Jeep starter motor

MartinN

Where is the best Place to have my jeep starter motor rebuilt 6v. I live in Kent.

Hi Martin,

Paul Bruschan at Pattenden Lane, Marden is the man, he has wide experience of old military electrics, inc jeeps. Paul does all my starters and dynamos.

Mobile number is 07973 722132

regards, Richard

However, I do have a question... I have had the starter motor tested, new brushes and a general overhaul, I have bench tested it myself and it spins perfectly, bendix pops in and out great! Everything fine. New leads, battery, I have voltage tested the starter when its refitted, all fine, battery voltage fine...But then when it turns engine over a few times it sticks? if I tap the starter it generally free's itself then turns over again? It seems that after a few cranks if the engine doesn't start then the starter sticks and I just get clicks or a jammed sound where I can see the fly wheel trying to turn? Any idea's anyone?

Have you checked/lubricated the bush in the bell housing, is it in servicable condition? What sort of condition is the ring gear in?

Ken

Hi, no I haven't checked that at all? But if that was at fault would tapping the starter free it? The ring gear does show signs of wear but I'm not sure how much wear is acceptable? My next plan was to replace this.

Hi, no I haven't checked that at all? But if that was at fault would tapping the starter free it? The ring gear does show signs of wear but I'm not sure how much wear is acceptable? My next plan was to replace this.

Yes.

I would check everything else before pulling the flywheel to change the ring gear....... As Pete says.......

Ken

Just checked my specs book, for the war time jeep standard model 1941 to 1945 the rear bush should be 0.6380"

Nose bush (flywheel bell housing) 0.4968". The motor shaft should have 0.001" clearance on the bushes.

What happens when the bushes ware is the torque on the motor builds as the piston comes up to TDC the motor shaft will try to twist into the line of rotation this in turn makes the dog bite deeper into the ring gear and effectively stalls the motor.

There may be other issues but the bushes are the easiest thing to check first as you can measure them without too much effort.

Pete

Just checked my specs book, for the war time jeep standard model 1941 to 1945 the rear bush should be 0.6380"

Nose bush (flywheel bell housing) 0.4968". The motor shaft should have 0.001" clearance on the bushes.

What happens when the bushes ware is the torque on the motor builds as the piston comes up to TDC the motor shaft will try to twist into the line of rotation this in turn makes the dog bite deeper into the ring gear and effectively stalls the motor.

There may be other issues but the bushes are the easiest thing to check first as you can measure them without too much effort.

Pete

OK thanks guys, excellent advice! Just need to read up where the bushes are and what needs to come off to replace them, bearing in mind the engine is still in place!