Ferret wheel cylinder question

robin craig

In the parts manual fig G6 shows the brakes.

It is unclear what the make up of the parts related to the wheel cylinder piston are.

Conventionally one has a rubber cup mounted on the front face of the piston facing inwards and a dust excluding seal around the mouth of the bore.

Does anyone know the sizes of either of these or have a picture they can post?

We have a Ferret in for a safety check (MOT) and the wheel cylinder is leaking and we are trying to expedite the process and get it on the road asap by buying seals locally.

Some dimensions would help, if not we are waiting over a week for seals or new wheel cylinder from the UK

Any answers welcome here or by email

Robin

Hi,

Have you removed and examined the cylinder - not hard to do. It may be that you will need a complete cylinder, since they are made of an aluminium alloy they are prone to corrosion of the cylinder bore.

The alternative is to get the cylinder resleeved in stainless steel. which is about the same cost or less than a complete cylinder with cable.

Champ spares in the UK hold the seals - quite quick service as well as cylinders. The cylinder and the cable can be split and exchanged to save downtime if cable is sound.

Be sure it is the cylinder since an overfilled hub can appear to be a leaking seal on initial examination.

Another problem can be the steel bleed screws seizing in the clylinder. Stainless steel bleed screws are available from http://ccsfasteners.co.uk/index.php.

Diana and Jackie

In the parts manual fig G6 shows the brakes.

It is unclear what the make up of the parts related to the wheel cylinder piston are.

Conventionally one has a rubber cup mounted on the front face of the piston facing inwards and a dust excluding seal around the mouth of the bore.

Does anyone know the sizes of either of these or have a picture they can post?

We have a Ferret in for a safety check (MOT) and the wheel cylinder is leaking and we are trying to expedite the process and get it on the road asap by buying seals locally.

Some dimensions would help, if not we are waiting over a week for seals or new wheel cylinder from the UK

Any answers welcome here or by email

Robin

Edited by Diana and Jackie
info missing

well, thanks for the posts chaps and ladies.

The cup is an inch and an eighth as described, the cup looks near perfect but the bore does not look so perfect.

We will "borrow" a new cup from a stack of Land Rover spares we know about and replace afterwards.

We will touch it with a hone in the morning and see what happens, if not we will have to await a new housing.

We are crossing our fingers.

Note to file, change this puppy over to silicone brake fluid long term plan perhaps.

Thanks to all concerned.

R

Hi,

if one wheel cylinder is suspect then it is likely they all are, as in the master cylindern all probability.

Master Cylinders are freely available on ebay if you do need one and not at the price one organisation who deal in military spares is charging either.

If you intend useing synthetic (DOT5) brake fluid then you must change all the seals and flush the system.

In hindsight I think we would have had, when we had similar problems, all the cylinders relined in stainless steel, as after shopping around for quotes to do that it would have been cheaper.

Diana & Jackie

well, thanks for the posts chaps and ladies.

The cup is an inch and an eighth as described, the cup looks near perfect but the bore does not look so perfect.

We will "borrow" a new cup from a stack of Land Rover spares we know about and replace afterwards.

We will touch it with a hone in the morning and see what happens, if not we will have to await a new housing.

We are crossing our fingers.

Note to file, change this puppy over to silicone brake fluid long term plan perhaps.

Thanks to all concerned.

R

Exactly right

I had a leaking cylinder and changed the seal, the fluid was terrible (not changed at all by a previous owner by the look and bore was corroded) Anyway, I cleaned the bore - it still leaked even with a new seal (from champ spares) I ended up replacing all 4 cylinders and flushed the system, they were all shot :-).

Cheers

Matt

Did you check the master cylinder?

Slide the rubber boot back if possible and see if there's liquid inside.

If so master cylinder is likely to be gone as well.

Use cable ties to hold the boot in place if the steel rings are shot

D&J

Exactly right

I had a leaking cylinder and changed the seal, the fluid was terrible (not changed at all by a previous owner by the look and bore was corroded) Anyway, I cleaned the bore - it still leaked even with a new seal (from champ spares) I ended up replacing all 4 cylinders and flushed the system, they were all shot :-).

Cheers

Matt

Edited by Diana and Jackie

Did you check the master cylinder?

Slide the rubber boot back if possible and see if there's liquid inside.

If so master cylinder is likely to be gone as well.

Use cable ties to hold the boot in place if the steel rings are shot

D&J

Thanks D&J

I will do that. I think there might be a weep as I noticed the other day that there might be something leaking near the pedals.

Cheers

Matt