Commenting on other people's vehicles

fv1609

We all see vehicles we like & sometimes vehicles we may have an anxiety about in terms of authenticity. I have an information board to answer most FAQs & many owners do likewise.

The dilemma is if one is still unsure about some feature, it can be difficult. Even posing a question can be taken as overt criticism & the owner can get shirty as it is seen as a challenge. It is often easier to just walk away rather than risk an upset. This subject has been covered before & although one can get overwhelmed at times by seemingly silly questions I would much sooner someone ask me than go away & post a picture on a web site for others to make inaccurate comments.

I stumbled on a site where my Shorland was subject to comments I felt were inaccurate. Yes I was touchy about it because person to person you can explain things, but once on the internet it gets harvested & passed along. It was only by chance that I found this, I think I have been fairly restrained & at least once I had found it there is a right of reply. But I just wonder what other sites may have pictures of your vehicles & comments you know nothing about?

http://www.military-vehicle-photos.com/picture/number5338.asp?c=1991

I think you are correct and merely educating people on military vehicles and their history......

Anyway why are modern day pink panthers not pink?????

Laymans terms can always catch you out.

Your answer now tells the reader a lot more about that vehicle and its close relatives

Situations like this remind me of a story about an air show in the US at which there was a Dakota in beautiful condition, resplendent in pink paint. Some type of camera-bedecked plane spotter made disparaging remarks about its colour scheme to the owner who retorted with a magnificent put-down line which I hope I'll be able to say to somebody one day:

"And what colour is YOUR Dakota?"

We used to have a volunteer at our museum, an armchair Spitfire "expert" who would insist on flaunting his dodgy second-hand knowledge by spouting to RAF veterans who had actually flown or repaired the things, rather than listening to them and learning from them. Thankfully he's no longer with us but there's no way to avoid uninformed or misinformed twits on the net, I'm afraid.

Clive, I have to admire your restraint in the posts that you put on the website that you linked to above. Give them the true facts and maybe, just maybe, a few of the twits will learn.

One thing's for sure, they'll never realise that they are twits.

I like that one Ivor :-D

.."and what colour is your Dakota?" .......heheheheh!.....that's a perfect put down.........:laugh:

Reminds me of many years ago a mate in the AWDC built an absolutely beautiful and radically shortened and soft topped Range Rover....it honestly was superbly built and looked an absolute treat ....then.......he proceeded over the next 2 years or so to give it some kind of battering racing and trialling it and not giving a monkeys as to how much of an hiding it got nor what damage he did ........we lost count of the number of people that in the first few months or so of him rolling it out came up to him to berate him for knocking such a gorgeous truck about........

..............his answer was always the same

"I bought it and built with my money and whilst it's mine I'll do what I want with it.....if you want to make me the right offer you can buy it off me and do what you want to with it as well !"

Hi Clive,

congratulations on what I thing are model examples of restraint coupled with clear reasoning. I think your responses where great. I myself might have gone more for the "and what colour is your shorland" approach :-)

I wish I had a tenth of the skill of many on this forum. Whatever the result I would not wish to comment on the accuracy and certainly not on the quality of the work done by anyone. It's their vehicle, it's their hobby, they are getting pleasure from it and preserving a piece of history along the way, why would you want to be negative about that :rolleyes:

Julian

Bang on there Clive, again I found your reply informative and helpful. Sometimes it is all too easy for the owners to bite back. You only have to look at some YouTube videos for endless flaming over subjects due to everyone being 'right'. Occasionally I correct people when looking at our vehicles, particularly the kids that call the Bren a 'Type 99' due to seeing one on Call of Duty! :D

Thank you everyone for your kind words. Funnily enough I have just come in from painting some of the Shorland substructure & as I lay underneath with red oxide dribbling down my sleeve. I got a text from Daniel in NL telling to stay underneath the Shorland & not look on the forum as I would become red oxide in shade. I thought oh gawd I've upset someone so somewhat nervously came on, so that was a relief. Thank you. :red:

Clive I have always quoted to my siblings at work that they should always listen to the chap building what they have drawn and designed as there is no substitute for knowledge and experience..............

You deserve every kind word said about the matter and you....................

I just hope you cook as well as you teach!!!!!!!!!! :rotfl::whistle::whistle::yay::yay::yay:

Thank you everyone for your kind words. Funnily enough I have just come in from painting some of the Shorland substructure & as I lay underneath with red oxide dribbling down my sleeve. I got a text from Daniel in NL telling to stay underneath the Shorland & not look on the forum as I would become red oxide in shade. I thought oh gawd I've upset someone so somewhat nervously came on, so that was a relief. Thank you. :red:

Clive , could you just clarify the shade of red oxide please ? Just to prevent anymore misunderstandings ! :angel::D:D:D:nut:

Clive , could you just clarify the shade of red oxide please ? Just to prevent anymore misunderstandings ! :angel::D:D:D:nut:

Ah I've been rumbled it should not have any red oxide at all! The armour primer should be yellow chromate & I don't have any of that. I do have zinc chromate in Eau de Nil but that is reserved for the top coat of inside the cipher trailer.

The red oxide I'm using has a higher consistency & more durable than the original primer. When I first restored it 25 years ago I was quite lavish with the red oxide & that has helped preserve it. I have needle gunned it all off & found no rust beneath the only rust is under areas that still have the original primer. I could have skipped much of this work I suppose, nobody is going to see it at a show but I want it to not need doing for another 25 years. Although I won't be around by then one has a sort of moral duty to try help it survive, especially as I believe it is the oldest surviving Shorland.