Cmp

Bob Grundy

I have just aquired a F60M 1944 tractor unit in quite good condition. The door tops do not seem to be original and I am looking for the correct ones or good information as how to reproduce them to the original spec.

Also I need a Instruction Book, a reprint is OK but not a CD.

Can anyone help ?

Thanks

Bob

There are three manuals that form the basic reading.

MB-F1 is the maintenance manual. They pop up on ebay every so often. It shows how to do things but there's no exploded parts diagrams. It's probably the most important one to have. Don't get mixed up with MB-C1 and C2, which are chevrolet versions. Reprint availabe here - http://www.mark.clubaustin.co.uk/maint_manuals.htm

The illustrated parts list has the exploded parts diagrams. I picked up an F60L reprint on ebay, which is probably close enough for most things (the illustrated parts lists are rather difficult to track down - let me know if you find an FGT one).

The user manuals come in different flavours - the usual one is called "special pattern vehicles". Again they come up on ebay fairly regularly. Theres a F60L specific user handbook from here - http://www.mark.clubaustin.co.uk/drivers_handbooks.htm

If you get stuck let me know. I may have a spare user manual knocking around.

Congrats on the purchase - they're fun vehicles :)

Good places for parts -

Dirk Leegwater - http://www.lwdparts.com/ (CMP specific stuff)

Van Pelt - http://www.vanpeltsales.com/ (period ford stuff)

Mac's - http://macsautoparts.com/ (more period ford stuff)

Edited by Lauren Child

CMP cab 13 door tops are quite different to look at - there's a large clear panel next to a smaller panel with a flap underneath.

Two flat metal prongs stick downwars - they have a screw hole on the flat to secure them onto the door.

Theres a decent photo of a wrecker with windows here - http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5090/5308456456_606f25cf00.jpg

Edited by Lauren Child

It is a 'tractor unit' and the plate is on the inside of the drivers door. MARCH 4-44 F60445-M

At the moment difficult to photograph but by late next week it will be out so I will take some.

That's the early designation of the F60T tractor.

Great find! Looking forward to see some pics.

F60T.jpg

Here is the front of the CMP, now known as a F60T, thanks for that, but it did have M embossed on the plate.

I don't know who restored this but some of the workmanship is quite good, any ideas who ?

There were no brakes working but just needed fluid and bleeding, it starts easily and runs fine, I am very pleased with it.

CMP (F).png

Here is the front of the CMP, now known as a F60T, thanks for that, but it did have M embossed on the plate

Correct, for example the Canadian DND designation for the F60L long wheelbase 3-ton truck was "F-60448-M". This tells us it is a Ford, 60cwt, 4 wheels, 4 driven wheels, 158"wb and Military cab.

So the F60445-M on your F60L translates as Ford, 60cwt, 4 wheels, 4 driven wheels, 115"wb and Military cab.

Edited by mcspool
Added text

Great looking truck! I know there was a recently restored F60T in the UK, possibly this is the same one.

Thanks for link. The French one differs in minor details to mine which also does not have Ford Canada on it. I will use the photos to make mine look a bit better. I would like to know which is the one in the UK that you refer, as I am always interested in the history of particular vehicles.

Hi Bob, Nice truck, I have a few items for this truck, front Radiator grill muff cover NOS, but I think for the Chev version, I have the canvas bits that run down the door glass leading edge but again maybe these are different on a Chev version. Some NOS seat swab covers.

Regards kevin.

Kevin

I will give you a phone call on Monday, about 6pm.

Any photos of the Centaur delivery ?

Bob

Here is the front of the CMP, now known as a F60T, thanks for that, but it did have M embossed on the plate.

I don't know who restored this but some of the workmanship is quite good, any ideas who ?

There were no brakes working but just needed fluid and bleeding, it starts easily and runs fine, I am very pleased with it.

This F60T was at W&P a couple of years ago, is it the same truck?

Image.jpg

Thanks for link. The French one differs in minor details to mine which also does not have Ford Canada on it.

Great pictures. Bob, don't worry, not all Fords had the "Ford Canada" written under the headlights. If I had to tell by heart I think it was only done on 1943 produced trucks(?)

If you search on youtube you will also find one or two movies of the French F60T which now also has the trailer.

Alex

...not all Fords had the "Ford Canada" written under the headlights. If I had to tell by heart I think it was only done on 1943 produced trucks(?)

... you can say, that approx until the end of 1942, the Ford Script wasn't written on the cab. In around 1943 only "Ford" was written, and from 1944 onwards "Ford Canada". Chevy never labelled their cabs.

... you can say, that approx until the end of 1942, the Ford Script wasn't written on the cab. In around 1943 only "Ford" was written, and from 1944 onwards "Ford Canada". Chevy never labelled their cabs.

So perhaps this Ford has had a Chevrolet cab fitted at some time ?

So perhaps this Ford has had a Chevrolet cab fitted at some time ?

Bob, swapping a Ford nose clip for a Chevy one is possible, but not very likely in this case; The contour for the headlights differ from Ford to Chev.....Ford cutout is almost a round hole, while the Chevy has a more oval shaped hole, extending to the lower edge of the clip......leaving no space to write Chevrolet Canada:D

Also the lower edge of the front clip differs between Ford and Chev, look closely at the section above the steering box one one end and above the horn at the other end.

Alex