ex RN Utilicon 1958

alixcompo

I used to drive a slightly less elderly one of them all over the country, quite an adventure at times....happy days!

Keep us updated with progress, they must be getting very rare now.... though you seem to have another, is that for parts?

I used to drive a slightly less elderly one of them all over the country, quite an adventure at times....happy days!

Keep us updated with progress, they must be getting very rare now.... though you seem to have another, is that for parts?

I wish I had another for spares. That the place I bought it from. He had a lot of old stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

Progress on the van has been a little erratic. I have spent a lot of time sourcing parts and doing internet reserch.

Last weekend (when it snowed) I went up to Stafford (from Essex) and collected a shed load of CA spares. I am very grateful to Paul who I got them off as his prices were very generous to say the least.

I have excellent condition replacement front and rear doors. Particularly handy as I have repaired one front door to the shape of the body (which was bent) also I wont have have to paint over the original serial numbers.

I'm still short of 2 16" wheels but I have a full set of 15" which will have to do for now.

Unfortunately one of my boys has rather badly damaged a knee and cannot go to work... Fortunately he is a panel beater/sprayer and very bored. In a hour today he did what would have taken me a week to less effect. I'm hoping his knees heals thouroghly over about a month.....

Pics to follow.

Unfortunately one of my boys has rather badly damaged a knee and cannot go to work... Fortunately he is a panel beater/sprayer and very bored. In a hour today he did what would have taken me a week to less effect. I'm hoping his knees heals thouroghly over about a month.....

Is it just me who is picturing a Stephen King's Misery-style scenario developing here?? :wow:

Alec :-D

DSC00526.jpg

Progress. My subtle method of welding bolts to the bodywork in order to pull out the dents has been very successful so far.

The roof had a big crease in it where something must have fallen against it at some time. The cut down 'Acrow' jack removed 99% of it

In the previous shot you can see the scar in the roof. This has still to be tweaked as the window fram isn't quite in line and I don't really want to be relying on the glass to hold the bodywork straight.

And talking of straight..... Look at this side. He's a clever boy my lad but I mustn't tell him.

And for those following this thread.... I haven't had to resort to whacking his leg with a sledgehammer....... This week..!

DSC00527.jpg

He's wasted doing them boring ordinary cars and trucks, I reckon everyone on here could keep him employed ...:cool2:

If you are only short two 16" rims, put the two you have on the back and give it that trendy forward rake till you find the other two.

Gordon

AS long as it rolls... I think with one 13" wheel it would be forever turning left or right.

Well done for taking that on. Although not as old as many vehicles on here I know that 50's and 60's vehicles were used a lot over salted roads and few survived.

I can't remember the last time I saw one of those in the flesh, regardless of how common they once were.

Gordon

I'm still amazed how strong this van is. Loads and loads of dents but still strong.

Can't imagine the last time it was on the road. It has the old type underseal that trapped moisture; yet I am able to peel the underseal off with metal underneath.

I bought it as a welding project and it turns out to be a panel beaters holiday.

I am stillvery excited