fitting tyres to split rims..

minidaffy

hi,

I'm in the process of fitting some tyres to my k9, I did one today but what a ball ache!!! does any1 have any tips/ hints to make life easier?

is there anything i should pay particular attention to??

my method was....

let air out,

break bead of tyre/rim with 2" pieces of angle iron and a sledge hammer, working my way round.

knock outer ring of split rim downwards,

prise out seating ring and outer rim,

flip wheel and support centre off the ground, leaving tyre free to drop..thrash some more with angle iron and hammer till tyres plops off...

I then de rusted rim and bits and put a coat of paint on them,

the trickiest bit was breaking the bead..that took at least an hour to do both sides!

reassembly was relatively straight forward, but after hearing stories of widow maker wheels I just wander if i was at any real danger?

Doesn't sound like a split rim to me either, if you don't exactly know what your doing, it would probably be best to take them to a tyre fitter, extreme danger lurks within those things...:nono:

Not so much in the taking off as in the pumping up!

As pointed out K9s have a three piece wheel not a bolted together split rim. Only thing i can add is make or beg steal or borrow a bead breaker still can be hard work but better than braying angle iron in. And make sure its seated correctly before and during inflation. Or let someone else have the hardwork depending how you value your own time

http://www.jhmbuttco.com/acatalog/Shop_Manual_Bead_Breakers_1137.html

Edited by cosrec

As pointed out K9s have a three piece wheel not a bolted together split rim. Only thing i can add is make or beg steal or borrow a bead breaker still can be hard work but better than braying angle iron in. And make sure its seated correctly before and during inflation. Or let someone else have the hardwork depending how you value your own time
...and your life! Those spring rims can be lethal if not properly seated when you inflate the tyre - people have been cut in half:mad:

Get a proper tyre fitter to do it, using a safety frame in case it lets go.

This is not just 'Elf'n'Safety gone mad - this is a real danger:cry:

John

...and your life! Those spring rims can be lethal if not properly seated when you inflate the tyre - people have been cut in half:mad:

Get a proper tyre fitter to do it, using a safety frame in case it lets go.

This is not just 'Elf'n'Safety gone mad - this is a real danger:cry:

John

i agree whole heartedly. When i was 7 in the early 60s i was smuggled in to Beverly westwood hospital under under my Mothers long winter coat to see my Father who was in traction head inclined down wards with wieghts attached to his legs. He worked for a company called Triangle Motor Company North cave and had been blowing up a 1000X20 brand new rim with second hand tire on it using the approved method at that time of standing the rim against a wall wrong way round blowing it up with the airline on from the back and standing to one side. the rim let go and it blow him across a petrol forcourt and through a show room window and on to the bonnet of a humber hawk. It was six weeks before mum found out if he would walk never mind work again. Luckily he recovered but had back problems that kept reoccuring though he always blamed his deafness in later years to been head down for nine weeks

Edited by cosrec

hi,

cheers for the replies,

sorry yes they are spring rims...I did ask the local hgv tyre firm but they refused!! something about he'd rather get shot at....

I guessed the danger was in the reseating of the ring, as the tyres are quite wide it held itself together allowing me to inflate it from 30ft away...felt a bit safer!

I'm very much a have a go kinda guy...I'll report back when I have done some more!! if I'm still here.

If you have to assemble these yourself, the technique I use is to bolt two wheels securley together face-to-face prior to inflating them. That way, in theory at least, the parts cannot go very far if a spring ring lets go. A heavy blanket or tarpaulin over the top can do no harm in addition. Make absolutely sure that the parts are clean, rust-free, correctly assembled and located properly before inflating, and stand as far away as practicable when inflating. Do not allow bystanders, pets, animals etc anywhere nearby. Approach and check very carefully after inflating. Consider inflating to pressure to seat everything, then deflating before approaching to make sure everything is seated, then reinflate.

It is one of those activities when the likelihood of an incident is actually relatively small but the likely consequences of an incident are very significant - severe injury or death. Don't take chances.

When we deployed to Bruggen we used to have to change a few tyres ourselves using the tyre bay.

However our Earthmover / Bucket loader tyres were too big for the normal gear stocked so it was improvise time.

To break the bead we drove a Bulldozer over the tyre. Then held it up on forks and beat hell out of it with sledge hammers to get it to drop out.

Reassembly fairly straightforward just make sure you use some Swarfega that always helps to lubricate things.

Reinflation stand to the side and park something in front of the tyre.

There was a reminder why in the roof of the tyre bay from a smaller RAF vehicle which blew the ring into the roof.

Later on we abandoned our own earthmover tyre changes and got a contractor in instead. Especially when you had to change 4 tyres on a Michigan 275.