GMC CCKW Photo Blog

Vulture

Ken

Good spot !!! I had missed that. Which means..... I already have that vehicle !!! LOL :) I've consolidated into No 125.

I'm trawling through the HMVF and Flick sites at the moment. My guess is I'll top out at around the 200 mark.....

Ian

Ken

It seems I was wrong... Now at 250 and still climbing !

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For those interested the Blog stats are now as follows:

Blog Statistics

283 x UK based vehicles.

6 x Foreign owned vehicles (seen in the UK).

Of The 289

70 x CCKW 352 (24%).

219 x CCKW 353 (76%).

Of The 289

189 x Open Cab (65%).

100 x Closed Cab (35%).

Analysis Of The 289

38 x 352 Open Cab (13%) (54% of 352)

32 x 352 Closed Cab (11%) (46% of 352)

151 x 353 Open Cab (52%) (69% of 353)

68 x 353 Closed Cab (24%) (31% of 353)

Varieties of The 289

4 x Airportable (1.4%)

5 x Bolster (1.7%)

219 x Cargo - Metal (75.8%)

5 x Cargo - Wooden (1.7%)

2 x Clubmobile (0.7%)

3 x Compressor (1%)

7 x Converted (2.4%)

3 x Radio Van (1%)

3 x Tanker (1%)

13 x Tipper (4.5%)

1 x Tractor Unit (0.3%)

24 x Workshop (8.3%)

Edited by Vulture
Formatting

For those interested the Blog stats are now as follows:

Blog Statistics

283 x UK based vehicles.

6 x Foreign owned vehicles (seen in the UK).

Of The 289

70 x CCKW 352 (24%).

219 x CCKW 353 (76%).

Of The 289

189 x Open Cab (65%).

100 x Closed Cab (35%).

Analysis Of The 289

38 x 352 Open Cab (13%) (54% of 352)

32 x 352 Closed Cab (11%) (46% of 352)

151 x 353 Open Cab (52%) (69% of 353)

68 x 353 Closed Cab (24%) (31% of 353)

Varieties of The 289

4 x Airportable (1.4%)

5 x Bolster (1.7%)

219 x Cargo - Metal (75.8%)

5 x Cargo - Wooden (1.7%)

2 x Clubmobile (0.7%)

3 x Compressor (1%)

7 x Converted (2.4%)

3 x Radio Van (1%)

3 x Tanker (1%)

13 x Tipper (4.5%)

1 x Tractor Unit (0.3%)

24 x Workshop (8.3%)

Oh wow that's amazing!!! Love looking at the pictures :)

Not a bad idea :-)

Ok why not put this up as a future event and see how it runs.....might be interesting to see how many people are interested.

TBH I'm staggered how many people come up to me when out with the GMC and say " I've got one of those" meaning the gmc but they never seem to take it out. True high mpg but I cant understand why people would chose to own one and never take it out. Ours is out every month .....at least.

Gary

Ok why not put this up as a future event and see how it runs.....might be interesting to see how many people are interested.

TBH I'm staggered how many people come up to me when out with the GMC and say " I've got one of those" meaning the gmc but they never seem to take it out. True high mpg but I cant understand why people would chose to own one and never take it out. Ours is out every month .....at least.

Gary

Gary

Ordinarily I might be game to try and organise something, but with the imminent house move can I see a lot of my time over the coming 8 months being tied up with DIY and garden projects. The truck has soaked up so much cash these last 6 months personally I'll only be doing modest trips out in the York locale.

Kind regards

Vulture

• 2 months later...

Hi guys

A chap called Simon Sage contacted me recently. He has a huge collection of military photos on his web site: Miliblog. He was kind enough to share his CCKW photos with me, so I have incorporated 68 of them. This has taken the total of vehicles seen in the UK to 351. Link

Blog Statistics

336 x UK based vehicles.

15 x Foreign owned vehicles (seen in the UK).

249 x Vehicle registrations recorded. (71%)

721 photos embedded.

Of The 351

85 x CCKW 352 (24%).

266 x CCKW 353 (76%).

Of The 351

219 x Open Cab (62%).

132 x Closed Cab (38%).

Analysis Of The 351

46 x 352 Open Cab (13%) (54% of 352)

39 x 352 Closed Cab (11%) (46% of 352)

174 x 353 Open Cab (50%) (66% of 353)

92 x 353 Closed Cab (26%) (35% of 353)

Varieties:

4 x Air-portable (1.1%)

5 x Bolster (1.4%)

257 x Metal Cargo (73.2%)

11 x Wooden Cargo (3.1%)

2 x Clubmobile (0.6%)

4 x Compressor (1.1%)

8 x Converted (2.3%)

3 x Radio Van (0.9%)

5 x Tanker (1.4%)

19 x Tipper (5.4%)

1 x Tractor Unit (0.3%)

32 x Workshop (9.1%)

50% have Winch fitted.

15% have a Gun Ring fitted.

Kind regards to all

Vulture

Interesting stats, the thought occurs that if all those trucks were in one place at one time it would make one very impressive show and one very long convoy :wow:

Pete

Indeed ! But what a sight ! :cool2: :)

• 3 months later...
Spotted this one last weekend at Belper Steam show, don't know if its in the blog or not?

036_zps111e56f2.jpg

Scott

Hi Scott

Yes I have it recorded as No: 218 Registration: UNN788X Link Thanks for posting anyway though, your photo is better that the main one I have :). Would you mind if I used it ?

Interesting front arrangement on this truck, with the double can holders, off-set width sticks, double tow eyes and box over the winch.

Kind regards

Vulture

Hi Scott

Yes I have it recorded as No: 218 Registration: UNN788X Link Thanks for posting anyway though, your photo is better that the main one I have :). Would you mind if I used it ?

Interesting front arrangement on this truck, with the double can holders, off-set width sticks, double tow eyes and box over the winch.

Kind regards

Vulture

Yes not a problem.

Scott

Kind regards

Vulture

Box over the winch? - I thought that was a mobile tombola :)

Not to my liking at all, but I guess it takes all sorts!

So you know what the next step is :shocked: What you need to do is get contact details of the vehicles for their current owners and try to sort out a GMC gathering in a central area convenient for all.

It's a great idea in theory:cool2:, but with fuel prices the way they are:shocked:, I wonder how feasible the idea is in practice.... :-(

We did the Series of Red Ball Express convoy events in Wiltshire which ran from 1990 to 1995, I think the most CCKW's we managed to get together was 18, although the convoy's also had many Dodge's, DT's, Wards, etc etc and we totaled around 45 on the best Red Ball run. When Ed Abbott and I did Operation Bolero in 2007 here in Suffolk we had around 80 vehicles in the convoy and I think we had over 20 CCKW's.

I'm intrigued now - i'll have to go and look up the participants list and work it out exactly when i get a moment!

We did the Series of Red Ball Express convoy events in Wiltshire which ran from 1990 to 1995, I think the most CCKW's we managed to get together was 18, although the convoy's also had many Dodge's, DT's, Wards, etc etc and we totaled around 45 on the best Red Ball run. When Ed Abbott and I did Operation Bolero in 2007 here in Suffolk we had around 80 vehicles in the convoy and I think we had over 20 CCKW's.

I'm intrigued now - i'll have to go and look up the participants list and work it out exactly when i get a moment!

Ours was one of the 20 or so in 2007! I'm sure there's lots of pictures on here somewhere. Will look tonight when I return from work