Daimler ferret exhaust - newly built silencer - test driver wanted !

Fugly

Hello All

A chap I know who is not on this forum is having some exhaust silencers made to the same design as the original , from the same materials etc , as close as possible. He is a ferret owner and has one on his own ferret , but does not do many miles.

He is hoping to locate a ferret driver who does plenty of miles over the summer , who goes to plenty of shows etc to test drive the exhaust system and give a commentary on the fitting , and use. I have seen the finished article and the quality looks very good, but wants to get some miles on one.

He is prepared to loan the silencer FOC over the summer , and at the end of the summer the ferret owner can either buy it at cost price (less a discount for the help given) or they can give it back to him and put their own box back on. Its a no lose situation for someone - also it may act as a driving advert as the person goes to various shows.

It is planned to make some centre boxes up on the same basis - but as a new business venture wants to get some confidence in the products.

Any takers !!!

Only apply if you are a high mile ferret driver !

Stainless steel would have been better but its great in many respects that someone wants to have a go at making the exhaust and center bin. You have to commend them for that. It would be better if J.C. would join the forum and sell the things himself.

The only thing that you have to worry about in regards to the exhaust is if the side wall of the muffler/exhaust box is thick enough to stop the exhaust resonating.

Edited by ferrettkitt

If stainless was a superior material , I can only wonder why the MOD didn't use stainless? I agree with sirhc that it would be a better material to use but there must be some reason they didn't use it - doubt it would be cost as that doesnt appear to be the biggest priority for the MOD (ok , maybe nowadays it is :)) . When you look at the overall cost of a vehicle I doubt a stainless exhaust would have added much cost

These exhausts will be about £270 so they are not expensive on the grand scheme of things. Stainless would add quite a bit to that price.

If stainless was a superior material , I can only wonder why the MOD didn't use stainless? I agree with sirhc that it would be a better material to use but there must be some reason they didn't use it - doubt it would be cost as that doesnt appear to be the biggest priority for the MOD (ok , maybe nowadays it is :)) . When you look at the overall cost of a vehicle I doubt a stainless exhaust would have added much cost

These exhausts will be about £270 so they are not expensive on the grand scheme of things. Stainless would add quite a bit to that price.

Stainless steel has come to the fore more as classic cars have become more available and we have more leisure time. Classic cars are used mainly in the summer. In regards to the MOD (War Department as was) mild steel might have been the easiest and the most convenient and the conventional way of supplying exhausts to vehicles circa 1950.

I installed a stainless steel exhaust on my MGB GT when I had that, I bet the car is still fitted with it.

£270 is a great price

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DAIMLER-FERRET-EXHAUST-SILENCER-NEW-/260937130966?pt=UK_Cars_Parts_Vehicles_Other_Vehicle_Parts_Accessories_ET&hash=item3cc110a3d6#ht_500wt_1202

Why make it out of mild steel and not stainless? I've had a sainless one on mine for years with no issues.

Chris

Hi Chris If Stainless was good Im sure a big company like the Army, might just have thought of that. and they shatter after a while.

;)

Stainless steel would have been better but its great in many respects that someone wants to have a go at making the exhaust and center bin. You have to commend them for that. It would be better if J.C. would join the forum and sell the things himself.

The only thing that you have to worry about in regards to the exhaust is if the side wall of the muffler/exhaust box is thick enough to stop the exhaust resonating.

Hi Andy IM in at last, do you want to see this Exhaust on mine? jc