New Abbot guy on West Coast of USA

Abboteer

Greetings, all.

We have an Abbot here that runs and drives, and are in the process of restoring it here and there. Currently, I am chasing down a leak (no, couldn't be!), which appears to be in the steering unit hydraulic lines. My plan is to just replace them, but having trouble identifying them. The threads look as if they are British Standard Pipe Parallel (BSPP) but the measurements don't add up. It's like they are an in-between size or something.

Question: What is the standard fittings that are used on the Abbot FV433?:undecided:

Observation: The quick (ha!) disconnects going back past the radiator won't open up. Is there a trick?:confused:

Thanks.

ArlingtonAirShow044.jpg

Hi, Andy.

Nice to meet you. Ours is close to yours, 08EB41. The hydraulic lines have a male cone on each end with a spinning hex nut to force them onto the steering unit, which has male outer threads and a slight female cone on the end. The threads I'm referring to are the female threads of the spinning hex nut. I measured them to be 12 TPI, but the closest thing to that in BSPP is 11 TPI. I think the SAE-30 oil has just deteriorated the rubber over the years. UNF is what all of the bolts use, unless they go into a casting, which would normally be a coarse thread. I haven't confirmed this, however.

After this leak problem, we'll be trying to rebuild the gun balancer. Our breech was cut off, so we lack some weight as a counterbalance to the main tube, but we can tack weld that back in place and then recharge the system with dry nitrogen to the 875 psi level or near it, anyway. We will carefully inspect all of that, so we don't pop something.

Jim

Which threads do you mean? The ones on the end of the pipe fittings? They're all standard UNF as far as I'm aware.

What's the army registration number of your Abbot, out of interest?

Andy (currently rebuilding 08EB10)

Jim,

welcome aboard the friendly forum.

I know of and have contact details of another Abbot owner on the west coast, I think he is up Washington State way. If you contact me by email (not PM) I will pass along his info to you. Always useful to chat with another owner.

We have no Abbots so cant help you with any info.

Do you have the smoke grenade launchers? I have one spare in my hands. I have some other bits like spar control box etc I might let go.

Regards

Robin

Union Jack Collection

Ontario

Canada