Barn find Willys MB

Glad to see that he kept the bicycle headlamp brackets either side of the bonnet ( look closer at the photos) we had this jeep on the MVT stand at the classic car restoration show at Shepton Mallet a couple of years ago and it created a lot of interest.

Hi Pete , Paul is leaving it as found condition doing only essential work for the MOT, brakes,tyres steering, lights etc, I will go into that in more detail over the next few days.

Hi John, yes the bike lamp brackets are still on there, Paul even has some lamps now.

I would put a tenner on this Jeep getting more attention if it were put next to a very rare 101st AB Jeep at any show or even an M201 which was on Omaha on 6-6-44.

Jim.

Edited by Jim Clark

OMG! What a wonderful find. It's amazing what still can be found so many years after the end of WW2.

"I would put a tenner on this Jeep getting more attention if it were put next to a very rare 101st AB Jeep at any show or even an M201 which was on Omaha on 6-6-44."

The problem with all these "Aaaiijjbboouuunnee" 101/82 Jeeps (some state that there are more 101/82 marked Jeeps now than there ever was during the war....) standing row after row, is that you loose interest after looking at the first two. Then you start looking for anything that stands out of the "Airborne mass". My late model Dodge WC51 was kept in its original condition, as it came out of the Nato auction in Norway, where I bought it in 1994, and I exhibited at a car show, as is, and a journalist saw it and asked me if his magazine could make an article about it. It resulted in an article, 4 full pages.....

The reason he picked my Dodge before the 101/506 Airborne Jeeps (In perfect, as new, condition) was that mine looked authentic, which the Airborne Jeeps didn't......Go figure.

Please have these pictures coming.

Goran N

Hi Pete , Paul is leaving it as found condition doing only essential work for the MOT, brakes,tyres steering, lights etc, I will go into that in more detail over the next few days.

Hi John, yes the bike lamp brackets are still on there, Paul even has some lamps now.

I would put a tenner on this Jeep getting more attention if it were put next to a very rare 101st AB Jeep at any show or even an M201 which was on Omaha on 6-6-44.

Jim.

So a "Rat Look" jeep. nice.

http://www.ratlook.net/history-of-the-rat-look.html

This Jeep was first registered in November 1946 when it was bought from Ashchurch ( General Depot 25) by David Thompson.He converted it to a station wagon with wood and canvas top and sides.

He used to keep the jeep at his friends house in Brockworth, Gloucestershire. Sometime in the 50s David sold the Jeep to his friend William Davis who used it as general transport.

Paul has been in contact with William Davis daughter and she can remember learning to drive this jeep around their farm. On one occasion whilst driving the jeep with her sister, she remembers driving down over a hill on the farm and because she could not quite reach the brake pedal it careered down the grassy slope scaring them both. They never told their parents about the incident.

The jeep was also used to tow their caravan to Cornwall for family holidays

When William Davis died in 1984 the jeep was sold to Walter Whitting of Painswick he just parked it up in a barn. After Walter passed on it stayed in the Whitting family but moved to another farm owned by the family and this is where it was sold at auction in 2010. The jeep attracted a lot of interest but Paul was the highest bidder and is now the proud owner. So this Jeep has always lived in Gloucestershire

Jim.

Thanks for posting the information Jim, such a rare find these days and equally rare to be able to have the vehicles complete post war history.

couple of questions, the light paint on the dash is that light stone do you think or was it added post service ? and do you know the frame number?

Pete

Pete, the light colour paint is post war.

Fortunatly the original matching number chassis and glovebox plates are still in place and from what we can see the body has never been off the chassis. The engine number is different but is an earlier MB engine.

Jim.

dodge winter kit 020.jpg

dodge winter kit 022.jpg

Here are some photos of a Willys MB my nephew Paul bought a while ago at a farm sale near us. We had it running and driving around the yard the next day for the first time in maybe 20years

Jim.

I am sure it will look the part after restoration you just dont need any.............negative vibes. I love that film.

I am sure it will look the part after restoration you just dont need any.............negative vibes. I love that film.

Hi 125LAA , we are not doing anymore to this Jeep, its staying in its "as found" condition. If it were to be restored to factory fresh condition it would be just another restored Jeep.

It has probably got more interesting history post war than its short wartime use.

Your right about the film though, I liked it so much I bought the tank.

Jim.

Pete, the light colour paint is post war.

Fortunatly the original matching number chassis and glovebox plates are still in place and from what we can see the body has never been off the chassis. The engine number is different but is an earlier MB engine.

Jim.

Thanks for the reply Jim,

The reason I was interested in the light colour was that a GPW I'm currently doing has a similar colour on top of post war deep bronze green which is on top of a bright orange ( this is the second jeep I've come across that has been pained the same shade of orange) below this is a darker sand then red oxide base coat. This was a British operated jeep and appears to have been completely paint stripped before the application of a new oxide base coat and then the dark sand there is no evidence of factory OD except under the dash.

I must say I fully applaud the decision to keep the jeep as it is a real piece of motoring history.

regards

Pete

I would hazard a guess most were gone by late 1957 and then a hand full in 1958. Currently I haven't got data on any being released after that however there may have been a few lucking in TA motor pools. The one I'm currently working on was sold off 13th November 1957 this was part of huge 5 day sale at Ruddington for all manner of wheeled vehicles a large number of which jeeps

Pete