Bedford MW Detail

44GPW

Hello Guy,

The correct rear lights for a 1944 mw is No 5 or No 5a rubbolites, i think No 5a has the window for the number plate light and no 5 doesn't. There would have been two of these on the outside rail of the tool box, one for the brake light and one for the tail light.

The badgewould have been the rectanglar pressed steel one. Yhe same as the one on this

ox

regards John

396.jpg

100_1616.jpg

Edited by rippo

Thanks John, exactly what i was looking for.

Are these Rubbolites available from anywhere or is it just a case of searching the Autojumble stalls?

Thanks again.

Richard

None of the vintage car parts dealers seem to have them any more. I've picked a few up on ebay. The most I've paid was about £22.

http://www.classic-car-accessories.com/lamps/

http://www.vintagecarparts.co.uk/products/257amb-rubber-indicator-lamp

Part 257AMB on the main page looks promising , until to you go to the detail and then it is definitely a diffrent item. Might be worth enquiring if the 'detail' page pictures are the item you get - or the main page one. It might be they have both?

Edited by No Signals

http://www.classic-car-accessories.com/lamps/

http://www.vintagecarparts.co.uk/products/257amb-rubber-indicator-lamp

Part 257AMB on the main page looks promising , until to you go to the detail and then it is definitely a diffrent item. Might be worth enquiring if the 'detail' page pictures are the item you get - or the main page one. It might be they have both?

Great find!

Re your question, read the note on the site: "A neat rear lamp, with single mounting which can be supplied with a flat lens instead of the domed amber lens fitted, to give a lamp of vintage appearance, into which 5w bulbs only will fit. double contact bulb holder"

Great find!

Re your question, read the note on the site: "A neat rear lamp, with single mounting which can be supplied with a flat lens instead of the domed amber lens fitted, to give a lamp of vintage appearance, into which 5w bulbs only will fit. double contact bulb holder"

I have got one of these, it is modelled on one of the larger Rubbolite lamps. Not road legal though as it is a plain red lens

Ivor,

Thats great....thanks for that.

Still a little confused though?? Would a 1944 MW originally of had the metal version of the small Rubbolite lamps (1 stop and 1 tail) and would they have been fitted on or near to the toolbox? The photo of the "bail out" shows them in the same position as Maurices MW, closer to the centre?

As the original set up is not road legal, is the norm for MW owners to fit them in the correct position, then have an additional road legal set mounted?

Thanks

Richard

Hello,

The rubber ones are correct for your mw, the metal ones were fitted to the early 1940-41 models. Rubbolite ones are listed in the parts book for all mw's but pictures show different.

I was going to fit rubbolite ones to my mw, untill i saw maurices mw, then looking at pictures, and i had the holes in the right place on the body, they went on the body. Up till then i would have put them on the locker. I have a number of period pictures showing them there also.

Here's a picture of a captured early bedford showing the lights in the middle, from the Z number this is from the same contract as mine. The bail out one is also an early MW.

British%20Trucks%207.jpg

bedford rear light.jpg

Edited by rippo

Also, here are two pictures of two later mw's i had, both had original wood work, the blue one is a 1941 and the green one 1943,

They don't have the correct lights on, but there are no spare holes in the middle of the body. So far i haven't seen a later mw with the holes in the middle.

This one shows one light, the other may be behind the tail board, but its on the locker rather than the middle.

The best thing to do is have to look and see if you have any spare holes, there is nothing to say they were fitted in the same place all the time.

The wiring diagram shows Rubbolites too, and shows there is no definative answer, as the period pictures show they weren't rubbolites. Maybe a shortage of lights? and they were put under the body to protect them?. Other 15cwts of the period have rubbolites and they are generally on the locker also, or the outer edge of body. If yor eyes are really good you will notice there is no convoy light on the diagram, later diagrams show it and the headlamps and sidelights change to the smaller ones, but they alwyas show rubbolites on the rear.

100_1762.jpg

100_1807.jpg

mach3.jpg

000_0218.jpg

Edited by rippo

Good news, I picked a good '43 MW up before christmas and it now lives here in Kesgrave, Ipswich, its my first military truck but i've done old cars before.....there's at least one other around Ipswich.

Not sure how original mine is though! But if you need to look at anything let me know!

mike