Any useful advice about taking a jeep over to Normandy?

jonesy

I'm planning to take my jeep out to Normandy next June staying around St. Marie du Mont. This will be the first time that I'll be taking my jeep over so I could do with advice on do's and dont's. With luck, I'll be towing it.

I'm aware of some customs forms to fill in regarding returning to the UK with an MV. How are the French with de-acts being on the jeep?

Any useful snippets will be handy.

Neil.

Take some spare tubes with you. We were charged 90 euros for mending two punctures on some combat rims that we had aready sripped out for the guy, avoid the tyre garage in Aromanches beside the militaria shop at all costs!!

Take some spare oil filter/timing cover return flexi pipes, we had one burst on us.

Cheers, Tim.

Do your own catering.....its a nightmare finding anywhere open for Breakfast and Dinner (this was by far the biggest issue we found).

We took two Jeeps over in 2010 and used 1 x coil, 2 x Condensors and had a Crankshaft Flywheel shear off which needed welding back on as we did not have a spare. My Temp gauge also stopped working, so take as many spares as you can manage really.

Dont travel in the UK on a Friday!

I didnt take my Carbine, and nobody asked to see my Export licence (thats not to say they wont next time??)

Make sure your handbrake works for the Ferry, although they do have chocks for the wheels.

Dont try to park anywhere near Arromanche on D-Day....it wont be possible, but take your Jeep on the beach there....excellent fun.

Take a full petrol can! When traveling around the American sector countryside, petrol stations are sparce. We came very close on a few occasions to running out!

We are taking 5 Jeeps over this year and you are quite welcome to join us and/or meet up whilst over there? We are doing Sunday 3rd to Sat 9th June, staying at the Overlord show on Sat 2nd prior to sailing.

One of the best things i have ever done. You will love it!

Have fun.

Richard

Hi

We also go every June and stay in St. Marie du Mont, which is exclelent place to be with the camp and the night time entertainment, Never really had any issues. Just take the normaly spares and ensure you check over the vehcile before going and give a good service. We trailer down to pool and drive on the ferry with the jeeps and drive from Cherbourge, takes about an hour. Ensure you fill out the custom forms think these are then picked up by your passport and number plates from what i understand. We always take Wepons and never have any issues just need to book them on the ferry in advanced.

Your more than welcome to tag along anywhere with us we have some good routes and things to see by jeep.

If i can be any more help drop us a PM

Thanks for the input gents. Tony, I must have seen you this year at St. Marie du Mont as I was camping on Utah Beach and spent most of the time at the village. Such a lovely place and it looked great with all the MV's camped around the church.

I may take you up on the offer of tagging along with you as that's the location I'd love to take the jeep next year. I'll pm you soon with questions.

Neil.

We stay on the municipal site in either St. Mare Eglise or Carentan, both extremely good. Which ever site we stay on we always call into St Marie Dumont when travelling between these two towns. We have lunch in one of the restaurants opposite the church. You will always be welcome to join our group, just contact the North Staffs Area. MVT. We do a five day visit normally, but go for ten days every fifth year.

Don't drive on major roads or in the dark, when you have to;

If you have to use a amber beacon (not sure of legality but its for safety, even modern lights don't warn others of the slower speed.)

Wear a high visibility vest (and bring a spare)

Take a good flashlight/headlamp along.

Warning triangle.

Loving the proper British advice of bring your own tea bags. Can't stand a crappy brew. America's even worse with their lipton tea.

Since getting the jeep a year ago, I've only had the top on once and that was on the run to Taunton to get the Band of Brothers actors on the Saturday.

With regards to the municipal sites in either St. Mare Eglise or Carentan, do you need to book in advance to stay there?

• 4 weeks later...

Good thing is most MV owners have First Aid kits, and remeber you are REQUIRED to stop at an acident to see if you can render assistance, spare bulbs, fire extingusher and Hi Vi jackets as a matter of course. The ferry crew may do a war dance over pionner tools, cable tie them down and tell them they aren't removable. They also don't like Jerry cans. I just leave the tops open so they can see there are no fumes.