Bovington??

Rick W

Hi Rick, you will love it, it was quite something this year. A beautiful day on the Saturday but Sunday, my god it poured down and I had 22 reenactors in the back of my jimmy and one in the front and the cab canvas was off and we sat in in the pouring rain for 1 hour......... :cry: :shake:

And you call youself a Global Moderator! Maybe you should make an effort to get out more!! :naughty:

Anyone ever been to the Isle of Wight tank museum, they got a good little collection of vehicles plus a great tank scrapyard out the back you can wander round, bits of Churchills, Shermans Stollys etc.

I've been trying for some time. But there is always something more important to do. I never make New year Resolutions....But I have made a promise to myself to get to more events and use my heap more next year. Quite why young Jack made me a moderator remains a mystery. You best ask him why... The last time I was on the Isle of Wight was August 1978. I was not long out of the army and skint. It was the last time I went anywhere with my parents (I think they paid!). I have never been so bored in my life - but I did have one good day enjoying a trip round Portsmouth harbour filming ships home from the Cod War - or waiting to be scrapped - with my Yashica Lynx. We had a Navy then.....

I've been trying for some time. But there is always something more important to do. I never make New year Resolutions....But I have made a promise to myself to get to more events and use my heap more next year. Quite why young Jack made me a moderator remains a mystery. You best ask him why... The last time I was on the Isle of Wight was August 1978. I was not long out of the army and skint. It was the last time I went anywhere with my parents (I think they paid!). I have never been so bored in my life - but I did have one good day enjoying a trip round Portsmouth harbour filming ships home from the Cod War - or waiting to be scrapped - with my Yashica Lynx. We had a Navy then.....

Well, you had better come and stay with me next time as Bovy is only just down the road :dunno:

Would like to get to the Bovington tankfest but it clashes with a more local show which we support as a group - Royal Gunpowder Mills, Waltham Abbey.

Maybe one day if they move the date.

Tankfest also clashes with MVT Kemble as it did last year :|

Thats true Clive.....not sure of the attendance of Kemble but Tankfest had 7000.

Yes but the Tankfest also had rain :roll:

Kemble had sunshine, BUT it also had someone near me who insisted on running his vehicle continuously to charge his battery to run his fridge to keep his milk cool. A rather lavish waste of fuel & he seemed oblivious to hints. So what do you do in a crowded site? I packed up sunday morning & came home. But all of my time at GDSF was spent listening to my neighbours generator running throughout the day. My mistake was accept a nice cool beer, then its difficult to say anything. But people are not so much deliberately selfish but unthinking :dunno:

Clive, perhaps you and I should get a caravan together........in a middle of a field somewhere?

Yes but we would have to decide on whether its a WW2 caravan or a PW one?

When I'm in the pig it's not so bad I can move easily but if its the Cypher Trailer with Hornet or Wolf its a case of hitching up & all that manoevering. Although big shows you tend to have to stay put. Generators are a pain. At shows I always sleep with earplugs, the solid waxy type. Because during the night there will be discos/radios/Glen miller, drunken pratteries, arguements, dogs barking, late night philosphers, generators, door slammers, domestics, early risers, bugle players etc. I CAN cope with all that at night because of the ear plugs. But sitting around my vehicle all day with earplugs because of a generator is not so good :dunno:

At shows I always sleep with earplugs, the solid waxy type. Because during the night there will be discos/radios/Glen miller, drunken pratteries, arguements, dogs barking, late night philosphers, generators, door slammers, domestics, early risers, bugle players etc.

Clive,

Over the many years of rallies and shows, you have just about covered it all, except one, a demented idiot at Beltring in 2005. One o'clock in the morning he decided to drive a Ransomes MG crawler around the site with an air raid siren going. Now these crawlers do only crawl and it seemed to take for ever before he dcided to park up. I like the philosphers one, you have to listen to a slurred meaningless discussion........ I can't wait till showtime, I am missing it all already. :-D

I like the philosphers one, you have to listen to a slurred meaningless discussion...

And it gets louder as the night goes on, usually terminated by aggro, someone being sick or incessant giggling & falling over. (Although I have been involved in the last three in my earlier years) A sort live version of this :dunno: The advantage of here if its a topic that is of no interest you just ignore it. But at a show one needs to choose one's neighbours carefully :whistle:

nobody has mentioned the incessant farting.

I have been a witness to displays of not just incessant but incandescent farting, I won't lower the tone with a link but YouTube has 444 clips of this activity with varying degrees of success :nono:

Hi,

it can be difficult these days as there are so many shows and some invariably clash.

The Bovy show this year clashed with my daughters dance show and the excuse i used was `that as the show is bi-annual i`ll be there, dance show next year` may have to use plan B this year (what ever that is ???).

I know some of our guy`s left the Kemble show early due to camping problems and came to Bovy + rain.

If the show is dedicated to all that USA gear will this mean that other armour/vehicles will not be shown ? because love it or hate it the Tiger and the German armour is a big crowd puller especially this year with the half tracks fro the SDKFZ foundation and the Jagd. panther :bow:

Could prove interesting.

Ashley