WW2 British Vehicle Bridge Plates

thedawnpatrol

If l understood your post you say the bridge plate that is the round metal plate was fitted by the army what l said is that there is photo graphic  evidence that the plates were fitted in the factory and the lettering was done in some cases. by the unit but there is photographic evidence some of which has a appeared on this forum of motorcycles already lettered up awaiting to be delivered to there units 

WALLY

Hi Wally,

I have this from the instruction book Army For the Middle East.

1941 Austin K2y Ambula
Hi Wally,

1941 Austin K2y Ambulances of the 1 AACC (Queensland) the bridge weight is painted above the Bridge plate.(c1942)

France 1940

Factory Pictures,

No Bridge plate (c1940)

Factory photograph  the Ambulance does have the census number painted on it, as in post 1942 system (c1943)

later Factory picture. ( c1944)

These Vehicles are leaving the factory under Army control,(bridge plates filled in) the caption relating to this,
says ‘they are operational, by the fitting of the bridge plate” I think this should be by painting of the bridge plate load.

Taken in 1940 prototype QL, never handed over to the WD.(bridge plate blank and TAC plate)
1943, note factory workers, Bridge plates are Blank.
Extra info.
Bridge loading disc M.T. part no.MT1/19158.
this WD part number I cannot find listed by Austin, before April 1944 (note my records are limited).

For the Austin Motor company part no. 2H 3620.
This part no. Appears from 1941 onwards.
As you can see some early problems.
Regs
Rupert

nces of the 1 AACC (Queensland) the bridge weight is painted above the Bridge plate.(c1942)

France 1940

Factory Pictures,

No Bridge plate (c1940)

Factory photograph  the Ambulance does have the census number painted on it, as in post 1942 system (c1943)

These Vehicles are leaving the factory under Army control,(bridge plates filled in) the caption relating to this,
says ‘they are operational, by the fitting of the bridge plate” I think this should be by painting of the bridge plate load.

Taken in 1940 prototype QL, never handed over to the WD.(bridge plate blank and TAC plate)

Extra info.
this WD part number I cannot find listed by Austin, before April 1944 (note my records are limited).

To conclude, the Army painted the plates or they were paint prior to being picked up.
Regs
Rupert

sorry pics would not move over

Hi Wally,

1941 Austin K2y Ambula
Hi Wally,

1941 Austin K2y Ambulances of the 1 AACC (Queensland) the bridge weight is painted above the Bridge plate.(c1942)

France 1940

Factory Pictures,

No Bridge plate (c1940)

Extra info.

Regs
Rupert

nces of the 1 AACC (Queensland) the bridge weight is painted above the Bridge plate.(c1942)

France 1940

Factory Pictures,

No Bridge plate (c1940)

Extra info.

To conclude, the Army painted the plates or they were paint prior to being picked up.
Regs
Rupert

sorry pics would not move over

IMG_7672.JPG

IMG_7674.jpg

IMG_7676.jpg

062549--2-.jpg

7 hours ago, rupert condick said:

Hi Wally

Having trouble with the pics.

I think you can work the order out

regs

Rupert

Clip_121.jpg

Thanks for this, it jogs a memory and asks a question.

In Dundee, there was a building, now owned by the University which had what looked like divisional flash's on the stone entrance columns, is there similar guidance.

My father was the Maintenance Officer and pointed them out to me, they appear to have gone now

I think this debate can go on what l will say that l cannot comment on vehicle been sent overseas wether they had details applied even less so on austrailian  forces but what l can comment on those  british forces in 1991 l appealed to local ex military associations for a ex army sign writer one did volunteer a recently retired sign writer his CV was as follows born 1924 started his apprenticeship 1939 called up 1942 RASC  due to his previous trade he went in as sign writer what he did  say was he did complete sign writing on vehicles when they arrived and on some only final small details .

He came to the museum  in 1991 and left in 2002 the last vehicle he did was a bedford portee his work can be seen in a number of museums in the uk including the NATIONAL ARMY MUSEUM As  with anything to do  with the military there will be exceptions to the rules

55 minutes ago, wally dugan said:

I think this debate can go on what l will say that l cannot comment on vehicle been sent overseas wether they had details applied even less so on austrailian  forces but what l can comment on those  british forces in 1991 l appealed to local ex military associations for a ex army sign writer one did volunteer a recently retired sign writer his CV was as follows born 1924 started his apprenticeship 1939 called up 1942 RASC  due to his previous trade he went in as sign writer what he did  say was he did complete sign writing on vehicles when they arrived and on some only final small details .

He came to the museum  in 1991 and left in 2002 the last vehicle he did was a bedford portee his work can be seen in a number of museums in the uk including the NATIONAL ARMY MUSEUM As  with anything to do  with the military there will be exceptions to the rules

Hope he got the recognition he deserved, sign writers frequently did not, I knew one who was in the RAF

i Wally

managed To sort the pics outIMG_7672.thumb.jpg.91ccdfc459c390ac7f852dde3700d269.jpg

New Vehicles leaving the factory under Army control, bridge plates painted.IMG_7676.thumb.jpg.5622c35125290f51e0f0719b6fedcbdc.jpg

New Vehicles leaving the factory under civilian control. Bridge plate blank.

IMG_7674.thumb.jpg.ceaef1e052ae0daf33a80510398f5859.jpg

bedford QL under test Civilian control.(never issued to the WD)

best I have.

Refer to  book 27954/SD2b, Middle East. for correct bridge plate markings, ( and other. stuff)

regs

Rupert

8 hours ago, rupert condick said:

i Wally

managed To sort the pics outIMG_7672.thumb.jpg.91ccdfc459c390ac7f852dde3700d269.jpg

New Vehicles leaving the factory under Army control, bridge plates painted.IMG_7676.thumb.jpg.5622c35125290f51e0f0719b6fedcbdc.jpg

New Vehicles leaving the factory under civilian control. Bridge plate blank.

IMG_7674.thumb.jpg.ceaef1e052ae0daf33a80510398f5859.jpg

bedford QL under test Civilian control.(never issued to the WD)

best I have.

Refer to  book 27954/SD2b, Middle East. for correct bridge plate markings, ( and other. stuff)

regs

Rupert

Rupert 

i am not sure of the point you are trying to make here. Top photo is of the work done by Pearson’s of Liverpool. They assembled and prepared vehicles for the Allies that were shipped into the docks from US and Canada.

the photo of the Bedford QLB gun tractor shows it with trade plates belonging to Vauxhall Motors, the makers. What makes you think this vehicle was never issued to the army?

l think you are right my visit to that area was to another public official body in connection to several incidents concerning a ex military land rover that was using  military style plates at several locations in Scotland at  that time as far apart as Edinburgh and  Oban

On 6/5/2019 at 4:07 PM, Richard Farrant said:

Rupert 

i am not sure of the point you are trying to make here. Top photo is of the work done by Pearson’s of Liverpool. They assembled and prepared vehicles for the Allies that were shipped into the docks from US and Canada.

the photo of the Bedford QLB gun tractor shows it with trade plates belonging to Vauxhall Motors, the makers. What makes you think this vehicle was never issued to the army?

Hi Richard,

the topic Wally raised, was if there was photographic evidence that factories painted in the bridge plate wights,the pictures show new issued vehicles, one under army control and one under civilian control.

according  to the book After the War was over, (about Pearsons of Liverpool)

the picture of the Bedford QL(prototype) page 43 sates "this "Test"vehicle was never handed over to the war office"

the bridge plate not painted in, it can be seen in the book that even refurbished vehicles had blank Bridge plates ( but not in all cases)

regs

rupert

RUPERT in your post 15 april you say the bridge plates were fitted by   the army and l replied that was not the case and there was /is photographic evidence to show the plates on vehicles while still in the factory you now are talking about the painting of the bridge classification number not as far as l can see the same subject