Refit of jeep engine

hoppy

Question

Hi all

Just a quick line to ask advice or opinions in relation to the refitting of an engine into a Hotchkiss jeep.

The engine has been taken out for valve work and everything bar the distributor was stripped off. I would especially like to know if any gaskets need replacing as a matter of course regardless of condition and what if any selants need to be used as the TM9-803 I have refers a couple of times to replacing gaskets and 'cemeting' into place.

Many thanks.

Hoppy

as you can see, ask a question and get a multitude of answers which can seem to contradict and confuse your original question.

The fact is there are sometimes a number of ways of doing a job or several answers to a problem, some better than others, some more expensive, some more time consuming and some dependant on conditions of use. None give you a definitive answer and I'm afraid it can be an elusive beast to track down so I suggest you take on board all the comments you get from questions asked on forums such as this perhaps ask the same question of one of the many vintage forums on the web and compare the answers in other words see if there is a consensus, read the manual or advert blurb (in the case of a product) then apply some common sense.

Never be afraid to ask the question in the first place... and then have a go.....it's the only way to gain experience.

Pete ;)

Just been down to Halford's for a couple of flexi hose clamps. I took the oppertunity to read the side of a tin of thier 20/50 Classic oil. It's described as a Traditional, Green Mineral oil. With added seal thickners, LOW DETERGENT, with a thicker viscosity. Formulated for 60' 70' 80's engines. I'm old enough to remember when the black and white 405 line ITV had adverts for the first Q20/50 oils, it was toted as the greatest thing since cars began.

The tin is up the yard somewhere, I'll take a picture of it and post the details. The T-214 engine runs quite happily on it. I'm also still trrying to track down a local supplier for Morris straight gear oil though.

If you go on Morris's site you can send a message asking for your nearest stockist. I know there is one in Headcorn but don't know how near that is to you.

Ray

Going off at a tangent; how was the Normandy trip? Hope you had a great time over there wish could have gone myself but with work etc .................. I did get to the last meeting; bored some people with the pictures of the loose valve (lots of sucking of teeth) had a cup of tea and a guided tour of the yard with all the stored goodies!!!

Sorry that I missed the meeting, the trip to Normandy was very good, I dont know if you have ever been but if not you really should go. I am glad that you made the meeting, please try to make the next one, I would love to talk with you and we can take a much closer look at the engine. One of our members had his Jeep engine completely reconditioned before assembly (done by himself) the cost was very reasonable and its running like a Swiss watch.

Tony, Premier Supply Autoparts, they are on the web.

Thanks Degsey! I can get down there end of next week, God and flooding permitting of course.

Just had a look at the website, that seems to cover just about anything on wheels!

Edited by Tony B

Thanks Degsey! I can get down there end of next week, God and flooding permitting of course.

Just had a look at the website, that seems to cover just about anything on wheels!

Jack - I'd like to nominate DEGSY for this month's HMVF Shield for his lubrication advice combined with perseverence in the face of adversity.

Tony, it might be a good idea to give them a ring, they may have to order it in for you. Morris's part no is AG90.

Tony, it might be a good idea to give them a ring, they may have to order it in for you. Morris's part no is AG90.

Cheers , though I may just pop down to nose around on the excuse of going to the airfeild to order half a lamb for the freezer (My excuse I'll stick to it :-D) Good news I now have an MOT on Katy so sent of for registration docs. So I could take her down to Headcorn when the musuem is open, after all it was used as an USAAF fighter/fighter bomber base. :cool2: And there are often Mustangs visiting.... Oh you devil stop tempting me!!

Edited by Tony B

Hoppy

as you can see, ask a question and get a multitude of answers which can seem to contradict and confuse your original question.

The fact is there are sometimes a number of ways of doing a job or several answers to a problem, some better than others, some more expensive, some more time consuming and some dependant on conditions of use. None give you a definitive answer and I'm afraid it can be an elusive beast to track down so I suggest you take on board all the comments you get from questions asked on forums such as this perhaps ask the same question of one of the many vintage forums on the web and compare the answers in other words see if there is a consensus, read the manual or advert blurb (in the case of a product) then apply some common sense.

Never be afraid to ask the question in the first place... and then have a go.....it's the only way to gain experience.

Pete ;)

Pete

I think you are spot on. I don't think there is anything wrong with a bit of lively debate; from this thread and resulting research etc I have learnt a bit more, quite important as I am a newcomer not only to this site but MV's in general.

Hopefully got the oil sorted just need to go and get gaskets etc and wait for the engine to return.

Many thanks