GMC 353 roadtrip - advice and opinions please

Desert Rat

Gents, I have a bit of an idea for a trip but would appreciate the thoughts, opinions and advice of the rest of you. Having just returned from a wonderful tour of Normandy (managed to do all the beaches plus para-drop zones and the Maisy Battery which has just been opened for anyone who hasn't been - go see it !) Now, myself and four others got talking as you do and we are considering the following: Buy a GMC 353 and then drive from the UK across to the Ardennes, look around for a few days and then drive back. Now, we will stay in hotels as I do enjoy at least some comforts these days. The truck will obviously have to be a decent one as reliability is a must. So, is it too much to expect from an old 353 these days ? (I have owned a couple before but literally owned them, drove them to a couple of shows and then did a deal on a DT-981) What would be the things to consider before even getting into this ? Seriously, I would like to hear your thoughts. Thank you.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Buying a decent one I dont think will a problem these days but running it, well thats a different story with the cost of fuel as it is. Remember also petrol is dearer in France than here (just).

Of course split 5 ways it make it much less painful :cheesy:

Im sure there are far more people on here can to point you in the right direction....but good luck and enjoy it. Thats just the sort of thing more of us should be doing tbh sitting in fields slapping each other on the back because you have used the correct nut and bolts leaves me cold. Three or four vehicles trunderling along the open roads and lanes is MUCH more fun.

Buying a decent one I dont think will a problem these days but running it, well thats a different story with the cost of fuel as it is. Remember also petrol is dearer in France than here (just).

Of course split 5 ways it make it much less painful :cheesy:

Im sure there are far more people on here can to point you in the right direction....but good luck and enjoy it. Thats just the sort of thing more of us should be doing tbh sitting in fields slapping each other on the back because you have used the correct nut and bolts leaves me cold. Three or four vehicles trunderling along the open roads and lanes is MUCH more fun.

As I was on the ferry coming home I thought about the chat that our group had had and to be honest I thought "Why the bloody hell would I want to do the trip in an old WW2 vehicle ?" and then I thought "Because I can and it's just one of those things that doesn't need a reason"

Gents, I have a bit of an idea for a trip but would appreciate the thoughts, opinions and advice of the rest of you. Having just returned from a wonderful tour of Normandy (managed to do all the beaches plus para-drop zones and the Maisy Battery which has just been opened for anyone who hasn't been - go see it !) Now, myself and four others got talking as you do and we are considering the following: Buy a GMC 353 and then drive from the UK across to the Ardennes, look around for a few days and then drive back. Now, we will stay in hotels as I do enjoy at least some comforts these days. The truck will obviously have to be a decent one as reliability is a must. So, is it too much to expect from an old 353 these days ? (I have owned a couple before but literally owned them, drove them to a couple of shows and then did a deal on a DT-981) What would be the things to consider before even getting into this ? Seriously, I would like to hear your thoughts. Thank you.

Desert Rat

Sounds a brilliant idea ! :) No reason why a GMC shouldn't do the round trip okay. Buy one, give it a really really good service, change the water pump (unless its been in recent years), take some spare parts and a good box of tools with you, make sure you have recovery in place (just in case), and you should be fine :)

Kind regards

Vulture

I've had a fair few MV's and still own several (Scammell Pioneer, Ford GPW, Bedford MJ's, TM's etc) but think a GMC would be a nice truck for a good distance trip. I have also been considering a Dodge weapons carrier but wouldn't have thought there would be much advantage ?

Take spares! I have no idea what the local auto parts places are like in Europe, but I would take spare (2 or 3):

Lights/bulbs

fan belt

Radiator cap AND GASKET!!

Radiator hoses (at least two of each total of 6 - if you still use the metal pipe)

At least 10-20 liters of water (either in jerry cans or whatever)

A liter or two of oil to top off.

Tools

Torches - ha! you thought I was going to say flashlight!

If you have a tire product like 'Slime' I'd put that in all 11 tires. Getting a tube may not be easy. You could travel with a patch kit... but I'd seriously question the ability of anyone to break down a split rim on the side of a road without proper tools.

If you can, get a some gel cushions to sit on... those springs will get old in a few hours. Blankets (open or closed cabs... they are not insulated).

Creature comforts (ear plugs, gloves, goggles)

I envy the though of retracing the actual paths that CCKWs traveled during the war.

Driving my jeep for a day (a few dozen miles, tops) is exhausting. I get in my Dodge and my legs are still in 'manual steering/brake/clutch' mode and will mash all the controls for the first 5 minutes till I remember that everything is powered.

Edited by deadline

I've had a fair few MV's and still own several (Scammell Pioneer, Ford GPW, Bedford MJ's, TM's etc) but think a GMC would be a nice truck for a good distance trip. I have also been considering a Dodge weapons carrier but wouldn't have thought there would be much advantage ?

Having owned 2 weapons carries and a LWB GMC I would say take the weapons carrier, it may be cheaper on the ferry and will turn in a better mpg on the mileage you are likely to clock up. It will also be faster and less tiring to drive over a long distance. Having said that you can't beat a GMC wound up to speed on a long straight French road......happy days :)

Pete

Edited by Pete Ashby

Having owned 2 weapons carries and a LWB GMC I would say take the weapons carrier, it may be cheaper on the ferry and will defiantly turn in a better mpg on the mileage you are likely to clock up. It will also be faster and less tiring to drive over a long distance. Having said that you can't beat a GMC wound up to speed on a long straight French road......happy days :)

Pete

Hi Pete,

This whole daft idea is still in its early stages so nothing is in stone. I just want to hear what tips, advice, good or bad people have. A weapons carrier might make more sense, I'm not sure yet but I have to start somewhere and thought a 353 would be a good vehicle for such a trip.

I've done the whole Ardennes trip back in 2004 but now my colleagues have a taste for visiting these sites so we thought the next one should be a bit of a 'once in a life-time' kind of thing.

I think that I would definitely plumb for the Dodge Weapons Carrier, Like all vehicles they need to be in good mechanical condition and well maintained, spares and recovery are always a sensible thing to do. I own a GMC 353 rag top, I have driven several Weapons Carriers and always found them to be bullet proof..... Given that there is a group of you, what the hell......... I wish that I was going. Good luck and have fun.

Whatever we decide to get, I will take a full spares kit, toolkit, extra spare fuel, water and oil and service kit as well as obviously giving it a full once over in the workshop before we left...

Just out of interest, when looking at recovery for a 353 or Weapon carrier, who should we contact to get the right cover to get dragged in from abroad if needed ?

go for it, i drove my Ford GTB to Houffalize in the Ardennes for the BMVT winter rally, it was an 800 mile round trip. It was a great trip even though it was extremely cold (-19C). We took the scenic route on the way there from Le Havre, took 11 hours of driving to get there! on the way back we used motorways and it only took 7 hours :D, Averaged 10 MPG! lots of very long steep hills to climb, down to 2nd gear a few times on main roads!

My advice would be to put some really good lights on your truck, including some decent flashing lights (i used flashing LED warning lights on the rear). My GTB is 12 volts with an alternator so i have a split charging system set up as a back up power source and for running sat nav, charging phones etc. As for spares i carried a head gasket, water pump, complete distributor,spark plugs, fuel pump repair kit, some spare HT lead and some wire. Also grease, gear oil, engine oil, brake fluid and antifreeze. Thankfully i did not need any spares.

It is certainly a challenge taking truck on long road runs, particularly on your own, going with a group of vehicles is a far better idea but not always possible of course. I had a few contacts in the Belgium MVT who i got in touch with before we left and they offered to help if we any assistance enroute which was vey nice of them. We were hoping to win the "furthest travelled" prize at the rally but we soundly beaten by a guy from Austria in a Chevy 1.5t and another guy from North Denmark in a Dodge.

Most importantly enjoy the challenge.

Take spares! I have no idea what the local auto parts places are like in Europe,

For GMC's spares supply should be quite good actually, take along the adresses of French / Belgian suppliers plus a few local HMV clubs; I'm sure they are happy to help out if you would run into trouble.

Sounds like a :goodidea:.

If you're going to stay in hotels/B&B's, go for a Dodge, otherwise turn the back of a GMC into living quarters and do it much like the GI's did it.

Wow! Sounds like it would be a lot of fun! I've driven a couple of GMCs but have owned/restored a few WCs. My vote would probably be for either the GMC or a Chevy G506 1.5 ton. The WC51 (for example) is a great truck but the seats ar not that comfortable for long drives and while larger then a jeep, there isn't a whole lot of room to carry spares, kit & passengers (comfortably & safely). With either the Jimmy or the Chevy you could do all of that. In fact, the Chevy 1.5 ton might be the best of both worlds. Larger then the WC but not as garganchuan as the GMC. As others have said, keep the board posted as this sounds like a great adventure!

Matt

The main advantage of a Dodge! It is easier to park! :D One of the best experiences I've had was driving the Dodge through Belgium after midnight, along a dark quiet country road. So yes it is a good idea! :D

Proper Planning Prevents P** Poor Performance. Europe has a good layout of camp sites. Good maps, give more detail than a sat nav, make sure you have all the 'oddity's such as Hi Vis and spare bulbs and breatheliser etc. that each country needs. One pice of advice, stay off the main Euroroutes, at your speed the normal roads are safer and more authentic. The LED rear lamps are a good idea, the brighter the better!

I am off to Normandy on the 29th of May in my Dodge Command Car and dropping down

into Brittany first from Cherborg via Mont St Michel then looping around and coming up to

the beaches for the 6th June not as far as you are contemplating I suppose but we have

over 200 miles to drive in the U.K. to just to a ferry port good luck on your trip it it was me

doing your trip I would go for a Dodge 6X6

Commander

I am off to Normandy on the 29th of May in my Dodge Command Car and dropping down

into Brittany first from Cherborg via Mont St Michel then looping around and coming up to

the beaches for the 6th June not as far as you are contemplating I suppose but we have

over 200 miles to drive in the U.K. to just to a ferry port good luck on your trip it it was me

doing your trip I would go for a Dodge 6X6

Commander

A Dodge 6x6 ? I can see your reasoning but were they not under-powered for the size ? (I truly do not know as I have only read a couple of bits about the 6x6) Obviously a 6x6 has more room so would be better in that respect.

The other thing I should mention is that I have no intention of trying to live and survive like a G.I.

The US troops and the Brits, Canadians etc had a tough time of it and all I am looking to do is go to some of the places they went.

I know some think it 'all part of the fun' but all we are doing is going on the trip to pay our respects to them, not to try and replicate the hell a lot of them went through.

With that in mind, as I said, we will stay in hotels and accommodation in the evenings and we will also be putting in some better seating/cushions in what ever vehicle we choose but wont be cutting the vehicles about, just making sure people are comfortable(ish...) and safe (as mentioned, better lighting etc)

Now, as far as MPG goes for a GMC 353, WC 4x4 and a WC 6x6, what would would average at a sensible speed ?

More curious than important really.

A Dodge 6x6 ? I can see your reasoning but were they not under-powered for the size ? (I truly do not know as I have only read a couple of bits about the 6x6) Obviously a 6x6 has more room so would be better in that respect.

The other thing I should mention is that I have no intention of trying to live and survive like a G.I.

The US troops and the Brits, Canadians etc had a tough time of it and all I am looking to do is go to some of the places they went.

I know some think it 'all part of the fun' but all we are doing is going on the trip to pay our respects to them, not to try and replicate the hell a lot of them went through.

With that in mind, as I said, we will stay in hotels and accommodation in the evenings and we will also be putting in some better seating/cushions in what ever vehicle we choose but wont be cutting the vehicles about, just making sure people are comfortable(ish...) and safe (as mentioned, better lighting etc)

Now, as far as MPG goes for a GMC 353, WC 4x4 and a WC 6x6, what would would average at a sensible speed ?

about 8mpg at no more than 40 !

Desert Rat, I get between 8 - 10 mpg out of my 352 and find a comfortable cruising speed to be 35 – 37mph. If you go for a GMC would suggest the 353 Open cab version. I would then take the canvas back off the cab, and omit the front curtain off the cargo, and then either make a canvas screen up yourself, or ask Allied to make one that fastens to the from the back of the cab to the cargo canvas (there is a pic on my photo blog of someone who has done just that). That way you can have one or two people in the back lounging in comfortable chairs (if they have any sense) but able to see out the front and chat to the people in the front. That said, in my experience conversation in a GMC at 35mph+ tends to be more of a shout above all the noises the vehicle makes ! LOL

I have a '41 G506 Chevrolet 1.5t cargo and it does around 15mpg sometimes a little more it's better if the rear tilt canvas is left off. I would have no worries about doing the trip you are considering as long as the truck is WELL maintained and you carry plenty of spares as you would in any old vehicle doing those sort of mileages. Main thing is preparation and planning, I drove my Ford GPW from UK to the Somme and then on to Normandy and took as many spares as possible, I needed none but better safe than sorry. Breakdown cover is a must as it could get very expensive should the worst happen. In my mind the Chevy is a good bet as its smaller, easier to park, cheaper for the ferry and drives very nicely without the noise of an open cab. That said these trucks were made squaddie proof so are tough and dependable so the ultimate choice is yours. You're welcome to come and have a drive in my truck if you want to compare it with other types to see which suits you best. I am taking it on the MVT 70th Normandy event next year so they really are capable of doing the job as long as you respect their age and limitations ( speed, mpg etc ). Good luck :D

We have both, Gmc 353 and Wc51. I can get 8/ish from the gmc my hoppo only gets 5 when he drives,insists its the size 18 feet......lol. The dodge gives me 12/13,both at a steady 35 ish. TBH nethier are going to be Ubba comfortable in the back we had full size canvas pad (seats and backs) made by Allied forces these help......a little :laugh:. Be careful if you try to do too many mods regards seating the Insurance police might not be happy.

Understand what you say about accomadation and a good idea. It always makes me smile when people say " we live like they lived" yeah right. just without the blood guts and sh*t

Good luck