SAS Smock copy

Eaglehurst

That there is a Curve Ball you just thrown...lol

Looks like they copied the 85 pattern version looking at the colour of the green and brown. I take it it has the pocket on the right arm?

Although it is a good find to have as many a squadie purchased there own things.

Jon

Survival Aids were one of the few sources during the late-70s and early 80s where you could obtain the "SAS" smock as the issue item was not generally available on the surplus market.......I think the company ordered them from the same contractors supplying the MoD, thus they are basically identical to the issue item.......

Around the same time they also offered a copy of the late model 59 pattern Denison, although the cammo print, studs and zip were not quite a true replica of the original issue items phased out of MoD manufacture by 1975-76......

Another item made was a copy of the tropical cellular airtex shirt and cross-buckle drill trousers in green......I have a pair of the latter and they are identical to the issue item apart from labeling.......

Survival Aids always were at Morland Nr. Penrith , I don't know when they were established. They had a growth boom - they then had outlet shops at Edinburgh and Euston Station Approach and this would be early 1980's. I think this original SA Ltd. Co. went bonk.

There was also a good hiking equipment shop at Richmond , North Yorks who sold S.A. kit , he sold quite a bit to soldiers at Catterick Garrison.

The owner of this shop reliably informed me that S.A. actually manufactured the smocks for the SAS , I don't know if this is in fact correct - this must have been abt. 1985/86.

I in fact purchased a SAS smock from this shop - then sold it on to a friend, this was for a couple of reasons - he wanted it and offered me more than I paid, because it was DP - I hardly used it. I realized I had made a mistake - I did not heed the advise of the shop owner. He understood my needs better than I , he said I would not wear it as often as the Grenfell(s) he knew I used. I ended up buying what he said I should obtain in the first place (I still have it in excellent condition - because I tended to continue to use Grenfell walkers).

This jacket is a "Arctic Ranger" - the shop prop. told me it was a far superior jacket to the SAS smock , further he stated it was in fact made by Survival Aids, that they were contracted to supply jackets for the "Outward Bounds" - as used by kids & staff.

It is double-lined , 100% ventile cotton..

Edited by ruxy
spellin