Is there an M3A3 Stuart in the UK?

ajmac

I was flicking through a book about Normandy the other day and saw a number of M3A3s, those are the radial engine stuarts with the welded sloped hulls, in British units. Which made me think that I have never seen one in the flesh...is there on at Duxford? I guess there aren't any private hands in the UK...

I was flicking through a book about Normandy the other day and saw a number of M3A3s, those are the radial engine stuarts with the welded sloped hulls, in British units. Which made me think that I have never seen one in the flesh...is there on at Duxford? I guess there aren't any private hands in the UK...

Nigel Hay once had the only one in the UK, I think it was sold to Kevin Wheatcroft?

sorry to butt in with a bit of a thread departure...but ..at least 25 ish years ago at the old steam and vintage show they used to have at Much Marcle near Ledbury there was a lovely Stuart (unknown model sorry !) on display in good running order...

what was distinctive about the tank was that the turret had been missing when the tank was acquired so the fella replaced it with a very good immitation one built out of simple sheet steel welded to a steel box section frame and added a steel pipe to make a dummy gun barrell.......it was really well done and I wonder if that tank is still about ? .anyone know of it nowadays???

sorry to butt in with a bit of a thread departure...but ..at least 25 ish years ago at the old steam and vintage show they used to have at Much Marcle near Ledbury there was a lovely Stuart (unknown model sorry !) on display in good running order...

what was distinctive about the tank was that the turret had been missing when the tank was acquired so the fella replaced it with a very good immitation one built out of simple sheet steel welded to a steel box section frame and added a steel pipe to make a dummy gun barrell.......it was really well done and I wonder if that tank is still about ? .anyone know of it nowadays???

Was it the same Stuart which could be seen at Beltring for quite a few years? That is an turretless M5A1 Gun Tower, converted by the British Army after WW2 to tow the 17-pdr AT Gun. It was sold some years ago, the new owner has turned it into a turretless recce vehicle.

That sounds like one of Bob James's Stuarts. It was M5A1 converted to a 17 pounder gun tower. Came from a dealer in Sussex before that, who had several.