physical dimensions - that can be stated with accuracy.

The User Handbook etc. gives all dimensions accurate , with bumper & rear bumperetted fitted or removed, over hood or flat packed over tub / bulkhead with screen / vent panel removed . All info. for stripped air-freight or MSP etc. but of little use to a civvy in 2013..

btw , containerization , shipping dimensions rather than the physical dims. are only important on such as a car (some cars). That is - if you wish to apply the hand-brake without having to first remove the rear screen.

Hey guys, thanks for (all) of the replies! The LW is being shipped via truck from Florida(USA) to Virginia(USA). Should be here in a week or two.

I've never owned a Land Rover before and the purchase of this one was actually a computer "whoopsie". I placed a bid on one on ebay and then won .... So much for being outbid! Anyway, instread of backing out, I descided to go ahead with the deal. I like LandRovers & am really partial to the D110s but I've never actually owned one. Hopfully this will be a good experience & eventually lead to a D110 in my (near) future... Wish me luck!

Regards,

Matt

Hey guys, thanks for (all) of the replies! The LW is being shipped via truck from Florida(USA) to Virginia(USA). Should be here in a week or two.

I've never owned a Land Rover before and the purchase of this one was actually a computer "whoopsie". I placed a bid on one on ebay and then won .... So much for being outbid! Anyway, instread of backing out, I descided to go ahead with the deal. I like LandRovers & am really partial to the D110s but I've never actually owned one. Hopfully this will be a good experience & eventually lead to a D110 in my (near) future... Wish me luck!

Regards,

Matt

I did that - with 10 tons of derilict truck in the back of a Bloomingburg quarry in an auction that I won by a single cent.....Still it turned out great so have fun with the Landy.

There are some good landrover sites - be sure to have a look a them!

I did that - with 10 tons of derilict truck in the back of a Bloomingburg quarry in an auction that I won by a single cent.....Still it turned out great so have fun with the Landy.

There are some good landrover sites - be sure to have a look a them!

So like me, you were watching the auction wind down thinking to yourself C'mon somebody place another bid..... I don't think I paid too much for it. The lwt is complete & running w/hardtop all for 5k.

Two questions that come to mind as I sit here are: 1) does the LWT use any off the shelf componentry or is everything unique to that vehicle? And 2) can anyone recommend a site that caters to the lightweights?

Regards,

Matt

... does the LWT use any off the shelf componentry or is everything unique to that vehicle? ......

Matt, most of the mechanical parts are the same as on a standard civilian spec Series 2 and 3 vehicles but the bodywork is unique to the lightweight. When you get it, post a few pictures and we'll tell you more than you could ever want to know!

I did that - with 10 tons of derelict truck in the back of a Bloomingburg quarry in an auction that I won by a single cent.....Still it turned out great

What is the current Mack status Paul? Been too busy on all the other stuff ?

The Lightweight arrived last Wednesday and I must appologize as I haven't taken/posted and pics of it yet. To be fair, I am a bit of a computer caveman..... It is a 1974 DoD and it's registration number (stamped into the data plate) is 22FM62 . Now the quest for spares begins!

Matt

• 3 weeks later...