GMC 353 roadtrip - advice and opinions please

Desert Rat

good luck on your trip it it was me

doing your trip I would go for a Dodge 6X6

Commander

A great truck & my very first MV :cool2: . However, I think they are about as long as a CCKW so there's that parking space issue again.... Their long whellbase does make for a smoother ride not quite as bouncy as the shorter wheel based WC51 and yes, the 1.5 ton Dodges are underpowered. I guess vehicle size would also depend on how many friends are you planing on bringing along?

Matt

Edited by WCMatt

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd like to add another *must have* item

If your truck is still 6V (like all proper CCKWs should be :) ) you'll need a 6V to 12V dc-dc converter to power gadgets like phones, GPS and recharge LED torches.

They are small and very easy to wire up.

Or a 5V solar charger with the proper hookups.

If your truck is still 6V (like all proper CCKWs should be :) ) you'll need a 6V to 12V dc-dc converter to power gadgets like phones, GPS and recharge LED torches.

Deadline, I love your purity of the CCKW, I just dont think they would have had an facility for cellphones or GPS.....:laugh:

:laugh::laugh:

:laugh::laugh:

Deadline

I'm with you. To get the full GMC experience a 6v painfully slow turn-over on start-up is a must have ! LOL :D

I wouldn't change mine :)

I have looked here in the UK, and thus far have been unable to find a commercially available 6v to 12v converter that I can buy off the shelf. Do you know of any in the US ?

Kind regards

Vulture

A great truck & my very first MV :cool2: . However, I think they are about as long as a CCKW so there's that parking space issue again.... Their long whellbase does make for a smoother ride not quite as bouncy as the shorter wheel based WC51 and yes, the 1.5 ton Dodges are underpowered. I guess vehicle size would also depend on how many friends are you planing on bringing along?

Matt

Matt

Is the bhp per ton worse than the GMC then ? A GMC is approx 5 tons and the (net) bhp is 91.5 which gives I reckon about 18 bhp per ton. Slightest hill, I'm slowing downnnnnn :)

Vulture

Matt

Is the bhp per ton worse than the GMC then ? A GMC is approx 5 tons and the (net) bhp is 91.5 which gives I reckon about 18 bhp per ton. Slightest hill, I'm slowing downnnnnn :)

Vulture

Vulture

I'm trying to find that out for you. The engine in the WC62 was a Dodge T223 230 CI flathead developing roughly 92 HP at 3200 RPM. The truck itself weighed in at 7250lbs gross.

Matt

Our 6X6 used to average about the 12 to 14 to the gallon mark averaging about the 40 to 45 mph and

also have loads of space it was easier to drive than the GMC and a lot easier to manouvere around

as well but I am biased in favour of Dodges also a Dodge will run on contaminated fuel i.e. diesel/petrol

which have been drained out of cars that have been miss fueled upto a 15% mix at max which makes

very cheap motoring a GMC does not run well on contam at all Ohh and I like your style with the Hotels

Commander

Hello,

If I were you, and assuming you're not an out and out 'purist', I'd take the practical choice and procure a 353 with a diesel fitted. I can hear the gnashing of teeth and the sanctimonious condemnations even as I type this message, but I used to run a 353 with a P6 fitted which gave perfectly adequate performance AND economy. My present one has a P6354 fitted,

which is nicer altogether. Just a thought. Hope all goes well anyroad and that it all comes off. Cheers.

Hello,

If I were you, and assuming you're not an out and out 'purist', I'd take the practical choice and procure a 353 with a diesel fitted. I can hear the gnashing of teeth and the sanctimonious condemnations even as I type this message, but I used to run a 353 with a P6 fitted which gave perfectly adequate performance AND economy. My present one has a P6354 fitted,

which is nicer altogether. Just a thought. Hope all goes well anyroad and that it all comes off. Cheers.

Did not know that was possible (well, I'd not heard of it until I read your post).

Commander

I too am also partial to Dodges. The first MV that I ever completed a frame off resto on was a '44 WC51. How I miss her.....

Matt

Diesel fuel is much more common in Europe than the US.

It would be great if there was a multifuel diesel (like the M35A2) that could burn just about anything. I'd do it just to be able to drive more. A GMC 270 weighs about 500lbs, I don't think a diesel of the proper HP is going to be anywhere near that light. A Cummins BT4 (same power) is 800lbs, and not multifuel, and you need air for brakes.

For the cost of conversion you could simply buy an M35A2....

If you really wanted to get the 'purists' going put a CCKW cab on an M35A2 frame... that should kill us instantly :D

Diesel fuel is much more common in Europe than the US.

It would be great if there was a multifuel diesel (like the M35A2) that could burn just about anything. I'd do it just to be able to drive more. A GMC 270 weighs about 500lbs, I don't think a diesel of the proper HP is going to be anywhere near that light. A Cummins BT4 (same power) is 800lbs, and not multifuel, and you need air for brakes.

For the cost of conversion you could simply buy an M35A2....

If you really wanted to get the 'purists' going put a CCKW cab on an M35A2 frame... that should kill us instantly :D

Yes I understand the popularity of diesel over petrol "overthere" & you're right about diesel powerplants weighing a ton compared to their gas engine counterparts. Don't think a CCKW cab will fit on an M35 frame as it is too wide. If you wanted to average better fuel milage how about one of those 6X4 2.5 tons? What where they called? CCWs? Funny, the WC61 is starting to sound better......

Matt

The cost of buying a diesel engine and having it fitted to a GMC would just be uneconomic

unless you intended doing a massive amount of driving to recoup your investment I know

diesel is cheaper to buy but you are only saving less than 10 pence a litre

Commander

Not to go to far off topic (but it is driving related) I've said before that a 270 can be improved upon for daily driving with a few simple mods:

Increase compression up to 8 or 8.5

Pull an intermediate axle shaft and get hubs without drive splines for the front

Port/polish the heads (even a basic cleanup would help)

More HP can improve MPG by getting you out of lower gears quicker.

I know the Chevy 235 can be fitted with a vacuum advance... the main benefit is better fuel mileage... Not sure if the later 270's can use them, but earlier CCKWs did (or maybe they were ACKWs... not sure off the top of my head).

An HEI unit would also help... but almost none are 6V.

Our 6X6 used to average about the 12 to 14 to the gallon mark averaging about the 40 to 45 mph and

also have loads of space it was easier to drive than the GMC and a lot easier to manouvere around

as well but I am biased in favour of Dodges also a Dodge will run on contaminated fuel i.e. diesel/petrol

which have been drained out of cars that have been miss fueled upto a 15% mix at max which makes

very cheap motoring a GMC does not run well on contam at all Ohh and I like your style with the Hotels

Commander

One old guy said to me 'Son, if you've had a heavy night you can *** in the tank and it will run on it!':D

In answer to the availability of a multi fuel engine, virtually any 'old school' diesel unit will be very accomodating in respect to useable fuel. Heavy they may be, but you don't notice it even on the steering, and my Perkins 6354 is powerful, extremely reliable and will run quite happily on anything from derv to chip fat. No fancy fly by wire electronic sensors here, just plain old DPA pump with delivery valve. Also. you don't need air for the brakes, just an exhauster to operate the hydrovac.

I cant quite understand the concerns over fuel economy, if a group of you are sharing the running costs. If only five people are involved, the GMC will return a minimum of 8 mpg x 5 equals 40mpg, thats better than a lot of family cars and it sounds right (The GMC engine sounds very sweet) With a little careful planning and preventive maintenance the whole thing should be a real hoot. Most guys would give an arm and a leg to do it. Have fun, and do tell us all about it on your return.

I cant quite understand the concerns over fuel economy, if a group of you are sharing the running costs. If only five people are involved, the GMC will return a minimum of 8 mpg x 5 equals 40mpg, thats better than a lot of family cars and it sounds right (The GMC engine sounds very sweet) With a little careful planning and preventive maintenance the whole thing should be a real hoot. Most guys would give an arm and a leg to do it. Have fun, and do tell us all about it on your return.

Ray, personally I have no concerns about either cost or fuel economy.

I did however ask about fuel economy as I was trying to work out if there was much in either vehicle therefore would there be a vast difference in how much spare fuel you had to carry in the absence if a filling station but to be fair, there sounds little in it.

As I said, I've had a bit of experience with 353's but nothing with Dodge WC's.

That said, they do sound appealing....

Onr thing to bear in mind. No MV was built for comfort. Though I'd rather drive the Dodge long distance than a Series 3 Landy. .

Ah! Now my curiosity is piqued!

Longest I ever drove my WC51 was roughly 100 miles & that was in the winter. Wasn't bad (if properly dressed), just kind of noisy. Longest I've ever driven any MV was around 140 miles round trip. That was in an M151A2 in warmer weather. I do like a G838 :cool2: .

Matt