Hi from Brucie

Brucie

Greetings Brucie, in your REME time did you have much to do with the Humber 1 Ton?

Spent 2 years working on them at a 1st line unit, did not have much to do to them as they seemed to go well, but when a engine fault developed i.e. electrics they were a bit of a nightmare to fix and they were forever leaking oil on the wheel stations and this was a 2nd line repair, apart from stripping and adjusting the brakes along with a bit of body fabrication they were fine?

Spent 2 years working on them at a 1st line unit, did not have much to do to them as they seemed to go well, but when a engine fault developed i.e. electrics they were a bit of a nightmare to fix and they were forever leaking oil on the wheel stations and this was a 2nd line repair, apart from stripping and adjusting the brakes along with a bit of body fabrication they were fine?

Brucie good to hear that they didn't cause you much in the way of problems. I love Humbers & at one stage I had 4 of various sorts. There are several others on here with similar tendencies, so always keen to pick up any snippets of history or problems about them. What era & theatre did you work on them? Don't suppose you have any pictures of some of the lads beside a Humber?

Nice too see you , too see you nice !

sorry couldn't resist :blush:

Thanks for the chuckle, I always think its good to be able to laugh at oneself, life is to serious nowadays

Cheers

Brucie

Brucie good to hear that they didn't cause you much in the way of problems. I love Humbers & at one stage I had 4 of various sorts. There are several others on here with similar tendencies, so always keen to pick up any snippets of history or problems about them. What era & theatre did you work on them? Don't suppose you have any pictures of some of the lads beside a Humber?

Hi Clive

Worked on them in N.I. between 83 - 85 where we had a fleet around 15 which were used on a daily basis, previous to that we had a few when I did my first tour in N.I. 75-76 but they did not do a lot of running around as they tended to be held in reserve so never really did much work on them in that 4 months and then at MVEE between 77-80 where they were used for trials and equipment assessment.

Sorry no pictures as with anything when surronded by them the last thing on your mind is to take pictures which is something I do now regret, but if you visit the following website "www.theroyalscots.co.uk" and select their picture gallery and then select the following and browse "Photographs from members of the regiment" & "Photographs from members of the regiment vol 4" there are a couple of pictures of the humbers being deployed by the regiment in N.I.

Regards

George

George ok thank you. Yes found the Mk 1 pig pictures, I assume that was early 1970s? Although there were 80 Mk 1 Pigs retained over there which never went through Op Bracelet. I suspect they were held in reserve-reserve or used for troop training as here so the pics might be later?

So you went to MVEE 1977 did you get in on the tail end of the Saracen SWD development? I wonder if you can explain something I've not understood & that is the relationship between MVEE & Vehicles Branch REME Support Group & was that the same as 5 M.A.G.?

[

George ok thank you. Yes found the Mk 1 pig pictures, I assume that was early 1970s? Although there were 80 Mk 1 Pigs retained over there which never went through Op Bracelet. I suspect they were held in reserve-reserve or used for troop training as here so the pics might be later?

So you went to MVEE 1977 did you get in on the tail end of the Saracen SWD development? I wonder if you can explain something I've not understood & that is the relationship between MVEE & Vehicles Branch REME Support Group & was that the same as 5 M.A.G.?

[

Hi Clive

Did not get into any Saracen work at MVEE. being on a 2 year posting there we tended to get the shorter tasks or the tasks that the civvies did not get, i.e me and my buddy Mick had to remove a bogie axle from a 60 ton trailer which was being trialled to take what was then the Sha's Tank now Challenger, it had broken down at the testing site at Aldershot, Longvalley if my memory serves me right, the brakes had seized on and we had to remove the bogie axle at longvalley and take it back to Chertsey where it was inspected and repaired.

As you know MVEE carried out all the testing and trial work on all Vehicles entering service and these trials also continued after the vehicle had entered service, I was carried out work on the Bedford MK which had been in service a few years then and the job was to repair the Chassis, where the fuel tank was mounted as the holes in the chassis were cracking, had to crack test it, drill the cracks and grind them ready for welder to repair them and in all my time in the service I never saw that fault again.

As you know Vehicles Branch did the EMERs and the modifications(Many years later I used to curse them as every month we used to get a boxload of updates for EMERs and Parts List that I used to have to file them) and they used to liase with the trials of the vehicles usually with the project leader and tended to get involved with the trials and sometimes I would see them in the workshops working on a vehicle, they were mostly senior ranks and we tended to know most of them at they were billited at our barracks.

Regards

George

As for 5 MAG I cant remember but they were working in the same building as vehiles branch.