CCKW - Cowl Ventilator Seal

Vulture

Gentlemen

Now I'm on the verge of sorting my Windscreen seal out, time to move onto the next issue/challenge. The seal in my Cowl Ventilator on my CCKW has degraded to such an extent I cannot make out what is was or how it fastened in place. Can anyone provide any guidance/pictures and any suggestions on who can supply a suitable replacement ?

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Kind regards to all

Vulture

Gentlemen

Now I'm on the verge of sorting my Windscreen seal out, time to move onto the next issue/challenge. The seal in my Cowl Ventilator on my CCKW has degraded to such an extent I cannot make out what is was or how it fastened in place. Can anyone provide any guidance/pictures and any suggestions on who can supply a suitable replacement ?

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Kind regards to all

Vulture

Vulture,

as far as I know the open cab seal is the same as the closed cab seal, which in turn is the same as the civvy cab; for my Chevy I bought a repro seal from Jim Carter truck parts in the states, not expensive.

http://www.oldchevytrucks.com/cart/product.asp?prodid=CB108&i=|cowl|||42|

Hope this helps

Vulture,

as far as I know the open cab seal is the same as the closed cab seal, which in turn is the same as the civvy cab; for my Chevy I bought a repro seal from Jim Carter truck parts in the states, not expensive.

Hope this helps

Thanks for that ,its one part I could not find when i did mine.:-)

Gary

Vulture,

Hope this helps

G506

Superb !! Thanks for that :D

Gentlemen

I'm sending a E-Mail message to Jim Carter tonight, to a:

a) Check how many seals he has in stock.

b) Get an estimate of the postage cost for 5 and then 10 seals.

c) Check out what the difference (if anything) is in the fitting between the rubber seal and the foam one.

Happy to put in a 'bulk order' :) NOS and 25 pounder I've got you pencilled in for 2 each. If anyone else is interested put a posting here. I know a few people with GMCs not on the forum, so I'm going to contact them over the next couple of days to see if their interested.

When I have all the costing details I'll post my findings on here, and then PM those concerned and firm things up.

Kind regards to all

Vulture

Edited by Vulture

The goods news is that I've heard back today from a gentleman called John at Old Chevy Trucks. The bad news is they are currently out of stock of the rubber seal, although some are expected in. I am going back to ask when. They have the cheaper foam seal in stock. Myself I'm not interested that type though.

This is all very interesting as my truck lives outside all the time uncovered and has never had a seal in the cowl vent what purpose does it serve also never had any issues with rain getting in usually gets in other places when driving !!!!

This is all very interesting as my truck lives outside all the time uncovered and has never had a seal in the cowl vent what purpose does it serve also never had any issues with rain getting in usually gets in other places when driving !!!!

Ah go on and put your name down - you know you want one really :banana:

Chaps

Still haven't heard back as to when new stock is due in... Will update next when I have more info.

Richard, as for the reason for the seal when there is a drain, poses a good question :). In heavy rain mine leaks from somewhere in that area. Thus far other things have attracted my attention, but its something I'm intent to get the bottom of, other than for no reason that the water drops right onto the laces on the foot that's on the accelerator :nut: so I end up with a shoe full of water ! LOL

Kind regards to all

Vulture

So have I but chances to get the latest rubber GMC fashion accessories don't come along all that often you know.

Hmmmm always wondered about you..... what you get up to with rubber accessories is your business I have heard that the war time paint fumes can do funny things to people...