see the DROPS can do off road fully loaded...

paulob1

The system was utterly determined that it would meet C&U hence all the palaver with wheel sizes and stability issues.

As I have said before the Scammell IMMLC was three axles not four, but the decision was that the much smaller numbers of IMMLC would cause less stress on German roads and could therefore be outside the regs.

Like everything else the second axle was ok though once you understood when it was going to be a help and when it was going to be a hindrance.

I once saw a Scammell EKA, not long into service, that had been out on a job and returning in the early hours. It was parked outside the workshop when I got to work, with the nearside of rearmost axle chained up, no wheels. It appeared they were coming along a straight road when a wheel overtook them on the nearside, across the road and dissappeared into a wood. Being Recymechs, they find a way, so hobbled in on 5 wheels. They went back later and found the wheel deep in the wood. This highlighted a problem of the wheels loosening and a torque wrench was carried from then on. Apparantly Scammell had problems at this time with the 8-wheel Constructor tippers doing the same.

This highlighted a problem of the wheels loosening and a torque wrench was carried from then on. Apparantly Scammell had problems at this time with the 8-wheel Constructor tippers doing the same.

I remember this problem but it was common to most manufacturers, I think it was ERF that suffered a lot of problems with snapped wheelstuds rather than loose wheelnuts. Several people were killed by wheels coming free and at least one haulier and his driver went to jail although were freed on appeal after several months. The road deaths brought things to a head and the Road Research Lab were called in to examine the problem although I don't remember hearing anything about the results. All our drivers were under strict instructions to check all wheel nuts every day and although we suffered the odd broken wheel stud probably due to overtightening we had no more instances of lost wheels.

This highlighted a problem of the wheels loosening and a torque wrench was carried from then on. Apparantly Scammell had problems at this time with the 8-wheel Constructor tippers doing the same.

I remember this problem but it was common to most manufacturers, I think it was ERF that suffered a lot of problems with snapped wheelstuds rather than loose wheelnuts. Several people were killed by wheels coming free and at least one haulier and his driver went to jail although were freed on appeal after several months. The road deaths brought things to a head and the Road Research Lab were called in to examine the problem although I don't remember hearing anything about the results. All our drivers were under strict instructions to check all wheel nuts every day and although we suffered the odd broken wheel stud probably due to overtightening we had no more instances of lost wheels.

During my apprenticeship we we were told to tighten well oiled wheel nuts till the sqeaked when you jumped on cracker bar never lost any wheels but did suffer broken wheelstuds. at the time worked on all british range of vehicles plus volvo scania and daf

it always seemed to be british trucks that had problems though the scandanavian and dutch trucks gave problems when actually trying to remove wheels as the seemed to be froze to the axles as they relied on hubs to hold wheels on not cones on wheel studs

[

During my apprenticeship we we were told to tighten well oiled wheel nuts till the sqeaked when you jumped on cracker bar never lost any wheels but did suffer broken wheelstuds. at the time worked on all british range of vehicles plus volvo scania and daf

it always seemed to be british trucks that had problems though the scandanavian and dutch trucks gave problems when actually trying to remove wheels as the seemed to be froze to the axles as they relied on hubs to hold wheels on not cones on wheel studs

Got to say I was taught exactly the opposite, never to oil or grease studs as it caused overtightening and led to wheel stud failure. Guess you pays your money and takes your choice.:D