FV432 50th anniv.

RecyMech

Dunno if this has occurred to anyone yet or been mentioned before....but;-

While doing a spot of reading up on FV432....the first batch were delivered under the (then) name Trojan in 1963:cool2:

Which means the basic design is 50 years old this year !!!!! Brings a lump to the throat & makes ya feel proud to be British.. Aye'Wot ?

Should we bake a collective cake ?

Wonder who's got the oldest one in preservation ??

H

OK, fair enough.......I missed Beltring & the cake obviously

According to Pat Ware, page 160, B Series Engine in National Service, Trojan was delivered in 1963. :readbook:

So if thats correct then 1963 would have been been it 'in service' date.

Clearly though its already been covered :blush: , no sweat it was just a passing thought.

H

I don't know in Aussie we look for any excuse to have a pint. If last year was a pint for 50th year since it was first built, I cannot see why this year is the 50th year in service :beer:

We could think bigger and find month by month important dates to celebrate :-D:cool2::-D

Random thoughts......

Except for maybe a few battleships I was trying to think of another piece of kit that has done 50 years service with UK forces whilst still retaining its basic design.

I could`nt think of a single item of uniform, personal kit, weapon system, aircraft, or other vehicle that can lay claim

• Land Rover possibly, but then again it has gone through so many changes its a bit of a different animal now
  • I suppose the Cent is a contender maybe...but then not all its service was with the British
  • Harrier must come a close second ?

H

Ferret.....interesting , who has thoughts on its retirement from service date then ?

Again, just quoting a Pat Ware book here..."first production contract 1951"......"withdrawn from service 1997"......making 46 years British Army service (not counting foreign operators)...someone may state differently though.

Just counting British service mind, so that rules the Cent out, close but no cigar. (then again there might just be the odd tug or ARV working in some establishment somewhere ?)

Actually I suppose British mess tins must have remained unchanged since Ceasar was a recruit ? That one probably takes the all time prize ?

H

Random thoughts......

Except for maybe a few battleships I was trying to think of another piece of kit that has done 50 years service with UK forces whilst still retaining its basic design.

I could`nt think of a single item of uniform, personal kit, weapon system, aircraft, or other vehicle that can lay claim

• Land Rover possibly, but then again it has gone through so many changes its a bit of a different animal now

• I suppose the Cent is a contender maybe...but then not all its service was with the British

• Harrier must come a close second ?

H

The 7.62mm NATO round is a hot contender, methinks.

Andy

7.62 NATO round......good one, yeah......reckon we can count that

As for the Marines DUKWs......well blow me down, you live & learn:bow:

Blimey, even if you only took D Day as a start point, that makes the design (if not the individual vehicles) in service for 70 years next year !!!!!!!!!

Incredible:wow:

H

I guess if the Centurion AVREs at Withams latest tender sale count as being "in service" until last month then anything else will pretty much have to be pre-1945 and still going to beat them as the longest lasting armour ? I suppose the Kings Troop RHA guns (18 pounder?) must be the longest lasting wheeled vehicle of any kind ?

Iain

Wonder if the Marines have always had the DUKWs right through since D Day though or was there a gap ?, where they either had no vehicles of that kind, or maybe tried Stalwart & then went back to DUKW.

Either way, still impressive that a design that old can hold its own today.

I thought of another long lasting design too........the good old .50 cal !! Thats fired a few rounds in its time eh?

H

Random thoughts......

H

English Electric/BAe Canberra comes to mind, first flight 1949, left service 2006.

Another thought for something that lasted - the Vickers Maxim machine gun - I see the Wikipedia article gives first regular army purchase in 1888 and I believe they were still around until the late 1960s so around 80 years in the front line ?

The Vickers one is a good'un too. Not sure about the weapon being the same one as introduced in 1888 though.

Vickers Medium Machine gun.... Wiki gives it as "1912 to 1968".......still a very good 56 years though.

Canberra...57 years not bad !

H