Leyland Martian - Return of the MadRat

madrat

Mine is army number 44BM75, chassis number 538276.

Its not on my list but that only seems to cover those in 42nd Regiment, I'm assuming you have seen this picture before? I probably stole it from you anyway :cool2:

Leyland44BM75.jpg

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now you are making me wish I had not sold my Martian, I could have converted it from a cargo to FV1122 8" Howitzer tractor by lowing the tilt to the level of the top of the cab.:undecided:

Just buy this one Mike:

http://www.milweb.net/classifieds/large_image.php?ad=60951&cat=4

That's a bloody bargain as far as I can tell, already has an oil burner fitted as well.... go on go on go on...:cool2:

how are the rear brakes connected, from the article it did look like it had wires like on the Scammell

Each wheel brake has its own air actuator, handbrake is a large disc on the transfer box output. It is still a single air system but far more powerful than the Scammell Pioneer/Exploder system; my one would lock the rear wheels on a dry road with a 5 ton load in the back.:shocked:

Thanks to Rosco on HMVF I have been able to get a copy of the "wheels and tracks" article on the martian, I think its interesting reading.... Will hopefully have my truck up the road by this weekend :D

WT23010.jpg

WT23011.jpg

WT23012.jpg

WT23013.jpg

WT23014.jpg

WT23015.jpg

WT23016.jpg

WT23017.jpg

WT23018.jpg

Thanks to Rosco on HMVF I have been able to get a copy of the "wheels and tracks" article on the martian, I think its interesting reading.... Will hopefully have my truck up the road by this weekend :D

WT23014.jpg

Well done for posting those Madrat, the above shows the similarity between the Cargo and the rare 8" Howitzer Tractor. For some reason I have only seen the loading davit on the Cargo version, it fitted as shown above and also dropped into adaptors either side of the rear body.

Good luck with the trip home, are you driving it?

Did you have any luck talking to the lad from 42 OCA about your "Beast" ? I'll have to show my battery (49 Inkerman) your photos in Nov at our reunion.

Niallmhor

Hi Niallmhor, I had a few comments on the Forum, always good to hear of personal experiences with these trucks!

Well done for posting those Madrat, the above shows the similarity between the Cargo and the rare 8" Howitzer Tractor. For some reason I have only seen the loading davit on the Cargo version, it fitted as shown above and also dropped into adaptors either side of the rear body.

Good luck with the trip home, are you driving it?

I only heard about the article, it was a kind member on here who answered my plee and scanned the article for me!

I've never seen one of those 8" Howitzer tractors, and would probably not have noticed the loading davit if you hadn't mentioned it! Was this for assisting with a wheel change?

Not driving it anywhere until its a bit more sorted, also over 400 miles at 3ish MPG! Its coming up on a low-loader, leaving Wed night. Keep you eyes pealed users of the M5/M6 motorways!

:drive:

I've never seen one of those 8" Howitzer tractors, and would probably not have noticed the loading davit if you hadn't mentioned it! Was this for assisting with a wheel change?

:drive:

Not sure, there was no mention of it in the handbook.

OSU8092.jpg

Well the good news is that the Leyland is now sat on top of a low-loader parked up in Berkshire! Unfortunately I'm heading south to Chester tomorrow so I'll be heading down south as it heads up north! I'll get a chance to play with it on Sunday :cool2:

Well the good news is that the Leyland is now sat on top of a low-loader parked up in Berkshire! Unfortunately I'm heading south to Chester tomorrow so I'll be heading down south as it heads up north! I'll get a chance to play with it on Sunday :cool2:

Hoorah ! I wonder if I can follow her up on google earth ? Bet you can't wait to see if she'll pop that clutch now you know how to select low ratio in 6x6 ! :D I shall need regular video updates as I have 1% ownership mate ! :D:D:D:D

Hoorah ! I wonder if I can follow her up on google earth ? Bet you can't wait to see if she'll pop that clutch now you know how to select low ratio in 6x6 ! :D I shall need regular video updates as I have 1% ownership mate ! :D:D:D:D

I now know how to get her into low, what I don't know is where is the 6 wheel driver lever is! And yeah, can't wait to set the points properly (I will email you that guide) and get driving around :-D

I'm afraid yours and Bernard's 1% ownership was cancelled out by the exhaust box "incident" :rotfl:

I now know how to get her into low, what I don't know is where is the 6 wheel driver lever is! And yeah, can't wait to set the points properly (I will email you that guide) and get driving around :-D

I'm afraid yours and Bernard's 1% ownership was cancelled out by the exhaust box "incident" :rotfl:

WE COULD STILL HEAD HER OFF AT THE BORDER YOU KNOW ! :evil: :angel:

WE COULD STILL HEAD HER OFF AT THE BORDER YOU KNOW ! :evil: :angel:

I'd suggest an interception on the M5 might be less travel time for you? Anyway I have a ninja truck driver bringing her up... :beatenup::box:

Tell him not to stop in any secluded laybys for a kip this side of the border ! :D

The Ninja driver NEVER sleeps... Anyway, most folks wouldn't go near the Leyland in case someone asks them to contribute to the fuel bill ;)

No good trying to pull that old stunt, we know you're never ever gonna fit a silencer......atomic.gif

Actually that's quite correct, I think it would be wrong to do something like that.... So the 1% share is reinstated, I look forward to received the cheque in the post for 1% of the transport cost and 1% of the first 500 litre tank of fuel :cool2:

Actually that's quite correct, I think it would be wrong to do something like that.... So the 1% share is reinstated, I look forward to received the cheque in the post for 1% of the transport cost and 1% of the first 500 litre tank of fuel :cool2:

Errrm....thinking about it, can't remember any thing about any 1%, this all came as a surprise to me.... I reckon Andy must have kept my share.

Oh and a total result on the transport cost, because they combined it with another load they only charged me £1/mile for the 600 mile round trip!!

:yay::dancinggirls::yay:

Well that's excellent, made it a pretty good buy then, all things considered, no hope of a similar deal for Beltring I suppose? :D

Well that's excellent, made it a pretty good buy then, all things considered, no hope of a similar deal for Beltring I suppose? :-D

Putting aside the fact that we'll be out the country I suspect that the 4 week collection time might not work that well for the organizers?! I'll just need to win the lottery then buy a Scamell Amazon plus low-loader :D

Is she there yet ? Is she there yet ? Is she there yet ? Is she there yet ? Is she there yet ? Is she there yet ? Is she there yet ? Is she there yet ? Is she there yet ? Is she there yet ? Is she there yet ? Is she there yet ? Is she there yet ? Is she there yet ? Is she there yet ? Is she there yet ? Is she there yet ? Is she there yet ? Is she there yet ? Is she there yet ? Is she there yet ? Is she there yet ? Is she there yet ? Is she there yet ? Is she there yet ? Is she there yet ? Is she there yet ? Is she there yet ? Is she there yet ? Is she there yet ? Is she there yet ? Is she there yet ? :-D:-D:-D:-D:-D