Found a new toy.

little ray

Hi Guys, I am coming over from the tracked vehicle forum as I have found a new toy, I have been after a tank for years but the tank chasing has been slowed down over the last months as it has been to cold or wet this winter and I live in Australia but with the warm weather this weekend past I started to chase down another lead which did not turn up any remains as the scrap metal low life had taken the remains. On leaving this farm I was asked to check another farm up the road in the near by area for two Austin A40's for a local club member and they were there but fit for parts only, now on looking around the farm for any good rust I made another discovery which means that the tank chasing will have to end now till later on in the coming years or so and I will move to this section of this forum. In a deserted shed at the back of the property I found a Ford MB Jeep in its original state minus one front wheel and a broken chassis with all the bits and spares stacked in the corner so I have very little to find and really only needs a good clean up to get the dirt and lime dust out and off it and repair the break to start using it also there was no rust in it, its been sitting in the shed for years with little access to the out side world so it has never been ratted so I asked the owner if he wanted to sell and he said maybe but he would not take under $2000 for it and it had to be cash so I now own it and will be picking it up tomorrow. The main items that are not with it is the rifle bucket, spare wheel, Jerry can holder but the US army can was there, the front bumper bar but the remains were there, no key at this time, the door safety straps but the ends are there and the canvas is rotted with time and conditions but I will add more photo once I get it home but here are a few to see what it looks like... Ray

house hunt 364.jpg

house hunt 367.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Ray,

That jeep looks very familiar, did you find it at Mandurama? As I think that I have come across it in my travels.

My god Richard, you have a good memory as thats were it came from. The guy had two of them at one stage and sold the first one but kept this one for a shooting buggy but his son has no idea of how to look after things and move it with the bulldozer and thats what broke the chassis then took the wheels off and dropped the front on the ground. He just drops things were he stands and walks off and never picks things up from what I could see. there was jerry cans been used once and thrown in the long grass with the flaps open and that were they still are today and rusted inside. As I drove back into the village to get some food a guy came over from the Pub and was asking questions about the jeep then got a bit argro as he claimed it was his as the son had given it to him for a home generator and who said I could have it.

I explained that the property owner sold it to me so take it up with him and he stormed out and I was a bit on edge as I did not want a punch up in the main street with the Mrs in the car but he sat back at the pub and glared at me so I drove off.

As to the MB, I have always called it that from back in the 1970's when we used them in the outback (you can explain that one to the guys) when ordering spare parts off the agents in Sydney (thats in Australia and not Nova Scotia Canada) it was the way they describe the vehicle model but if you want the correct name then lets call it.. Truck, 1/4-ton, 4x4 command reconnaissance vehicle. thats straight of my US Army repair manual (ORD 9 SNL G-503)

Also on the front cover (FORD, WILLYS, Model MB-GPW) so you work it out from there and I will stand corrected..

I have found a Ford Chassis with the Diffs under it being used as a trailer so I have offered to buy it if the guy will sell so we could get back on the road a lot quicker. I spent today cleaning up my work shop to fit it in and have now cleared 6 bays and 6 more to go and there is a 66 Mustang buried under the boxes stored in there some were so I could find it as well. I tired to build a shed with a floor area of 320sqm but the local council stopped me so it is now only 270 sqm but that holds 12 vehicles. Hope this answers some of your questions.... Ray

Hey Richard, just a side item about WW2 items, my son is with the Army and returned from that cesspit called Afghanistan and was sent to another assignment in the pacific and I asked him to look out for jeep items for me and they have found a WW2 plane in a bomb crater in the jungle which they are tiring to reach to see if there is any remains, he is more worried about the spiders and millipedes than the snakes so i have asked for some photos if he can get then which I will put up ... Ray

Gosh you guys are hard to please, just like the Mrs, I will not post the spiders or other crawlie things but just the plane, they have uncovered a Jap pill box near the beach but it was empty. He tells me very little has changed in the last 40 years on the place so he will keep looking... Ray

My god Richard, you have a good memory as thats were it came from. The guy had two of them at one stage and sold the first one but kept this one for a shooting buggy but his son has no idea of how to look after things and move it with the bulldozer and thats what broke the chassis then took the wheels off and dropped the front on the ground. He just drops things were he stands and walks off and never picks things up from what I could see. there was jerry cans been used once and thrown in the long grass with the flaps open and that were they still are today and rusted inside. As I drove back into the village to get some food a guy came over from the Pub and was asking questions about the jeep then got a bit argro as he claimed it was his as the son had given it to him for a home generator and who said I could have it.

Hi Ray,

A fascinating story, thanks. It is amazing what you can still find out in your country. As for the farmer leaving things where he left them, I have seen that over here, so nothing new!

Just to elaborate on the MB thing. Willys designed the jeep and designated that model as an MB (earlier version was MA), then Ford were instructed by the US govt to build them as well, slight manufacturing differences on parts but interchangable. The Ford was a GPW. That is the short story :)

regards, Richard

Hi Richard, have you or any forum member have a dealer that can supply GPW parts on the west coast USA or even east coast would help as they have to be a bit cheaper in the US... Ray

Hi Ray,

I am in the UK and jeep spares and dealers are in abundance here, so never had to buy from the US. You have several Jeep spares dealers in NSW, Neil Goodridge is one, Darcy Miller (MV Spares) and there is another one in Sydney, will remember later. Might be handy to talk to the WW2 Jeep club guys who occasionally meet around you neck of the woods. Someone has always got bits to swap or sell.

regards,

Richard

Edited by Richard Farrant

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Ray, I am in the UK and jeep spares and dealers are in abundance here, so never had to buy from the US. You have several Jeep spares dealers in NSW, Neil Goodridge is one, Darcy Miller (MV Spares) and there is another one in Sydney, will remember later. Might be handy to talk to the WW2 Jeep club guys who occasionally meet around you neck of the woods. Someone has always got bits to swap or sell. regards, Richard
Hi Richard and others, the reason I asked for jeep dealers in the US was because of the cheap US dollar but I am now even more wanting of the addressees in the US mainly west coast and I will even take ones in England as the dollar is ok but the customs here are closing the imports boarders and are now adding a duty that was removed in the 1980's. The cost of parts will rise from 5% to ??? (or back to 80% of the 1970's) I have a price sheet from one of the places you listed and I would buy in the US before here as it would work out to about two thirds the price even with freight at this time as I want as much for my dollar as I can get so can you put up a list or send me a list or can others send me a list by private message, I was going to put my email address but that may not be a smart move with the scammers around these days..... Ray

Hi Richard and others, the reason I asked for jeep dealers in the US was because of the cheap US dollar but I am now even more wanting of the addressees in the US mainly west coast and I will even take ones in England as the dollar is ok but the customs here are closing the imports boarders and are now adding a duty that was removed in the 1980's. The cost of parts will rise from 5% to ??? (or back to 80% of the 1970's) I have a price sheet from one of the places you listed and I would buy in the US before here as it would work out to about two thirds the price even with freight at this time as I want as much for my dollar as I can get so can you put up a list or send me a list or can others send me a list by private message, I was going to put my email address but that may not be a smart move with the scammers around these days..... Ray

Hi Ray,

Sorry, I missed this one yesterday. I cannot really recommend any jeep parts dealers in the US, but if you go on to G503.com forum, I believe it is run by a chap called Ron who is a supplier and there seems to be good feedback on him within the forum. It is also a good place to find info on jeeps too.

• 1 month later...

Hi Guys, well I just did a 3000km bush trip and found this under a tree, the owner wants 700 pounds for it ($1200aud)

I think i will buy it but what do you think for value, motor and radiator is out but of it but they are not far away, it had a crack it the block so the guy pulled it and just left it... Ray

house hunt 478.jpg

house hunt 454.jpg

Hi there, well its a story of man verse's wife, after putting up the story about my find a member contacted me from out at Hillston NSW which is about 600Kms as he has some parts to help rebuild the GPW so out of the blue I said lets go on a road trip to a place near by, well after the tempers settled down with me flatly saying I was not going looking for jeep parts or any car items and it was a trip for her to enjoy I was off the hook. First day out on the way there we stopped for coffee and I went taking photos and thats what I found, it should have parts I can use on the ford and I need a some thing to drive on the farm as I am not taking my new $70k Nissan patrol around with tools or barb wire in the back or slobbering dogs in it so it will be my farm hack and thats why I will get it even later to resell if I feel like it. Yes I want GPW jeeps as I will be doing them up for club use and the Mrs never worked out why we went as I never picked up the bits I needed so we will go later when it is cooler.... Ray