best metal primer

I've been using this stuff on the Militant, with quite impressive results.

Zinc.jpg

It's called Bondaprimer. Very much like the old fashioned red lead, except that it is zinc based, so a bit safer. It can be brushed or sprayed on, normal primer or top coat can go straight over it. I get it from my local paint/body shop supplier, about £25 for 2.5ltr. Only problem I found is you have to stir it forever, and keep stirring it as you use it otherwise the zinc body sinks to the bottom of the tin and you find you are only smearing the solvent on.

Just popping to the shed......On projects I have done I have used a Zinc Phosphate primer. Have sprayed it on Landi. panels and on still a slight surface rust brush painted. It is a very heavy bodied primer, would not leave a good finish to overspray if brushed with out cutting back. Just a thought.

There is allso a Micaceous Oxide that is a excelent rust inhibiter, if you can find it. I have only ever brushed it on. Under stand used on ships etc.

The Bonda stuff sounds good but a quick google found this - http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=29185

Sounds like a trial on a bit of gash could be wise before doing a whole vehicle.

On the projects that I've been involved with at Duxford we've mostly used red oxide, though I don't think it's got lead in it any more. They've all looked good when done. I've just picked some of the WarPaint red oxide to do the roof of my CMP, which is showing some rust coming through.

Has anyone tried a Leighs Paints product called Epigrip as that is what we spec on new steel in buildings and it is a Epoxy based paint, so would be very robust........

I guess good old HMG do a good base coat range also????????????????

I have also used the French paint Deproma and that is far superior to Hammerite, but can be topcoated........Even thinned with simple white spirit for spraying etc........................Very Good all in one paint, used in Marine environments etc.

Edited by Rover8FFR