Where do I get a Steering Wheel restored ?

Ian L

Heres one I did a while ago...[ATTACH=CONFIG]51727[/ATTACH]

Nice job Paul but I'm affraid my wheel is a lot worse than yours, it crumbles away to the touch so will need a new one casting over the frame.

Any ideas ?

Cheers Ian

I used Lancaster Vintage & Classic up in Morecambe . They subsequently set up the Wheelwrights company as their exclusive steering wheel restoration enterprise . I had a very decrepit Morris 10cwt wheel which came back looking absolutely like new . Not cheap by any means but worth it to me .

If you fancy the DIY route Frosts do a restoration kit but I've not tried one so can't comment on the effectiveness of it .

Paul,

Your picture of the finished wheel, can I ask what have you painted it with? And how strong is the paint.

I need to do my stolly steering wheel, it's aluminum, and I was thinking perhaps having it stove enameled, but what do you recommend!

Many thanks

Shaun

Paul,

Your picture of the finished wheel, can I ask what have you painted it with? And how strong is the paint.

I need to do my stolly steering wheel, it's aluminum, and I was thinking perhaps having it stove enameled, but what do you recommend!

Many thanks

Shaun

Plastikote spray paint - B&Q

And use plastic metal not araldite to fill cracks and replace lost outer covering. If the inside has rust /grind/dremel back to clean the metal and kill the rust.

total cost for that wheel - less than a tenner.

I did of course mean to say "chemical metal". I really must remember to fully engage brain before typing.....

The reasons that it is better than araldite (although for small cracks thats great) is that it is stiffer when mixed up and can be shaped better than straight epoxy, which gets runny as it warms. It is also a bit easier to shape when it goes off.

I did of course mean to say "chemical metal". I really must remember to fully engage brain before typing.....

The reasons that it is better than araldite (although for small cracks thats great) is that it is stiffer when mixed up and can be shaped better than straight epoxy, which gets runny as it warms. It is also a bit easier to shape when it goes off.

Plasteel in the clear tube is the best I've found. Just breack off a lump and knead then apply, It will fix nigh on anything.

I used Lancaster Vintage & Classic up in Morecambe . They subsequently set up the Wheelwrights company as their exclusive steering wheel restoration enterprise . I had a very decrepit Morris 10cwt wheel which came back looking absolutely like new . Not cheap by any means but worth it to me .

If you fancy the DIY route Frosts do a restoration kit but I've not tried one so can't comment on the effectiveness of it .

Hi Dave I phoned Lancaster Vintage today & they want £400 + to make a new wheel from scratch as they wont restore an old wheel but http://www.steeringwheelrestoration.co.uk/ quoted £275 to remould over the origional steel spokes so may have to go that way ?