CCKW Data Plates

shopnut

Hi shopnut,

I have got a set of plates for a Gmc cckw "Tipper" being delivered sometime in the next week or so.

They are coming from Poland, i will let you know what they are like when they arrive.

Regards David Robertson.

Thanks David, look forward to your thoughts on the plates. Shopnut.

Have you researched the proper data plates? There are over 21 different plates in 5 major groups. The plates that come from 'Poland' (I see them on ebay) are lacking as to correct plates.

None should be brass. They used zinc for production trucks. I cannot find anything that points to brass plates (some very, very early trucks had factory brass plates) but like the great rubber purge, brass was quickly put on the 'strategic materials' list and data plates would not have been given an exception.

Post your trucks SN if you like and I can get some plate info for you.

Have you researched the proper data plates? There are over 21 different plates in 5 major groups. The plates that come from 'Poland' (I see them on ebay) are lacking as to correct plates.None should be brass. They used zinc for production trucks. I cannot find anything that points to brass plates (some very, very early trucks had factory brass plates) but like the great rubber purge, brass was quickly put on the 'strategic materials' list and data plates would not have been given an exception.Post your trucks SN if you like and I can get some plate info for you.
Deadline, I'm missing the plate from the middle of the dash that shows the gear lever positions. My trucks chassis no is CCKW352 315834. Any thoughts you have on the correct replacement would be much appreciated. Kind regards Vulture

Have you researched the proper data plates? There are over 21 different plates in 5 major groups. The plates that come from 'Poland' (I see them on ebay) are lacking as to correct plates.

None should be brass. They used zinc for production trucks. I cannot find anything that points to brass plates (some very, very early trucks had factory brass plates) but like the great rubber purge, brass was quickly put on the 'strategic materials' list and data plates would not have been given an exception.

Post your trucks SN if you like and I can get some plate info for you.

Hi

I did purchase and remove a set of plates, except chassis no' plate, which was missing, from a closed cab, truck and cab was derilect, when I got them home, cleaned off the layers of paint and grime, plates were brass, this must have been a early truck. I would not want to use them on a open cab.

As I have a late open cab, its as you state, the zinc plated type I am looking for, truck serial No' 353-359616-1.

Would still like to hear from you David when you receive yours.

Regards

Robert in Poland has many different plates available - very few are advertised at any time, for example he has no GMC plates in his ebay shop right now.

I have had a set of zinc M6 plates which were a stock item and which were quite reasonable quality, also two sets of Autocar plates (one brass, one zinc) made to my own artwork - some of which (artwork) he tidied up nicely before producing. These were superb technically, and since I scanned some original plates and some large photos of plates from an original manual and gave the outline sizes for these, I am happy they are 100% correct.

As Deadline implied, you need to know exactly what you want, then check proofs carefully (check spelling :cool2:) and you should be very satisfied with the result.

Hi,

Mine are coming from Robert in Poland. As you say NOS he does not have any in his ebay shop. I bought a winch plate in zinc first to check quality, It looks good.

I then sent him some details and a scan of a plate for my Hillman Utility, he emailed me a proof, it also looks good, at the same time i enquired about late model (zinc) plates for my cckw dump and we will see what arrives.

I will post pictures of all the plates when they arrive.

I also plan to email deadline my chassis numbers, yes numbers, i have different numbers on front and rear chassis (Airborne Truck) and see what he can dig up. The different numbers have always been a puzzle ?

Thanks, regards David.

Hi guys

I also need a complete set of data plates for my open cab jimmy 353 with winch.

The ones I have in my hard cab 353 I think came from Emile Becker (as the truck was used on the front cover of his GMC book) and they are very good.

Be very interested to see yours from Poland Dave and then make a judgement. Maybe we can tie up an order together Robert for both sets.

Is there any contact info or web sites for the people listed with data plates?

I have started collecting plates and have a few. I just picked up 3 registration plates this weekend... even a rare GMC 6x4 5 ton plate. I kinda stopped once I got the correct plates for my mid-43 open cab. But will buy them when I see one that I don't have.

The 'Becker book' has a lot of data plates, but they are hand drawn... they do not have the different fonts that I have seen on the different plates I have in my possession.

I will dig up what I have and post what I find.

I have a meager collection, but I will get them online. At least they are easy to scan.

Mr. Rimmer, if you don't mind may I post the images of the plates at tm9-801.com for reference?

Would be cool to get a timeline going of the plates and what trucks they would go with.

• 1 month later...

Sorry for the delay in posting pictures of the Gmc data plates from Poland (camera problems).

Here they are now. The left column contains the new plates and the right has one from my spares truck and below that a brass one from a march '42 hardcab, then a reconditioning plate also from the spares truck and lastly a poor reproduction to show what not to buy, it is just a frisbee !

Data plate 003.jpg

• 2 months later...
Sorry for the delay in posting pictures of the Gmc data plates from Poland (camera problems).

Here they are now. The left column contains the new plates and the right has one from my spares truck and below that a brass one from a march '42 hardcab, then a reconditioning plate also from the spares truck and lastly a poor reproduction to show what not to buy, it is just a frisbee !

Hello David, They look great, in-fact I would like to buy a set for my mid series H1 could you please send me the makers contact details.

Cheers

Hello David, They look great, in-fact I would like to buy a set for my mid series H1 could you please send me the makers contact details.

Cheers

Hi packman,

Please look at ebay, item number 270767706929, this is the winch plate that i bought for my Gmc.

As said in an earlier post, Robert does not list Gmc plates in his ebay shop but if you contact him, he will be able to help.

Regards David.