Overlord.

Jack

No sweat. If anyone is interested in the saga of high-handed let-downs and shabby, double standard, mis-leading treatment, then see me at Overlord or send a PM for a document supported shocker (mainly theirs) of the other and real side.

I'm not entering into discussions here, far more interesting stuff to do.

Please lets keep that side of discussions away from this open forum, that is not what we are here for.

Thank you

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, I agree that the MVT's Overlord Show was always on the last Bank Holiday weekend of May. I went on several occasions in the latter 1980's and on into the 1990's. They were brilliant shows back when they were on Southsea Common.

I would imagine that the MVT are just carrying-on the tradition which they established all those years ago by continuing with a large scale South Coast event over the Last May Bank Holiday weekend.

But i'm not entirely sure why the aforementioned comments expressed by Mr. Notton were particularly necessary on the forum? I can't see that stooping to that kind of back-biting level will benefit the partcipants of the Overlord show and I haven't seen any evidence of the Beaulie event organisers making these type of comments on HMVF? :-(

Cds

True, but here we have a very negative, one sided viewpoint of an organiser. :naughty:

Like all things, I'm sure that more goes on in the background than the typical vehicle owner who turns up to a show knows about or really particularly cares about.

cds

True, but here we have a very negative, one sided viewpoint of an organiser. :naughty:

As opposed to the no right of reply in a certain, controlled, official journal. :naughty:²

. . . . than the typical vehicle owner who turns up to a show knows about or really particularly cares about.

Absolutely, no argument there whatsoever. :-D

We do our best for SOE's Overlord Show, common sense rules, low cost public entry (£5/£2 and free for some. . . .), lots of loos (cripplingly expensive), free showers (see loos), on-site mains water, fun fair, big beer tent, several acres of tank/WHY playing area and three evenings free entertainment (if the trucks and people aren't enough).

Not bad for a local club I think, why not come along and see; talk to me personally - I'm just the old fart that keeps it all together, somehow, as you do. :-)

[

We do our best for SOE's Overlord Show, common sense rules, low cost public entry (£5/£2 and free for some. . . .), lots of loos (cripplingly expensive), free showers (see loos), on-site mains water, fun fair, big beer tent, several acres of tank/WHY playing area and three evenings free entertainment (if the trucks and people aren't enough).

I couldn't agree more, one of the best shows, I went to last year, even the the rain 'n' mud couldn't dampen the event. In fact having Stollys towing loaded Hgvs and fire engines through the mud, up hill made it for me :-D A group of us traveled over 100 miles to get there last year and the only thing different we will be doing this year is bringing more MV's and people.

I'm really looking forward to it :-D

I have been going to military vehcile shows for about 15 years, and in that time I have met some fantastic people and made some great friend's.

The one thing that upset's me more than anything is the political in fighting betweens group's.

I would like to say that I appriciate the show's that people organise, and would never critisize people's effort's in setting up a show.

I have enjoyed every show that I have been to, what could be better than sitting in a field, surrounded by MV's with your mate's talking a load of rubbish whilst having a drink.

From the moment I arrive to the moment I go home, I don't stop laughing, and that's what it's all about.

Welcome aboard Richard and nice to have you here.

The Overlord board was started to enable folks to be able to organise themselves, their vehicles........and maybe their wives :whistle: to get to the show, which without doubt is renowned as one of the best in the show season.

Like most things in life their are politics involved and to a certain degree, life would be boring without it but please do not feel obliged to justify anything on here - life isn't black and white and most people should be aware of that - just sit back and enjoy.

Just keep talking and sharing and please do keep us all up to date with the latest news..........

Best wishes.

Jack.

I have been going to military vehcile shows for about 15 years, and in that time I have met some fantastic people and made some great friend's.

The one thing that upset's me more than anything is the political in fighting betweens group's.

I would like to say that I appriciate the show's that people organise, and would never critisize people's effort's in setting up a show.

I have enjoyed every show that I have been to, what could be better than sitting in a field, surrounded by MV's with your mate's talking a load of rubbish whilst having a drink.

From the moment I arrive to the moment I go home, I don't stop laughing, and that's what it's all about.

VERY nicely put!!! :-) :-) :-)

One of these days I shall get to the show!!!!! Might even get to meet Richard too - after all this time and correpondence - he's saved my skin many times in regards to things Stalwart related!

Welcome aboard Richard and nice to have you here.

Thank you Jack, that's most thoughtful and much appreciated.

The Overlord board was started to enable folks to be able to organise themselves, their vehicles........and maybe their wives :whistle: to get to the show, which without doubt is renowned as one of the best in the show season.

And thanks again, I have done the show since 2002 and seen the club rally round to expand the show to what it is now and make my one week a year hiatus a little less of a pandemonium, even when it rains a lot. . . . . :-D

Apart from enjoying the forum areas immensely, I'm here for both the pats and brick-bats, what we can do we'll do, the impossible might take longer; if most of the people are pleased most of the time, its a result.

There will be at least one never been seen at a show before MV and at least one unique allied truck; which is as far as the crystal ball currently extends just now. :-)

All the best

Always. We took our WW1 Autocar to Popham once and then also the location before Horndean.

That would have been Denmead Tim, and I recall lending a hand with an ignition problem IIRC. I'm sure people would like to see more of the Autocar.

Just thought that you were talking about the recently restored WW1 Daimler truck.

'Fraid not, more's the pity.

Guest COMET

Several members have asked if the Isle of Wight gang are going to Overlord. Regretfully no!. Due to very high ferry fares this year we are limited to what shows we can afford to go to on the mainland.

Regards

Several members have asked if the Isle of Wight gang are going to Overlord. Regretfully no!. Due to very high ferry fares this year we are limited to what shows we can afford to go to on the mainland.

Regards

We are well aware of the efforts of the IoW gang in the past who have supported us in numbers and I'd wish to record also the gang readily lent a hand in pre-show effort.

The very high ferry costs for a few miles of water (I believe the most expensive per mile in the world) is well understood and with the usual ever increasing costs of show attendance make mainland appearances for those on the IoW a difficult matter.

We're just grateful for those who have dug extra deep to join us in the past and reserve a warm welcome to those from the IoW who can join us in the future.

I don't think too many MV owners realise what a monopolised and expensive pain it is to get your truck from and to the IoW.

I know where there is one and its up for sale ;-)

Thought of exactly the same thing, what about turning up on a Normandy beach only to drop off trucks and tanks......................

R Cubed

now now dear, where would we keep it? (would be fun though eh! :evil:)

Sounds like one for Jack and Jerry - bet they could find somewehre to moor it up!!! :whistle: :whistle:

Out of curiosity - how much does an LST go for these days?????

A mere hundred grand :shake:

mind you we do live on the sea front................hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, how much did you say the bank would lend us hunny? :-o