Avatars and the stories behind them

montie

An avatar is quite small, so one don't really see the details. Mine for example, is a picture af a painting commemorating the return of the boers after being banished to Ceylon, after the 2nd Boer war, following the defeat by England. On returning home to their farms, all they found were burnt-down farm dwellings and graves.

This particular photo depicts such a farmer on his return. For me, this it is heart-rending.

dis al.jpg

The under-writing means, when loosely translated:

"It is the clear, it is the blue:

it is the field, it is the sky:

and a bird winging overhead in a lonesome flight--

thats all.

It is abannished returned over the ocean.

It is a grave in the grass.

It is a falling teardrop--

Thats all"

Edited by montie

An avatar is quite small, so one don't really see the details. Mine for example, is a picture af a painting commemorating the return of the boers after being banished to Ceylon,after the 2nd Boer war, following the defeat by England . On returning home to there farms all they found were burnt-down farm dwellings and graves.

This particular photo depicts such a farmer on his return. For me, this it is heart-rending.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]60865[/ATTACH]

The under-writing means, when loosely translated:

"It is the clear, it is the blue:

it is the field, it is the sky:

and a bird winging overhead in a lonesome flight--

thats all.

It is abannished returned over the ocean.

It is a grave in the grass.

It is a falling teardrop--

Thats all"

That's really nice.

My avatar needs little explaining! I really am called Rosie (well actually it's Rosemary) at shows I wear Rosie the Riveter look a like clothing!

My avatar is Orange William. A British anti-tank guided weapon instigated in 1956, able to destroy a heavy tank at 6,000 yds three times greater than its rival. It did not fail technically, it failed on grounds of cost & so we bought a cheaper foreign weapon.

House of Lords 25th March 1958

"Development is continuing on an advanced anti-tank guided weapon which, we are told, should remove the heavy tank from the battlefield."

House of Commons 5th May 1958

"A limited number of anti-tank guided weapons of an interim type have been ordered for evaluation and troop trials. Work is proceeding on the development of a more advanced anti-tank guided weapon."

House of Commons 11th November 1959

"The successful development of the missile known as Malkara makes it possible to effect the earlier deployment of an air-portable anti-tank guided weapon than would have been the case with Orange William. We have decided that the improvements which the latter offered do not justify the expense and effort needed to bring it to fruition. This specific project was accordingly cancelled."

I like reading Discworld novels too, but my avatar is my Sno-Cat, a 1953 type 443.

ORANGE6.jpg

The original GIF file is animated, but won't run as an avatar image here;

sn.gif

Edited by Gordon_M

Mine is kind of simple

Spitfire 1a AR213 taken at a dampish Shoreham in 2008

Remember seeing it many a time a Booker. Used to cycle there every few weeks in the summer when I was younder. That was about 11 miles each way. Must have been mad.

One very nice aircraft.

Mike

spitfireo2..jpg

Mine is kind of simple

Spitfire 1a AR213 taken at a dampish Shoreham in 2008

Remember seeing it many a time a Booker. Used to cycle there every few weeks in the summer when I was younder. That was about 11 miles each way. Must have been mad.

One very nice aircraft.

Mike

Off topic I'm afraid! :undecided:

I know booker well, I was born in High Wycombe!!!!!!! Small world. :kiss:

Off topic I'm afraid! :undecided:

I know booker well, I was born in High Wycombe!!!!!!! Small world. :kiss:

I was just outside Amersham then.

Who knows I could have cycled past your house.

Would have been in in 79-81.

They do say you are only six people away from meeting anybody.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Six_degrees_of_separation

In fact it turned out that when the wife was 6/7 she used to go on holiday to the same place and time as a bloke I used to work with who was a similar age.

Just goes to show how easily it could be true.

Mike

Mine is the cap badge of the Reconnaissance Corps. My vehicles are painted to represent those used by the 43rd Reconnaissance Regiment, the Recce Regiment of the 43rd Wessex Division, part of the BLA in NW Europe 1944-45.

The patron of our vehicle group is Brigadier Frank Henn, now 91 but still active in efforts to remember the achievements of the Regiment and the Division. Brigadier Henn, a Dunkirk veteran, was a Major and Squadron Leader in 43rd Recce Regiment and is their senior surviving Officer.

Sadly both the 43rd Recce Regiment OCA and the 43rd Divisional Association disbanded last year due to the increasing age of the membership. The latter Association has reformed as a charitable trust. As a former committee member of the Div Association I am now a trustee of the new trust, activities I have been privileged to have been a part of for the last decade.

Now is the time to make an extra effort to record and honour the sacrifices and achievements of the WW2 servicemen and women before it is too late. Find the veteran users of your vehicles and quiz them, they usually enjoy it!

(steps off soapbox!)

Cheers

Paul