Leyland Martian - Return of the MadRat

madrat

Thanks for the info Peter, excellent stuff!!!

I've been having a play today, cleaned up the plugs which get her going again! Still running like a bag of spanners though, whilst cranking there is petrol coming from the manifold joints, I have a feeling that might be indicating overfueling :D

Todays fuel consumption was 4 gallons over 500 yards, I make that 14 gallons/mile :shake:

Oh and also had a small fire, somewhere in the carb area but by the time I got out it had gone out! Clutch is still stuck... Anyhow, I'm still smiling, even managed a few pics of her demonstrating axle travel. As you can see the walking beams aren't stuck! And I can stand under the wheel arch in the second picture, and I'm not vertically challenged....

LeylandAxle2.jpg

LeylandAxle1.jpg

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

possibly a porous carburettor float? we had a similar problem with Paulob's Stolly, that was using an obscene amount of fuel (even more than normal!) and running badly as you can imagine. we found that one side of the float was full of petrol!! swapped it for a goodun and bingo, runs sweet.

Glad it still runs!

Trying not to sound alarmist, but as we don't really like sob stories here, would you please arm yourself with at least three large propper petrol fire type extinquishers (one in cab, one on the ground each side of engine) before you do any more tinkering?

I sure Andy can advise on type! :-D

PS, Could you also ground the machine (chain bolted to tank and dropped to earth) when ever you fill up or open the fuel system as a further precaution.

Edited by gritineye

Glad to see some movement there Duncan ! Have you tried the crane engine yet ?

I think my fuel consumption is bad enough without starting any other engines! Also I think the carb is missing, and I've got other carb issues to worry about! ;-)

possibly a porous carburettor float?

That was my first thought, but taking the carb to bits the floats were petrol-tight and dry, I'm still a bit suspicious of the inlet valve thingy... Mind you by the time I buy all the gaskets and diaphragms I wonder if I'd just be better treating her to a new carb?

Trying not to sound alarmist...

Calm down dad!! I had a big AFFF extinguisher in the cab and the petrol tank is now the plastic tank from the boat so no spark issues there. Actually enlisted the help of a friend to track down the source of the fire (More below). But thanks for your concern.... :angel:

Or better still, to avoid any chance of catching fire and blowing up and also to make the thing slightly reliable fit a diesel engine in it.....I would suggest a Detriot 6 71.......:-D

I actually quite like the B81 and the noise it makes, however that Detroit is a fantastic sounding thing!! I reckon given the Martian's low gearing anyway (35mph at 3750rpm) that a diesel might give it speed issues....?

So the update is as follows:

Cleaning the plugs got her going again but she was running really rough, I left off the elbow from the carb and a mate of mine noticed that a backfire through the carb ignited vapor coming from the breather!! I reckon the carb is overfueling to the extent that some of it is getting into the sump :shocked: that would also explain the massive fuel consumption and low(ish) oil pressure....

I had the carb off on Sunday expecting to find a stuck or punctured float but none was found, I also wondered if the electric fuel pump was over-pressuring the carb but even with the electric pump switched off it was overfueling. I reckon that by the time I buy all the gaskets and diaphragms to rebuild the carb I'd be better just buying a new one? After all its the thing which administers my bank balance to the engine so it has to be right!

Some questions if anyone can answer...

1) I'd like to replace the plugs, its already been converted to civvy leads so no shielded ones needed. I believe the RSN12Y (Shielded) plug is recommended for the B81, that's also fitted to the LR series 2.25 engine. I can get an N12Y plug which I think will be fine but need a resistor cap? Any advice on plugs/caps/leads really appreciated!

2) I found Marcus Glen had new carbs for sale, does anyone else know of a source of parts for the B81?

Cheers!

Morning Duncan, could be that the needle valve is crudded up with stale petrol gunk. Is your choke control in the off position? If it is fully on then it will suck fuel like bu99ery!!!

Simon

Morning mate, I had the carb in bits and cleaned out any crap, it wasn't too bad and only had some sludge in the filters around the accelerator pump jets. The choke control cable is working fine so if that's the problem then its an internal issue with that mechanism.

Forgive me for going all technical but in taking out one of the "jets" which is inside the "mouth" of the carb the thing it screwed into was rotating whilst I was trying to loosen the jet! It was too dirty to see what exactly was going on...

I think I should just treat it to a new carb?!

the top picture your are asking about is a folding camp bed, very nice to sleep on if you dont move around to much.... might be a bit short for you..... thats a nice metal box you have in back, any treasurs in it?

Edited by Niels v

What happened to your big shed?

Oh! We don't talk about the big shed any more:angrywe got hammered at new year by big (90mph+) winds and it blew down! We'd left it as a frame whilst getting on with the house, god knows how windy it was to do the damage.... Ripped 20mm anchor studs out the concrete, pulled a tree out the ground it was strapped to and snapped 12x3" timbers like matchsticks... thankfully no-one hurt but a big expensive mess :-)

Shed3.jpg

the top picture your are asking about is a folding camp bed, very nice to sleep on if you dont move around to much.... might be a bit short for you..... thats a nice metal box you have in back, any treasurs in it?

Well done mate, that's been bugging me! No treasures sadly but I did find a spare generator/dynamo in another box!

Calm down dad!! I had a big AFFF extinguisher in the cab and the petrol tank is now the plastic tank from the boat so no spark issues there. Actually enlisted the help of a friend to track down the source of the fire (More below). But thanks for your concern.... :angel:

Sad thing is that post sounded exactly like my dad....:shake:

Sad thing is that post sounded exactly like my dad....:shake:

Don't worry mate, it happens to all of us! Just to cheer you up, tonight Jason told me "Dream, Rugged, Robin" just before he went down to sleep! You have inspired the boy....

• 9 months later...

Evening all, Madrat reporting for duty!! :saluting:

Well its been a busy year, can't believe its been 9 months since I updated this thread! I got the Martian in the shed for the winter but its costing me big ££'s, time then to get her sorted out and ready for the 15 mile drive to my place!

Been gathering bits and pieces for her, new plugs/leads are sitting here along with a new carb. Thinking about the shocking fuel economy and the vapor out the breather catching fire I reckon the mechanical fuel pump is dead, there is an electrical pump but its routed through the old mechanical one. I reckon its pumping tons of fuel into the crankcase, so that'll get bypassed and the engine oil changed for starters!

Bought a decent flaring kit that will do up to 1/2", I need to make new steering pipes as they are rusted and pissing fluid. Then once she is running better I can try the (back wheels lifted) clutch unsticking dance!

Also bought a little toy to play with in the meantime, a rare 1959 Unimog 404 Doka :D fuel economy to make the Leyland's 3.5mpg seem quite reasonable size for size... Its got a number plate that reads "PSYCOS" which is quite appropriate for me ;-)

All the best to everyone for xmas and the new year when it comes!

Duncan

T2eC16ZHJFoE9nh6pMoBQoOQ50eQ60_12.jpg