WW1 Peerless Truck

Great War truck

Here is another shot of a British Army Peerless truck in Palestine outside a British hospital in Jerusalem circa 1918

Library of Congress image

http://www.loc.gov/pictures/item/mpc2005000761/PP/

HMVF3.jpg

Close-up

HMVF 1.jpg

This is another vehicle at the same location but not sure what it is. 1918

Library of Congress image again

http://www.loc.gov/pictures/item/mpc2005000676/PP/

HMVF 2.jpg

DesertBlooms88

hmvf4.jpg

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 year later...

One of the few Peerless trucks in the UK recently came up for sale in the estate of Michael Banfield. It sold for about £46,000 and has a new home in Ireland.

IMG_4611_zpsa2f571fd.jpg

It was rebuilt in the 1960’s and they made a new radiator and bonnet for it. Both are a bit of an odd shape giving a strange appearance to the truck. Anyway, it is quite a handsome truck and very shiny. Worth a few photos.

Data plate. Very low chassis number, but gives the date as 1915.

IMG_4681_zpsd6a2b689.jpg

Rebuild plate from Slough:

IMG_4683_zps1ba1615b.jpg

Peerless plate on the rear chassis member suggesting this is an early chassis:

IMG_4685_zps4596d5d2.jpg

Post war metal rear wheels:

IMG_4688_zpse35290f2.jpg

Magneto switch. Not the original one I think, it should be a K&N.

IMG_4692_zps5710de83.jpg

Funny radiator:

IMG_4698_zps1c0bab54.jpg

Oil gauge (we need one of these)

IMG_4701_zps75abc2cb.jpg

Petrol tap:

IMG_4708_zps1de023b4.jpg

Front wheels:

IMG_4720_zpsba8eadfa.jpg

Edited by Great War truck

IMG_4681_zpsd6a2b689.jpg

We don't have this plate for ours and are going to have to make one. Can anyone tell me how they produce the background texture on a casting like this? Is it a sheet of material cut around the letters or maybe with letters stuck on with a thick glue? I really don't know but a lot of old plates have this style.

Steve

I've seen that often before but never considered how they did it.

It is obviously a coarse material backing, but no sign of glue attachment ( it would be difficult to get it that neat with glue - however good )

If I had to guess I'd say the letters and signs had pins on the back and were tapped through the material into a softwood backing - that would give you a neat finish.

We don't have this plate for ours and are going to have to make one. Can anyone tell me how they produce the background texture on a casting like this? Is it a sheet of material cut around the letters or maybe with letters stuck on with a thick glue? I really don't know but a lot of old plates have this style.

Steve

Isn't the backing just an impression of a piece of finely woven metal mesh?

That would facilitate pinning the letters through onto a wooden backing plate.

For the lettering you could always try Slaters model railway lettering in one of the larger sizes - and the "Peerless" could be filed up from 60 thou plastic card - or laminations thereof. I've seen somebody do this for the "Villiers on a 1/6th scale Welbike

Edited by simon king

Yes, I can see now that this one has a heavy cloth (Hessian?) or a mesh backing. I wonder how they got the letters so straight and neat as there is not the faintest sign of a wobble. I hadn't thought of using pins but even they will be difficult in small letters. Other plates have a textured background of dimples or pyramids. Was some sort of laminate available at the time which could be glued onto the pattern backboard?

Thanks for your comments. An intriguing puzzle!

Steve :-)

Wax is an interesting idea. The letters could just be pushed into it which would give the crisp edges. If the letters had long pins and the wax was a significant depth, they would be held well enough for a master to be cast.

Someone will know for sure somewhere!

Thanks!

Steve

• 5 months later...
  • 6 months later...

If you are not set on using period technology then I think that 3D printing could be useful here.

Actually doing the texture is a bit tricky (computationally expensive) but I can imagine 3D-printing the lettering with a support structure then pressing that into a wax texture.

Of course, you would need a 3D CAD model of the plate, something a little bit like this:

Peerless.jpg

If you are not set on using period technology then I think that 3D printing could be useful here.

Actually doing the texture is a bit tricky (computationally expensive) but I can imagine 3D-printing the lettering with a support structure then pressing that into a wax texture.

Of course, you would need a 3D CAD model of the plate, something a little bit like this:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]108133[/ATTACH]

or he could just do what i`v said at #47:

http://www.anaglypta.co.uk/our-papers/brand/original

rather than go down expensive and time consuming guff...

or he could just do what i`v said at #47:

http://www.anaglypta.co.uk/our-papers/brand/original

rather than go down expensive and time consuming guff...

That doesn't help very much with getting a neat logo and lettering.

Thinking about this some more, with a DLP printer you could actually print the base, glue on some metal mesh (or hessian, or wallpaper) then carry on printing the lettering and logo on top.

However, that probably isn't something that you would get done by a commercial 3D printer.

As for cost, this company charge 20p per cm3 + £4 per part, so a chassis plaque pattern would be in the region of £25 http://www.3dprint-uk.co.uk/portfolio/pricing/ (though I think that other higher-resolution processes might be more suitable)