Military Issue Replica Duffle Coats at TK Maxx

Adam Elsdon

I have just bought a Duffle Coat made by Montgomery of England at TK Maxx for £75 and its a very good replica of their original duffles made for the WD and issued to the Royal Navy and other services in WW1 and WW2.

It has the correct brass buttons in the hood to adjust the size (Big enough to wear over a peak cap) twisted hemp rope loops and wooden toggles, adjusters on the cuffs, and more importantly, it doesn't have some ghastly tartan lining, its left unlined as original, and it is amazingly warm, excellent thing to wear in an open vehicle. I've barely taken mine off in 3 weeks

If you arent sure what they look like, see the pics, id put a link to Original Montgomery, but they have bugger all that looks like it on the website!:-

sterlingchat9nb.jpg

David Niven.jpg

the_cruel_sea_2.jpg

I was recently browsing "images" on Google (no, not that kind !) in relation to particular items.......and found commercial copies of the green 1960 pattern combat smock and WW2-type windproof smock in a sort of green/khaki.....they appear reasonable copies in detail, and were for the civvy fashion market rather than military repros......

Not sure I'd want any personally, and not sure how up to date the images are, but the next time she drags me around TK MAX I might just keep an eye open (rather than both closed)........:-D

I have just bought a Duffle Coat made by Montgomery of England at TK Maxx for £75 and its a very good replica of their original duffles made for the WD and issued to the Royal Navy and other services in WW1 and WW2.

It has the correct brass buttons in the hood to adjust the size (Big enough to wear over a peak cap) twisted hemp rope loops and wooden toggles, adjusters on the cuffs, and more importantly, it doesn't have some ghastly tartan lining, its left unlined as original, and it is amazingly warm, excellent thing to wear in an open vehicle. I've barely taken mine off in 3 weeks

If you arent sure what they look like, see the pics, id put a link to Original Montgomery, but they have bugger all that looks like it on the website!:-

Adam, which T K Maxx did you get the duffle coat from? Thanks. Jerry

Trouble is if 'Military style' becomes fashion, watch the prices rise! :embarrassed:

Ralphlauren already sells replica M42 US para jackets and British smocks.

Puts his name on it and ready.

A bit of a cheap trick I say but its all about the money I guess.

The M42 jackets were very expensive, better to buy 4-6 cheap replica's for the same price.

And being "fashion" they do have a artificial "use by" date anyway...

I still hope to meet someone who was dumb enough to buy one and take the urine out of him for buying a overpriced copy of a 70 year old design.

OK, off my soapbox now...