GMC 353 roadtrip - advice and opinions please

Desert Rat

I took my M35 on several 3+ hours trips (farthest one was 600 miles, 9+ hours) and it was not bad. But I did have 'modern' features like a springer seat, thick cushions, working windows and doors.

During the spring/summer an open cab would be great. Fall Winter not so much (there is a reason each open cab came with a top and doors).

I would think a G506 1.5ton Chevy would be the most ideal MV for road trips. I would put an open cab CCKW 3rd or 4th (behind a closed cab CCKW :D )

If you can eek out 1MPG more, that's 40 more miles per tank.... after 3-4 tanks it adds up 120-160 extra miles for the same load of fuel... 3+ more hours of driving.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Dodge towing it was photoshopped out to save your embarresment! :-D

Good riposte sir ! :box: LOL :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Or...... is that that there is a Dodge on the back as well, but we just can't see it because it has been squash flat by the great weight of the loco ? :rolleyes: :dancinggirls:

I don't remember who it was who asked about the WC62's horse power per ton ratio but here it is: empty WC62 weighs in at 6900lbs with a 92HP engine. That gives us a ratio of roughly 26.5 HP per ton. With a fully loaded cargo bed, the 'ol Dodge tips the scales at almost 10,000 lbs. reducing the HP per ton to roughly 18.5 per ton. Interestingly, the WC62 has a better HP to weight ratio then the newer M35 2.5 ton.

Matt

HP per ton is a fairly useless metric. The old trucks are geared so low for torque and 4 wheel drive that they could probably use less HP than what was in them and still perform plus they had fairly large diameter tires... that would require torque, not HP to rotate.

Even the Red Ball express had a speed limit of 35MPH, and most cross country driving would be less than that... 20MPH at best. Plus most motors were governed to prevent over speed and 3000RPM was redline for most.